Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Brake Failure warning message

2011 rt. Brakes work great, Replaced rear brakes no problem, came back and bled brakes, failure message comes up!
    I think the mistake I made was turning the key to the on position. Any thoughts? or suggestion on a reset.

Thanks

Spyder Garage

Default Let's see...

Make sure you refilled the resivoirs to the full level.Check the sensor and wires to the ABS rear brake. Check the brakelight switch at the pedal, check the senors at the resivoir tanks and all brake lights. Shut her down and remove the key and allow the computers to reset. Hopefully it is just the fluid level or the computer reset...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

With the Brake Failure Message on the screen. Press the Mode, Set and Turn Signal Cancel at the same. The code(s) will appear. Write them down and post here. We will point you in the right direction.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    With the Brake Failure Message on the screen. Press the Mode, Set and Turn Signal Cancel at the same. The code(s) will appear. Write them down and post here. We will point you in the right direction.
    c1282

Spyder Garage

Default C1282

​Check brake circuit for possible fluid leak.
    2020 F3 Ltd

Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Brake/Run/Turn Signal LED's
    Lamonster Garage LED Fog Lights and Headlights
    2013 ST-S retired 1/9/16 at 25,061 miles
    2015 F3S sold at 77,565 miles.
    2015 F3-S , BajaRon Plugs Can-Am Red

Spyder Garage

That is what I would expect if you happened to turn on the key before you pumped up the brakes after doing some work. It's a low pressure fault. The brake pedal traveled too far before there was enough pressure in the system. As you said you where afraid of. It is one of the few sticky faults that have to be reset.

Turn the key on and wait until it fully boots up.
    Press down hard on the brake pedal and hold it.
    Turn the key off and wait until it completely shuts down. Wait 30 seconds just to be sure.
    Only then release the brake pedal.
    The fault should be cleared the next power up. If not try again.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

That is what I would expect if you happened to turn on the key before you pumped up the brakes after doing some work. It's a low pressure fault. The brake pedal traveled too far before there was enough pressure in the system. As you said you where afraid of. It is one of the few sticky faults that have to be reset.

Turn the key off and wait until it completely shuts down. Wait 30 seconds just to be sure.
    Thanks, I'll give it a try. No leaks, brakes work great.

Spyder Garage

Well no leaks. going to cost me $30 to have the code cleared.

Spyder Garage

Default Brake Failure warning

I have been plagued with this warning light for nearly a year on my 2015 ST Limited. I have to believe it's a flaky sensor. It normally pops up after the bike has been ridden for a while and then stopped and then re-started (like a gas stop). It first occurred on the Blue Ridge Pkwy, after a scenic stop. Both brake reservoirs are topped off and the brakes work fine. The warning light will go away at some point, but sometimes it will stay on for hours. Does anyone know where the brake oil level sensors are located? Can they be easily replaced?
    2021 RT Limited , Deep Marsala Metallic (red)

Spyder Garage

They're the white floats that you can see right inside the reservoir when you take the caps off.
    Wife has a 2014 ST-L
    2014 ST Limited , Silver Platinum Satin

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Randy McClure View Post
    Well no leaks. going to cost me $30 to have the code cleared.
    If you are going to pay to have the shop hook up BUDS, make sure they actually test the sensor. They do go bad. Its easy to check once BUDS is hooked up.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Well, this is certainly an intermittent 'failure' so I'm not sure that they would test "bad" (or even which one is faulty). Any idea what they cost?
    2021 RT Limited , Deep Marsala Metallic (red)

Spyder Garage

This is an old thread but I thought I'd reply to say thank you and this actually works.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spickus View Post
    This is an old thread but I thought I'd reply to say thank you and this actually works.
    If tbe cause of the C1282 fault was a leak, bad fluid or bad master cylinder. It will come back.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

If tbe cause of the C1282 fault was a leak, bad fluid or bad master cylinder. It will come back.
    It's not a leak. I removed the body and checked very carefully. I'm not sure how fluid can be bad. Do you mean contaminated? I have had a problem with air in the lines on 2 occasions but there is no missing fluid and no oil any where on the bike. After inspecting the bike from one end to the other I bled the brakes. The front was fine but there was a ridiculous amount of air in the rear. I just don't know how that much air can be in there with no apparent leaks. They work like new now.

Spyder Garage

Default Had this happen on my 2011 RT

This happened to me. Same code after I had been moving the bike around a lot in the garage while it wasn't running but I was applying the brake a lot.
    Fluid level was ok.
    Buds was never hooked up but the code went away and never came back.
    Last edited by Wrongway; 06-26-2018 at 07:37 AM.
    Greg
    2015 RT Limited (White)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spickus View Post
    It's not a leak. I removed the body and checked very carefully. I'm not sure how fluid can be bad. Do you mean contaminated? I have had a problem with air in the lines on 2 occasions but there is no missing fluid and no oil any where on the bike. After inspecting the bike from one end to the other I bled the brakes. The front was fine but there was a ridiculous amount of air in the rear. I just don't know how that much air can be in there with no apparent leaks. They work like new now.
    So you found the problem and fixed it. It won't likely come back then. I often have to deal with folks that believe that ressing the code fixes it and nothing else needs to done.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

I just don't understand where the air is coming from.

Spyder Garage

This does work, I had to do it twice for it to take, but it worked like a charm. Thanks.

Spyder Garage

Default 2012 rss se5

Resurrecting an old thread here,....Im getting the infamous "brake failure scroll"... I have a 2012 RSS SE5 with right at 15k,....Brakes were bled with BUDS last year at dealer,..Problem just started out of nowhere,Brakes perform normally,fluid level is to the very top and I was trying to pull a code by using billybovine's procedure here but I cant get any code to come up,...I press all 3 switches at same time as soon as I see the brake failure scroll...(it only scrolls when its running and PB released)....any suggestions on what I might be doing wrong?...Thanks in advance.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sulaco View Post
    Resurrecting an old thread here,....Im getting the infamous "brake failure scroll"... I have a 2012 RSS SE5 with right at 15k,....Brakes were bled with BUDS last year at dealer,..Problem just started out of nowhere,Brakes perform normally,fluid level is to the very top and I was trying to pull a code by using billybovine's procedure here but I cant get any code to come up,...I press all 3 switches at same time as soon as I see the brake failure scroll...(it only scrolls when its running and PB released)....any suggestions on what I might be doing wrong?...Thanks in advance.
    The problem is that you are using the code retrieval process for a RT and you have a RS. They are not the same.

With engine running.
    Press the mode button repeatedly until "engine hours" (total hours) shows on display. Make sure you do not release the mode button when you get to "engine hours"
    While still holding the mode button. Flash high beams 5 times within 2 seconds.
    If there are no active faults "No Active Fault Code" will be displayed.
    If there is an active fault, an alphanumeric code will be displayed.
    If there are more than one active code, you may press MODE to cycle through them.

If you cannot start the engine.
    Press and hold the headlight overrun button on the front of the right handlebar controls.
    Press the mode button repeatedly until "engine hours" (total hours) shows on display. Make sure you do not release the mode button when you get to "engine hours"
    While still holding the mode button and headlight overrun button. Flash high beams 5 times within 2 seconds.
    If there are no active faults "No Active Fault Code" will be displayed.
    If there is an active fault, an alphanumeric code will be displayed.
    If there are more than one active code, you may press MODE to cycle through them.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Make sure your reservoir lids are on the right way, check your manual!

Spyder Garage

The problem is that you are using the code retrieval process for a RT and you have a RS. They are not the same.
    I thought about that after I posted (DOH)....Thank you!,Will get back ASAP.

Spyder Garage

I opted for the engine not running method (thx billybovine for the 2 options)I got home from work late afternoon and because I have a pretty loud exhaust and didn't want to disturb anyone later in the evening on this gorgeous Mothers day here in north Texas (Hope everyone had a great Mothers day!).....Anyway I ran the test twice and only code I can retrieve is OC 1282.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sulaco View Post
    I opted for the engine not running method (thx billybovine for the 2 options)I got home from work late afternoon and because I have a pretty loud exhaust and didn't want to disturb anyone later in the evening on this gorgeous Mothers day here in north Texas (Hope everyone had a great Mothers day!).....Anyway I ran the test twice and only code I can retrieve is OC 1282.
    That is a low pressure fault. If there is not enough pressure in either the front or rear brake system. When the brake pedal has moved far enough to trip the low pressure switch. That triggers the code.

Inspect the braking system for leaks. Safety is number one.

Is the brake pedal firm. If not. The brake need to bled again.

If you think the brake pedal is firm and there are no leaks. Then try and reset the fault.

If that does not work after several tries. It could be a bad master cylinder or sensor.

2018 F3 LIMITED