Spyder Garage

Default Motor interchange between years?

I just got a 2012 rt sm5 with only 2k miles on it. (Sold to me as a none runner) It has a spun rod... Looking to get another motor but I am not sure about what is years are interchangeable?? Any help would be appreciated.

Spyder Garage

Anything up to 2013 from an RT should work, altho basically any V-twin should fit; but if I was doing it I'd try to get the motor AND the ECU too, especially if it was a motor from anything but an RT, altho the 2013 RT's did get more low rev torque than the earlier tunes...

But please note well, the RSS's & ST's had slightly relaxed Nanny conditions when compared to any of the RT's, cos the RT's have a higher CoG & are a little heavier, so the Nanny for the RT's was set just a little less relaxed, & that might make a little difference in the limits of performance & braking...

Over to you.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Default Agree

have you looked into repairing the engine..? Nice opportunity to beef it up..
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

I've heard that they sell re-build & upgrade kits for the 'same motor, better tune' Aprilias, and it's not as tho Rotax motors aren't used in all sorts of machines & vehicles that rely on ultimate reliability.... that 're-build rather than re-place' might just be worth a look?
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Look for a RT SM engine from 2010 to 2013, RS or ST 2013 to 2016. They are all the same engine series. RS engines 2008 to 2012 are significantly different and would be a big job to make compatible.

Nanny programing does not reside in the ecm but in the vcm and would not change with an engine swap. So is not a concern.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    Look for a RT SM engine from 2010 to 2013, RS or ST 2013 to 2016. They are all the same engine series. RS engines 2008 to 2012 are significantly different and would be a big job to make compatible.

Nanny programing does not reside in the ecm but in the vcm and would not change with an engine swap. So is not a concern.

Just curious BB, what/how 'significantly different' is the early RS engine?
    The best substitute for brains & knowledge is....................silence.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Freddy View Post

Just curious BB, what/how 'significantly different' is the early RS engine?
    The bottom end is the same. The differences starts at the heads. The RS has a larger combustion chamber volume. So lower compression ratio. The cams are different as well. Resulting in a higher peak horsepower. The big difference for doing an engine swap is the throttle body. The RS has a mechanical throttle connected directly to the throttle grip. RT is a throttle by wire. The ECM controls the throttle. The throttle grip is just another input into the ECM.

2018 F3 LIMITED