Spyder Garage

Default Bajaron's (anti)-sway bar and Heim links made me Curvy :)

I spent the weekend wrenching in between rain spells. I got Bajaron's (anti)-sway bar and Heim links installed. I am new to riding a Spyder and was pretty scared in the curves. I read the cornering fear goes away with time in saddle but I also read this was a great worthwhile mod and that you could really tell the difference in handling. It is winter so why not wrench and have it done. So glad I didn't wait, I instantly felt the improvement. I finished up with enough time to get about a 45 minute ride in. I was grinning ear to ear as I hunted for curves while feeling so much more at ease with the improved tracking. I can't wait to get the Rivco handlebar risers, mirror extenders, and laser alignment done. Also got an oil change done and frunk liner installed.
    The ramps gave me plenty of room to do the install. The Kava kept me smiling and patient while doing the wrenching
    20180224_133624.jpg20180225_174405.jpg
    Roadkrome luggage rack
    Shad SH45 hard case
    Bajaron anti-sway bar and Heim links
    Mirror extensions
    Spyderpops air dam foam kit
    Rivco handlebar risers (purchased and on my mods to do list)

"A damn good feeling to run these roads" - Tyler Childers
    "I close my eyes, it was all so clear, it was all right then, it was all right there" - Tyler Childers
    "Woke up today and decided to kill my ego, it ain't ever done me no good no how" - Sturgill Simpson
    www.squanchkava.com

Spyder Garage

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

What Mirror extenders are you going with?
    2016 RT Limited - Hicklin Powersport (Des Moines, IA)

BaJaRon Swaybar, Custom Painted (Sue Hopper), Dashmount, Dongle - BRP, FOBO Tire Monitoring System, Lidlox, Magic Mirror Mounts , Safety Light Package,
    Wide-Vu Mirrors, Hopnel Saddlebag Liners, Saddlebag Nets, F$ Tall Boy Windshield (without Vent)

Odds & Ends
    Ron Bandy Motorcycle Driving Course - ronbandy.com
    1000A Battery Pack, Air Pack, Black Dymond Detailer
    2016 RT Limited , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tyris View Post
    What Mirror extenders are you going with?
    I found them on ebay. Looks like it has a route so you don't have to mess with the wires. Here are some pics.
    20180226_205808.jpg20180226_205727.jpg
    Roadkrome luggage rack
    Shad SH45 hard case
    Mirror extensions

"I close my eyes, it was all so clear, it was all right then, it was all right there" - Tyler Childers
    "Woke up today and decided to kill my ego, it ain't ever done me no good no how" - Sturgill Simpson
    www.squanchkava.com

Spyder Garage

Default Good Job!

The sway bar helps a lot! Most likely the laser alignment will freak you out as to how much it improves your handling! Those extensions look like what I used, and they did help with mirror adjustment, although I had to use some locktite and star washers to keep them snug.

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Swaybar

Thanks For the TIP. Enjoy the great Ryde.
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Squanchkava72 View Post
    I spent the weekend wrenching in between rain spells. I got Bajaron's (anti)-sway bar and Heim links installed. I am new to riding a Spyder and was pretty scared in the curves. I read the cornering fear goes away with time in saddle but I also read this was a great worthwhile mod and that you could really tell the difference in handling. It is winter so why not wrench and have it done. So glad I didn't wait, I instantly felt the improvement. I finished up with enough time to get about a 45 minute ride in. I was grinning ear to ear as I hunted for curves while feeling so much more at ease with the improved tracking. I can't wait to get the Rivco handlebar risers, mirror extenders, and laser alignment done. Also got an oil change done and frunk liner installed.
    The ramps gave me plenty of room to do the install. The Kava kept me smiling and patient while doing the wrenching
    20180224_133624.jpg20180225_174405.jpg
    Curious as to how long it took and how much knowledge was required. I am unfortunately not much of a wrench guy
    2015 RTL , Yes Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by LeftCoast View Post
    Curious as to how long it took and how much knowledge was required. I am unfortunately not much of a wrench guy
    I'm no mechanic by any means. Your are really just loosening and tightening bolts. I always give myself plenty of time so I don't get frustrated and so I can double check everything. The instructions were basic but gave enough info and were simple to follow. There is a good video on youtube showing the job.
    You will need two 13mm wrenches, as it is too tight to get ratchets in there. I used one of those flat ratcheting open wrenches and one normal open wrenches and that helped a lot. Probably only took 1/2 or 45 minutes of actually wrenching the old parts off and putting the new ones on. You definitively need to put the front tires up on ramps or on blocks.

You will have to take some tupperware off then loosen the four top bolts of the Frunk and remove the two on the bottom so you push the Frunk out a little and put a piece of wood to give a work space gap between the sway bar and bottom of the Frunk.

I was worried because I saw no instructions or videos on swapping the Heim links and thought this would be hard. My RS has those A arm plastic covers so I took them off and then I had plenty enough room to get the Heim link bolts off. I actually undid the top Heim link bolt and loosened the bottom bolt so it would rest down and not move anything. Then bolted on the new Heim link on at the top bolt. I probably didn't need to but I tried to keep it angled the same angle before I took the bottom Heim link bolt off that connects it to the sway bar arm to remove the stock Heim link. Then loosely bolted the bottom of the new Heim link on.
    Oh and you don't have much room under there so be careful when you tightened the bolts as my wrist flew off and I punched my own eye. I almost gave myself half a raccoon.

Then you just remove the bottom two bolts holding the sway bar in place. And leave to top bolts just barely on to pull the sway bar down and off. Then put the new one on (be careful with the new rubber boots) and tighten up the all the bolts.

Not a bad job just take your time.
    Last edited by Squanchkava72; 02-28-2018 at 08:30 AM.
    Roadkrome luggage rack
    Shad SH45 hard case
    Mirror extensions

www.squanchkava.com