Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DGoebel View Post
    Ah, we'll accept cumulative mileage from all your cycles... Though the OP was asking about Spyder mileage... but we've all strayed at one time or another....<
    Was wondering when that subject would come up.

My posted statistics in signature are Spyder only. The two wheel stuff is just extra gravy and I keep track of that for my own personal. I put 3,500 miles on my new Vulcan between June 30 and shutdown (late October) last year--lots of Spyder miles too.

Wait till somebody asks a question about what states to fill in on a map? Then the fight starts.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

AKSPyderman, I only show Spyder states in my map, after 20 years in the AF, If I did all states I've rode in, I'd need a world map... two (different) of my cycles have been to Europe and the Philippines thanks to our tax dollars at work.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DGoebel View Post
    AKSPyderman, I only show Spyder states in my map, after 20 years in the AF, If I did all states I've rode in, I'd need a world map... two (different) of my cycles have been to Europe and the Philippines thanks to our tax dollars at work.
    I used to have a map. It showed all the states I rode in. If it was just Spyder, I would only have AK, HI, and two Canadian Providences. No map, no issues.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Since the end of September 2015 till now and I have 19k on mine going to work and some limited trips. Had to drive the truck more this winter so I saved about 3k on the Spyder. Now it's raining about every day. ...

If I didn't work 12 hrs a day I'd have more miles.
    2021 RTL Marsala Dark Edition 4.13.2021
    Lamonster Riser
    Spyder Extras Docking station
    Zumo XT (my own Plug & Play cable)
    WrapMySpyder Carbon fiber partial kit.
    Baja Ron ultra performance sway bar and end links

2015 RTS SM6 Intense Red
    born on date 3/2015 (mine on 9/12/15)
    Sold on 4.13.2021 33k of fun.

Spyder Garage

Default daily driver

Her spyder is a commuter car so its on the go 7 days a week when the temp is above 40 and we took it to florida last year just the milage back from key west was about 2000 so 20,000 in 13 months was easy this year we have no vacation plans or trips to sturgis so i would think about 15,000 for the year.
    2018 F3s , Gold

Spyder Garage

Geography has definitely played a role in how many miles I get to ride. We lived in Florida for a while and in two years cranked out almost 33,000 miles on our RT. Now back in Maine I'm lucky to get 6,000 a year. Down south it was just a different life. Bike nights. Group rides. Long 300 mile days. Up here in the north it just seems harder to find the time or the weather to just hop on and go.

But I can definitely relate to the spiritual comments I'm reading on this thread. Smelling the different trees. The salt air. There's just a feeling we get that's hard to explain. Also love reading about you guys and gals in your 70s and 80s. Ride on everyone. And keep writing!
    Bill H.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    ...My posted statistics in signature are Spyder only...
    Then you need to update them to "4.5 miles per post."
    Or is it just this long winter causing a temporary discrepancy?
    NEW - 2015 RT Limited SE6 Intense Red Pearl - 07/21/15
    Retained the old mirrors with TricLed Signals
    General Altimax RT43 rear tire (at...17,000 miles) Ran for 36,500 miles
    Michelin Defender.......rear tire (at...53,500 miles) Ran for 60,700 miles
    Riken Raptor HR.........rear tire (at 114,200 miles)
    Vredestein Quatrac 5 front tires (at 70,500 miles, first new fronts!)
    Gear Brake Decelerometer Module

OLD - 2012 RT Limited SE5 Pearl White - 01/31/13 - Traded in at 32,600 miles.
    BajaRon Anti-sway Bar
    Kumho ECSTA AST rear tire (at 14,200 miles)
    TricLed Turn Signals in Mirrors
    2015 Limited , Intense Red Pearl

Spyder Garage

Default Not many Here

The wife and I love ours, we purchased our 2013 RTL in June of 17 and had 3500 miles on it in 4 months we stayed local and have some good twisties in the area. As others have said it is the smiles, just yesterday we did a short 60 miles of smiles as the weather warmed up enough. We had our midlife crisis a little late but hope our health holds out also as this is so much fun we just wish we wold have done it sooner

Dave

Spyder Garage

Default Age restricted...NOT

I spent that the last 2 months in America’s Friendliest Town, The Villages Fl. Joined the Villages Spyder Ryders club and rode with several retirees on several different rides. Each and every one had nothing but SMILES AND SMILES on all the miles ridden. Age was not a concern and many looked far younger than the calendar proved! Ride on!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post
    Not to worry my friend, it only gets worse with age. At 78 (come April 7th) I am not about to cave in. We "seniors " don't need all those Spyder miles. It is not the amount of miles one rides but the enjoyment of the miles one rides. I rode for years with a gung ho guy that bragged about how many miles he rode each day and each trip. He was only obsessed with that. He was so focused on that I do not think he ever enjoyed riding. For me it is the "spiritual" part of the ride I enjoy most. Nothing to do with religion. Some will know what I am talking about, some will not.

​Jack
    Jack, I'm your age and agree and understand 100% where you are coming from on the mileage thing!! Keep riding buddy.
    BIG F

Spyder Garage

I am in my mid 50's and work full-time in the work force, last riding season ( from April to mid Oct.) I put on 6,000 miles.

I have a 2014RTS -SE6 Cognac.

Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights
    Marinco 12Volt Power Receptacle with polarized leads & slide lock
    Show chrome Trunk Shock

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Post BEST THERAPY MONEY CAN BUY

GREAT RESPONCE FROM EVERYONE.THIS COMING SEASON WILL ONLY BE MY 2ND SUMMER ON A SPYDER,AND I HAVE TO SAY THAT IT WAS THE BEST INVESTMENT IN MY LIFE.I HAD BIKES MY WHOLE LIFE GROWING UP BUT THEY WENT AWAY WHEN THE KIDS ARRIVED.NOW THAT THE KIDS ARE HAVING KIDS I GOT THE WIFE TO GET ON THE BACK AND WE ARE HAVING THE TIME OF OUR LIVES.I WAS ALSO STRESSING ABOUT NOT ENOUGH MILES AND THEN WAS REMINDED THAT ITS THE JOURNEY NOT THE DESTINATION.ENJOY

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by LeftCoast View Post
    As a newbie looking to buy his first Spyder there is so much wisdom in this thread.

Thank you!
    There's a lot of wisdom; but even more "wise guys".
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Hero

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman2013 View Post
    Just ride what you like, as many miles as you like. Last year for my 60th birthday I rode from Las Vegas NV to Lake George, NY for Spyderquest alone. It was all about the journey and sightseeing. It was 7,300 miles of smiles. Nevada, Idaho, Wyoming, Montana, North Dakota, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania, New York, Vermont, Indiana, Illinois, Missouri, Kansas, Colorado, Utah, Arizona. The memories are great.

You sir are my newest hero!!!

Life is GOOD...............
    2015 F3S
    SmoothSpyder backrest
    lidloxs
    Gloryder F3 Logo Lights
    Lamonster mirror relocations and turn signals
    Lamonster fog light kit
    Lamonster Power Plate
    X Grip
    Ram mount

Spyder Garage

Some of us cheat - I am retired, However, I put a lot of miles (30k one year) just by riding - including commuting - before retiring. In most weather. Then there was the Glacier trip, then the Canadian Rockies trip . . .
    08 RS/SM5 (Hers) (sold)
    15 RT-S (Mine)
    2015 RT-S , Metallic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by missouriboy View Post
    Then you need to update them to "4.5 miles per post."
    Or is it just this long winter causing a temporary discrepancy?
    4.5 rounded is close enough to 5. See any of my gas mileage posts. Carrying out anything like that to 15 decimals makes the information appear more accurate than it really is. To many other factors involved to carry anything more than one decimal place--IMO of course.

My summer of surgeries bit into my mileage a bit. I am also posting less. Mileage should catch up this next riding season.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I would love to put that kind of mileage on my spyder. Just not feasible with kids, work and everything else going on. I look at those numbers in envy!!
    How many miles will a spyder be good for on average do you all think? I have seen some stuff that some of these crotch rockets start do die out after 50k. And it seems our spyders must be a lot better considering the amount miles some of you guys put on them a year.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Interesting thread, logically, it would seem the Rotax engine that constantly turns up higher rpms, than say, a six cylinder Gold Wing engine, would fail sooner. I dunno, just a thought. Maybe the Rotax engine is something special, it's been around a long time.

Spyder Garage

Well lets hope it is haha.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bikerbillone View Post
    Interesting thread, logically, it would seem the Rotax engine that constantly turns up higher rpms, than say, a six cylinder Gold Wing engine, would fail sooner. I dunno, just a thought. Maybe the Rotax engine is something special, it's been around a long time.
    Logically yes but I think the Rotax engines are incredibly well designed and built.

Base this on several observations - all based on the V-twin engine as that's the one I'm familiar with.
    • It's very rare that you ever hear of engine issues on this forum. Electrical issues yes, but that's common with all modern vehicles. But no repeated stories of blown pistons, knackered bearings etc. Compare that with other bike make forums and that's very unusual.
    • The same V-twin engine was used in the Aprilia RSV and the tuning has been softened for the Spyder - so the engine was originally designed to handle far greater stress than it has to in our Spyders.
    • Rotax build engines for aircraft so used to engineering to very high quality

On a personal level my Spyder (a 2011 RS) puts up with some very hard treatment. It will often left unridden for a month or more and then suddenly expected to do several 1000 mile days back to back, Each of those days its being ridden 19 to 20 hours non-stop. This isn't on highways either but twisty, mountainous roads with constant gear changes etc.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Good show, I totally enjoy reading about the engine quality, even though I don't ride the Canam Spyder. I like reading what the rider likes about his machine. There's not much 'out there' on other forums on the Spyder.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by INFAMOUS View Post
    I would love to put that kind of mileage on my spyder. Just not feasible with kids, work and everything else going on. I look at those numbers in envy!!
    How many miles will a spyder be good for on average do you all think? I have seen some stuff that some of these crotch rockets start do die out after 50k. And it seems our spyders must be a lot better considering the amount miles some of you guys put on them a year.
    There are a few on SL that have exceeded the 100K mark.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PistonBlown View Post
    ...I think the Rotax engines are incredibly well designed and built.

It's very rare that you ever hear of engine issues on this forum... no repeated stories of blown pistons, etc.
    I agree wholeheartedly with your entire post.

So would you care to share which brand of machine inspired your choice of UserName?
    NEW - 2015 RT Limited SE6 Intense Red Pearl - 07/21/15
    Retained the old mirrors with TricLed Signals
    General Altimax RT43 rear tire (at...17,000 miles) Ran for 36,500 miles
    Michelin Defender.......rear tire (at...53,500 miles) Ran for 60,700 miles
    Riken Raptor HR.........rear tire (at 114,200 miles)
    Vredestein Quatrac 5 front tires (at 70,500 miles, first new fronts!)
    Gear Brake Decelerometer Module

OLD - 2012 RT Limited SE5 Pearl White - 01/31/13 - Traded in at 32,600 miles.
    BajaRon Anti-sway Bar
    Kumho ECSTA AST rear tire (at 14,200 miles)
    TricLed Turn Signals in Mirrors
    2015 Limited , Intense Red Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by missouriboy View Post
    I agree wholeheartedly with your entire post.

So would you care to share which brand of machine inspired your choice of UserName?
    A Honda...says it all really.

In my defence I was trying to keep up with a mate on his Yamaha which had twice the CC's.

...and I managed to limp that Honda 80 miles back home with only one cylinder - though there were quite a few stops to top up the oil:-)

My mates description "He was riding along beside me when he suddenly disappeared backwards, looked behind and the entire road was filled with white smoke"

Hence the nickname.
    Last edited by PistonBlown; 03-15-2018 at 09:30 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SPYD3R View Post
    i bought a brand new TOYOTA TUNDRA MAX CAB 5.7 in Mar. 2007... best 4 wheeled vehicle i've ever owned, (and i've owned everything from Corvettes to Lincolns, trucks & tractors)... i still have my TUNDRA, and it has 49,000+ miles of smiles on it.... still an AWESOME vehicle...

in Feb 2015, i purchased my brand new CAN AM SPYD3R F3-S... i currently have 45,000 miles of serious SMILES on her...

what can i say...? i much prefer riding than driving... 2 X-country rides, and 2 rides to Canada, and i ride 12 months per year, and have NO ISSUES with riding 500 - 700 miles per day... sometimes 14 hrs in the saddle... and i'm knocking on 70 in March...

for your enjoyment, ride the way you feel comfortable... don't try to please anyone else - otherwise you'll be very disappointed and the enjoyment is GONE.... personally, i would NEVER consider putting my F3 on a trailer and towing her someplace, but if that's what you need to do, then so be it.... just enjoy your investment, and don't listen to anyone else's directives, it's your ride & your life, live it your way....

ride safely....
    Dan P
    SPYDER

Dan P - - I'll go you one better. My Honey bought a Tundra Crew Cab 4x4 in 2010. He's a residential builder and this is a WORK TRUCK. It's pulled concrete trucks in and out the mud at job sites, carried pallets of brick, block, stone, etc., tows equipment trailers, plus it pushes snow in the winter. This truck has 287,000 miles on it and with the exception of oil changes, windshield wipers, tires and a set of brakes (because Honey has two speeds, "Fast and Stop") this has been the best work truck he's ever owned. And he's had his share of work trucks from Chevys, GMs, and Fords. He started with the, "I'll trade it when it gets 100,000 miles, then 150,000 then 175,000" - - now he's just curious to see how many miles he can get on it. Like you said, the best 4x4 he's EVER owned and honestly, it still rides great - still tight and solid with no rattles or squeaks. Just a great truck. Needless to say, you've got a little catching up to do!
    He's on his RT She's on her F3

And the Keys to a Happy Marriage: Separate
    Bathrooms, Individual Remote TV Clickers, and
    His and Her Spyders.

"If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die,
    I want to go where they went." ~ ~ Will Rogers

"Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few."
    ~ ~ Winston Churchill in his tribute to the RAF.

"I'd like to know why well-educated idiots keep apologizing for lazy and complaining
    people who think the world owes them a living." ~ ~ John Wayne

GOS 3799