Spyder Garage

Default STL or ST-S wet weight?

I've tried a number of different searches to no avail. Has anyone actually weighed their ST-S or STL? I've found dry weights listed from roughly 850 -1020# It's important since I want to transport my ST-S (with bags) + an Aprilia Caponord Rally. The Rally's wet weight is 612#. I need to be sure I get a trailer that can handle the load with a bit of extra margin.
    TIA John

WET WIGHT 937#
    Last edited by nwrider; 03-06-2018 at 09:25 AM. Reason: Weighed

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The weight of a gallon of gas is 6.2lbs, water (coolant) is around 8.4lbs, oil about 6.8lbs/gal. The other fluids are insignificant. So full of gas and fluids, add approximately 40lbs for 6.6 gallons of gas, couple for coolant and oil, and then a safety factor - say 50lbs. extra. Then don't forget any payload such as aftermarket accessories and gear.

When we were toy-hauler shopping we had to run the same calculations. Our GS (dry 700lbs) plus two sportbikes, I added 20% for margin. Ended up around 1900lbs.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Spyder Garage

Yes, I understand all of the add on weights but when the given dry weight varies by about 160# there's no way to be sure what the true dry weight is and, manufacturers are notoriously dishonest in their published figures. My riders manual has a misprint for the dry weight which is given as 392mm!!!!

Even subtracting the maximum load of 459# from the GVWR of 1373# = 914# doesn't make me confident that it's accurate and isn't close to other published dry weights.

Spyder Garage

I've heard of people weighing their Spyders at semi weigh stations. Some truck stops have them too.
    Joy
    Very Happy Ryder...
    '09 Phantom and a '15 F3-S

If you don't slow down, they can't catch you..
    ​If you don't give up, they can't win.
    What a long strange journey its been.

Spyder Garage

yazz,
    That's probably what I'll have to do -- I was hoping someone had already done that. If I do have it weighed, I'll post it here.

Spyder Garage

Over here in Aus, most Landscaping Supplies or Garden Centres, Fire-Wood lots, or just about any other place that sells bulk material by weight generally has their own weigh bridge.... as well as all the heavy vehicle & local council weigh stations that are around the place! So we just duck down to the nearest Garden Centre etc & ask if they'll weigh our Spyder - & I don't know of anyone being knocked back yet, with the only time I know of when anyone was asked to pay being when an official weight certificate was required... even then, the cost was only about $5! Knowing what your Spyder weighs in ryding trim can come in really handy for all sorts of things, including helping you to set your tire pressures correctly!

Got any Garden or Landscaping Supply Centres nearby?!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-25-2018 at 01:15 AM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Well I used the airplane weighing technique of using a bathroom scale with 2x10 boards under the tires and just rolled each wheel on to the scale. It's probably as accurate as it would be going to a commercial scale where the accuracy might be questionable for lighter weights. Anyway, with a few items in the frunk that might weigh a total of 10# roughly offset by about a gallon burned off of a full tank of fuel + saddlebags & mounts, spyderpops bump/skid and BajaRon swaybar it came in at 937#. 342# on the rear tire, 310 on the R front and 285 on the L front. With a GVWR of 1373# - 937# = 436# for rider + passenger + gear.

To have a bit of margin on a trailer, I'm going to need a payload capacity of about 1700#. Most of the single axle trailers I've looked at have a GVWR of 2990# with empty weights around 1100 - 1200# very close to my limit.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I remember reading somewhere that the weight is around 1300 lbs. if a Honda Goldwing can weight 1000lbs then the extra wheel makes it heavier. Find a truck scale or a garden place that sells gravel and see if they’ll weight it for you.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

See my previous post. I weighed mine at 937# wet.