Spyder Garage

Default Strong smell of something hot

Have noticed a strong smell of what seems to be something getting too hot.
    Right side of my Spyder.
    After riding for 30-45 min. when I stop I notice the smell coming from the right side under the cover over the master cylinder. Very strong when the top panel is removed.
    It smells like when rubber or wire insulation gets overheated.
    Took the side panel off yesterday and the lingering smell is there and the bike is cold. Looked at everything I could see with a flashlight to help look-nothing obvious. Coolant at proper level, radiators aren't clogged with bugs. The smell is from above that anyway, seems to be up near where all the wires and connectors are.
    I usually stop after the mentioned 30-45 min. of riding to stretch or have a water. Then continue on for 3 or 4 cycles of the same.
    My concern is that if I did not stop and rode continuously for an hour or more, is something going to melt or?
    Just curious if anyone has had a similar experience or what I might look at and check while I have the right side opened up?
    Am headed out for a day trip (car) with my wife in an hour or so but will be checking in later this afternoon.

2017 F3, SM6-basic black, plain and simple

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

This is not uncommon for new vehicles. Most often caused by the exhaust system and Cat converter.

BUT.....given the severity of what you are noticing, I encourage you to have a dealer's shop take a quick look at it.
    And that does NOT mean just dismissing your report without actually looking at it. Use your warranty.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    This is not uncommon for new vehicles. Most often caused by the exhaust system and Cat converter.

BUT.....given the severity of what you are noticing, I encourage you to have a dealer's shop take a quick look at it.
    And that does NOT mean just dismissing your report without actually looking at it. Use your warranty.
    good advice
    just over 4000 mi. now and the smell started a couple hundred ago
    was trying to avoid the wasted day process to get to the dealer
    guess I'll bite the bullet and do that.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Joel The Biker View Post
    If it was wiring, it would have blown a fuse if it got that hot.
    If wiring was touching exhaust, you would be able to see it by following the exhaust route(easy on F3).
    I have heard of a plastic belt guard coming loose, but it will smoke and be obvious.
    My spyder is a 2014 with 20k miles and still smells like burning rubber/plastic after every ride.

The smell comes from tire rubber and road debris being thrown onto the hot exhaust under the bike. A bypass pipe solves the issue if you can handle the extra noise.
    thanks
    I will take a look at the exhaust for debris stuck to it.
    The smell seems much higher up though and not on the belt guard side.
    will be riding tomorrow and will sniffing the whole time, like a puppy at the dog park

Spyder Garage

The rear tire throws crap onto the primary muffler (which houses the catalytic converter). Mine was fine to start with but as more crap gets on there the more you get these types of smells. And depending on just exactly what gets on there it can be quite annoying.... I really would like an inner fender or "hugger" which would solve this problem as well as look awesome! But the only reference I could find to one seems to be no longer made. Man I can hardly wait for the RLS bypass to be ready!
    Last edited by hypurone; 02-24-2018 at 09:12 AM.

'15 F3-S Pure Magnesium Metallic - Mad Max Edition
    '15 Mclaren 650S Coupe - Aurora Blue

"You Were Really Flyin', When I Passed You Back There!"

Chuck
    2015 F3-S , Pure Magnesium Metallic/Steel Black Metallic

Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ofdave View Post
    Have noticed a strong smell of what seems to be something getting too hot.
    Right side of my Spyder.
    After riding for 30-45 min. when I stop I notice the smell coming from the right side under the cover over the master cylinder. Very strong when the top panel is removed.
    It smells like when rubber or wire insulation gets overheated.
    Took the side panel off yesterday and the lingering smell is there and the bike is cold. Looked at everything I could see with a flashlight to help look-nothing obvious. Coolant at proper level, radiators aren't clogged with bugs. The smell is from above that anyway, seems to be up near where all the wires and connectors are.
    I usually stop after the mentioned 30-45 min. of riding to stretch or have a water. Then continue on for 3 or 4 cycles of the same.
    My concern is that if I did not stop and rode continuously for an hour or more, is something going to melt or?
    Just curious if anyone has had a similar experience or what I might look at and check while I have the right side opened up?
    Am headed out for a day trip (car) with my wife in an hour or so but will be checking in later this afternoon.
    maybe it's your wife with her new perfume

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN View Post
    maybe it's your wife with her new perfume
    nope

Spyder Garage

I had a strong smell like that and found that it was the paper tags (label stickers) they put on the exhaust system burning off.
    Last edited by AY4B; 02-24-2018 at 12:15 PM.
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

I had the smell too until I removed the cat, could be a coincidence but who knows.
    2015 F3S-T , Black Black & Black

Spyder Garage

Any chance you have had a recent oil change? That is where the fill tube will overflow if its a bit overfilled. Seen this many times.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If it was wiring, it would have blown a fuse if it got that hot.
    You are making assumptions that likely are NOT true.
    Some electrical faults can get VERY hot without blowing a fuse.

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Belt

JUST a thought, Does your belt have any issues? Added any New items to the Byke? Byke been in storage?
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It is absolutely true. NO WAY ANY WIRING IS GOING TO GET THAT HOT WITHOUT BLOWING A FUSE!

Dont make comments about stuff you know nothing about.
    Right back at ya, Dude.

I've been an Engineering Electronics Technician for about 50 years now.

"Things" can draw way over their normal current but less than the fuse value and build up a LOT of heat over time.

I'm seeing through your ration of BS.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Little Blue View Post
    JUST a thought, Does your belt have any issues? Added any New items to the Byke? Byke been in storage?
    No belt issues and no new items added.
    The smell is strong from under the access panel on the top right.
    Was able to touch almost all the exhaust system, nothing there and with my little mirror I saw most of it also.
    Did not ride today so it'll be Wed. before I go.

Interesting comment by jcthorne -although my oil change was over 2000 mi. ago I noticed what appears to be oil in the heads of two of the bolts holding on what the radiator hose clamps to. Barely enough to feel on your finger and no evidence of any dripping down below that-wiped the whole area with a white paper towel and except for the bolt heads, got nothing. Checked the bolts for tightness and they took about 3/4 turn to get tight. Always check fasteners when I have something apart.

Spyder Garage

Default Similar Issues

I had similar issues on my 2016 F3T (3K break-in service). Problem was oil and water pump leak. Dealer took about a month to diagnose, replaced a lot of things (all under warranty) and looks like its better now. Haven't ridden much after all the "fixes" the dealer has done - so time will tell.
    2016 F3T SM6 , Silver

Spyder Garage

Default Strong smell of something hot

I just picked up my 2016 F3t from its 3,000 maintenance and complained of the same or similar type smell. They told me they drove it and checked it out and could not find anything. On the way home, about 30 minutes into the ride on the freeway, the same smell was back. Almost smells like something burning. I can't figure out where it's coming from. I'm going for a long ride this weekend, so if it continues I will take it to a different mechanic and mention some of the issues seen in this thread. Thank you.