Spyder Garage

Default Backrest Question

Hiya Gang,

so so dumb question here since BRP and my dealer can’t answer my question. So long story short. I have a stock BRP backrest and just ordered a comfort seat for my RT is there a way I can use the stock back rest by swapping the bottom mount for 70plus dollars versus another back rest at 449? I can see the mounts being different but are the top parts that different? Thanks in advance.

ARSquatch
    2015 RT , Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I've never seen the mounts sold separately, and I do believe that some of the top pieces are shaped differently due to the different contours of the seats.
    Sorry!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

The BRP website lists two separate mounting options for adjustable mounts. The seats look identical in pictures and I was just curious if there is a cheaper way to get around this.

https://can-am.brp.com/spyder/shop/a...sts-racks.html
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

I suspect you can mount your backrest on the adjustable mount for the comfort seat. Certainty well worth a try. If after ordering the bracket, you find it is not compatible with your backrest, just return it and get ready to spend the big bucks for an entire set up......
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

According to what I read in the 2017 hard copy catalog if you order PN 219400682, $79.99, from your dealer that is the adjustable driver backrest support upgrade kit for previous generations of driver backrest. This kit fits both the production and Comfort Seat.

Go to this link and you can see the instructions for how to install the upgrade kit to your new Comfort Seat when it arrives:
    http://instructions.brp.com/e-instru...&sku=219400682

In the instructions you will see that the mounting bracket that comes with the upgrade kit appears to be a bit different, at least picture-wise but I am not certain, from the backrest base that comes with the $449 adjustable driver backrest for the comfort seat. Your dealer parts guy should be able to verify this before he orders the part for you.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by arsquatch View Post
    Hiya Gang,

so so dumb question here since BRP and my dealer can’t answer my question. So long story short. I have a stock BRP backrest and just ordered a comfort seat for my RT is there a way I can use the stock back rest by swapping the bottom mount for 70plus dollars versus another back rest at 449? I can see the mounts being different but are the top parts that different? Thanks in advance.

ARSquatch
    The only difference is in the mount. The backrest itself is the same, so ordering the mount will get you what you need.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It won't...

There are essentially Three components to the backrest:
    The padded rest itself
    The support
    The base

The support is what you change, in order to be able to adjust the amount of rake that you have.
    (I did that with mine...)
    You would need to change the base; in order to make things begin to fit on the Comfort seat...
    And I still think that you'd end up with some fitment issues with the vinyl covers....
    (To be honest: I'm not 100% sure of the fitment issues...)

Spyder Garage

Thank you all for your suggestions. From the research I have found it’s worth a shot to see if it works or not so I ordered the mount and it will be here the same day as the seat. So I will keep you posted.
    2015 RT , Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Good luck!!
    (I just bolted my backrest to the new bike...)

IMG_0761.jpg

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Good luck!!
    (I just bolted my backrest to the new bike...)

IMG_0761.jpg
    Absolutely Gorgeous Bob!!!
    2020 Harley Davidson Tri Glide Ultra
    2017 F3-T SE6 White / BRP Backrest / Nuvi 58 LM / Polaris Spring Spacers / CALSCI 22" Shield
    2016 RTE6 , Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

Unless BRP has decided to be more generous, the mount referenced is just the new "tuning fork" to allow easier adjustments forward and backward tilt. The missing piece of the puzzle is the aluminum mounting plate bolted to the bottom of the seat, and BRP doesn't (as far as I know) sell that separately.

I bought a comfort seat for my RT a little over a year ago and decided to try to fabricate a new mounting plate. I used 1/4" plywood to make a prototype for fitment and alignment and once happy with that, used 1/4" aluminum plate for the mount. Take the locking assembly mechanism off the old mount and use it on the new plate. I spent several hours cutting and fitting the plywood prototype so it cleared everything under the seat. I also milled flat bottomed relief holes for all the bolt heads to keep them countersunk and to prevent interference with the center frame member.

H2O

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Seems like an awful lot of work: are you happy with the results?
    (Would you do it again?)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Seems like an awful lot of work: are you happy with the results?
    (Would you do it again?)
    I'm not afraid of a little work especially if it saves me from buying another backrest kit for a few hundred dollars! With the time I put into making the plywood prototype (only needed one) it fits me perfectly. I would do it again for myself in a heartbeat. There's a tremendous amount of satisfaction in doing the work to my own nitpicking standards and beating them at their own game.

H2O

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default SENSIBLE ALTERNATIVE

Quote Originally Posted by H2O View Post
    I'm not afraid of a little work especially if it saves me from buying another backrest kit for a few hundred dollars! With the time I put into making the plywood prototype (only needed one) it fits me perfectly. I would do it again for myself in a heartbeat. There's a tremendous amount of satisfaction in doing the work to my own nitpicking standards and beating them at their own game.

H2O
    ...........We DIYer's Rock .........Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

on the successful completion of a worthwhile project!

Spyder Garage

Default Yes

Quote Originally Posted by arsquatch View Post
    Hiya Gang,

ARSquatch
    In a word, yes. The BRP part number for the comfort seat is 219400682. I made this conversion on my 2014 RTL and it works great!!

Spyder Garage

Default Comfort Seat with Stock Backrest 2014 RT-S?

Quote Originally Posted by Gumbeau View Post
    In a word, yes. The BRP part number for the comfort seat is 219400682. I made this conversion on my 2014 RTL and it works great!!
    Gumbeau,
    So you put a Comfort Seat on your 2014 RTL and only had to change out the mount for the backrest ($79.95) to make your stock backrest work with the comfort seat? Please enlighten me on this since I would LOVE to be able to do this!
    Thanks,
    Lorna
    2014 RT-S SM6 , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PW2013STL View Post
    The only difference is in the mount. The backrest itself is the same, so ordering the mount will get you what you need.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Smile backrest question

Yes I did the same thing. PN: 219400682 for the comfort seat adjustable driver backrest support upgrade kit 79.99
    2015 RT Limited, Baja Ron sway bar, Fred Reese lights, high and brake, comfort heated seat., skid pan, helmet locks, truck light , k&n air filter, fox shocks on frt.