Spyder Garage

Default Stuck in 3rd gear?!

Bought my wife a 2008 GS (cosmetic fixer upper, mech fine). Git it all fixed up. She took it out for a couple miles, then I took out. She is getting used to the sport model VTwin Found a used HMF exhaust on EBay, wow it sounds awesome!

Anyhoo I rode it to work, and along the way it got stuck in 3rd gear. At a stop sign I held brake, tried the shifter paddle, tried reverse, etc., nothing. Made it to work and shut off. Came out about 1/2hr later to show it to a buddy and it shifted itself back to neutral when I started it. Didn't know it could do that! But it appears OK.

Anyone else seen this wierdness?

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

For any instance of a shifting anomaly in the SE5, especially one from out of the blue that's intermittent, the first thing to check is oil level. The proper procedure for this is in the manual. If you don't have a manual yet:

- Go ride around for a few miles to get the oil up to normal operating temperature.
    - Turn off the engine and check the level within 30 seconds of turning off the engine.
    - Add if required.

And yes, as long as you have your foot on the brake, if you shut it down while still in gear, when you start up the motor it will shift itself back to neutral. BTW - do you have any idea when the last oil and filter change was?
    Last edited by Snowbelt Spyder; 02-23-2018 at 07:37 AM.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

First step is how much oil is in it.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

After checking oil, check linkage on left side, see if it is loose.

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

This happened to me once or twice on our 2012 RTL SE5. It seemed to occur only if I did a panic stop. I shut it off and restarted the engine and it was fine. I guess the computer can't keep up on downshifts in a panic stop situation.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Hi Steve,

Re: Anyone else seen this wierdness?

Last Fall my '08, SE-5 got stuck in 2nd gear. It was a loose shifter rod. Just needed to be tightened up. Give it a try,

Jerry Baumchen
    'I'll never forget what's her name.'

'Things are more like they are now than they ever have been before.' Dwight Eisenhower

2008 GS SE-5

Spyder Garage

A slightly more serious issue would be the gear position sensor. Had to replace it on both of our 2011's. The sensor has a plastic part that simply wears out.
    2017 Can Am Commander Limited
    2012 Cadillac CTS-V Black Diamond
    2020 F3 Limited Magma Red (miss the 2011 Viper red)
    2010 RT622 - Black

Spyder Garage

Default All of the above....

I would add the paddle shifter as it has been an issue is some occasions. Mostly it is an oil or linkage problem.
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman2013 View Post
    This happened to me once or twice on our 2012 RTL SE5. It seemed to occur only if I did a panic stop. I shut it off and restarted the engine and it was fine. I guess the computer can't keep up on downshifts in a panic stop situation.
    The linkage seems tight. The paddle shifter never missed a beat when sitting and flipping from reverse to neutral to first - quick taps, hard presses, etc. The oil is a bit low by maybe 3/16" on the stick (according to manual), so I'm doing a fresh oil change. Got LucasOil for motorcycle wet clutches (exceeds BRP specs). Hope that is all it is. Should have done the oil change first thing regardless! I see a sticker on oil tank for a longer filter, so I'm hoping that means it has had some dealer service that puts a longer transmission filter in it. All the oil change kits said they include a longer filter. Kit just arrived, I'll find out soon!

Speaking of panic stops - I was hitting it hard taking off and stopping to be sure nothing weird going on and it popped an engine light that reset. Said "Check transmission". Holding the mode button and flicking the high beam 5X didn't pull the code for me (engine was running with error sliding across screen). Hopefully also related to lowish oil level.

Steve

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by jwulf74 View Post
    A slightly more serious issue would be the gear position sensor. Had to replace it on both of our 2011's. The sensor has a plastic part that simply wears out.
    What were the symptoms? Says it's in gear but it's not? Or something else?

Thanks!
    Steve