Thread: safety

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default safety

Now I can change the subject. Last Friday I needed to make a part for one of my handguns. I went out to the shop and set up my lathe. I started to do the work when suddenly I was pulled down to the ways. Luckily I was able to push myself back far enough to tear my shirt. That gave me enough of a stretch to reach the switch. Had I not been able to reach it, my wife probably would have had to tell you what happened. I didn't follow safety procedures and had a loose shirt on. It got caught on the lead screw and got wound up. Luckily it was turning slower than the chuck. Be careful around machines and pay attention it can happen very fast. My torn shirt now hangs in the shop as a reminder.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thank Goodness, that you're the one telling the story...

But don't try that crap again: we'd miss you too dang much!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Machinegunner View Post
    Now I can change the subject. Last Friday I needed to make a part for one of my handguns. I went out to the shop and set up my lathe. I started to do the work when suddenly I was pulled down to the ways. Luckily I was able to push myself back far enough to tear my shirt. That gave me enough of a stretch to reach the switch. Had I not been able to reach it, my wife probably would have had to tell you what happened. I didn't follow safety procedures and had a loose shirt on. It got caught on the lead screw and got wound up. Luckily it was turning slower than the chuck. Be careful around machines and pay attention it can happen very fast. My torn shirt now hangs in the shop as a reminder.
    I almost lost a hand to a table saw that had its safety arbor removed because it was 'getting in the way'. But then I've always been a klutz. Interesting to hear even skilled tradesmen sometimes make those kinds of mistakes.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Default Yikes...!!!

Been there and fortunately was a cheap shirt and ripped away like a strippers costume but your right it does happen in a split second glad you were able to get away from it...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

From the CPA office. Ties and paper shredders are not a good combination either. One of the staff went all the way to the knot before he was able to shut it off.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I have a cracked helmet above the door to my garage of an incident that happened 3 1/2 years ago (the reason I got a spyder). I could have sworn that my head never hit the ground. But my 30 minutes of memory loss, and the cracked helmet begs to differ.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    From the CPA office. Ties and paper shredders are not a good combination either. One of the staff went all the way to the knot before he was able to shut it off.
    I remember rescuing a summer intern from a paper shredder once.

Ron, I'm glad you got the machine shut off in time.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Years ago I worked in the state offices in Baltimore building their new Medicaid computer system. They had a brand new data center and the supervisor believed in presentation so he put a big sign on the doorway "Ties Required in the Data Center". Several of us tried telling him it was a bad idea but we were just contractors so didn't have any sway in their organization.

There used to be a machine in every data center that read and punched cards. It was called a 2540R and it could ingest hundreds of cards per minute. It had a big vertical tray at one end which is where the operator stacked the cards to be processed.

A few days before we went live I was making some last minute changes to some programs and brought a cart full of cards in to be processed. The only person there was the supervisor so he began loading them. Apparently, as he was leaning over the stacker reaching for more cards, his tie landed between the sections of cards and it was but half a second the machine grabbed his tie and choked him right down onto the stack. Fortunately I was standing nearby and hit the safety switch but not until his face was thoroughly punched and his tie shredded. He wound up with a very visible ring around his neck and a black eye.

The next day when I came into the data center there were the remnants of his tie along with a new sign taped to the computer console: "Ties and Long Sleeve Shirts Prohibited in the Data Center".

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Several years ago my ponytail touched the chuck........That was the day I cut it off. I thought I was safe then. I wasn't. Just lucky. Too soon old, too late smart.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm glad that I work in an office...
    About the worst that can happen to me in here, is that the Missus could clock me with a stapler.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Bob, it seems you have to get out more. It appears there are many of us here that can show you how easy it is to get hurt. Ron.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Ron,
    Some day about a million years from now: an archeologist will find what's left of my carcass...

He will no doubt be amazed at all of the damage that I've sustained!
    Two wrists
    a leg
    a foot... Twice!
    an elbow
    a detached retina
    and a busted rib

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Ron,
    Some day about a million years from now: an archeologist will find what's left of my carcass...

He will no doubt be amazed at all of the damage that I've sustained!
    Two wrists
    a leg
    a foot... Twice!
    an elbow
    a detached retina
    and a busted rib
    one badazz insurance office! You might screen your clients a little closer! ��
    glad you are ok, Ron!
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I had an... interesting childhood!
    (The FIRST one: I mean...)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

"No job is so important and no service is so urgent that we cannot take time to perform our work safely." -- AT&T Safety Creed

At one time the Bell System was the largest company on earth, and was self-insured. Safety was pounded into us constantly. But the most danger I ever faced was knocking my shins on an open desk drawer, or the open top drawer of a filing cabinet causing it to fall over. But that wouldn't have happened because all of them were bolted to the walls.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)