Hybrid View

Spyder Garage

Default Advice for a daddy and his girl.

Hello everybody. I am interested in advice. This is my first post here but I am not new to forums. Feel free to speak candidly in responses. I am a huge fan of thoughtful sarcasm, so don't worry about that. If a reply is simply rude I will most likely just block that poster.

My daughter Chloe is 15 and is significantly affected by Autism with an additional MR (mildly retarded) diagnosis. If you know anything or have viewed any media about Autism. She checks all the boxes. Very stereotypical non-verbal, hand flapping, limited cognition ect . . .

Chloe has only a few activities she truly enjoys. She draws a lot, swimming, kind of a foodie and going for rides. On school days we will take two to three rides a day. On weekends we go for as many as 5 or 6 in a given day.

Initially, we would take rides on an ATV that was gifted to me for that reason. She would ride in front of me so I could place my arms around her. Each ride would light up her face, absolutely having the time of her life. As she got to big I was able to find a used UTV (side by side). I gave the gifted ATV to another father in similar circumstances. Again with our Can Am Commander her face told the story ear to ear grins and Chloe's first few strung together words appeared "Go Fast!". The UTV has fallen out of favour for several reasons, Hot in the summer, get muddy clean it off after each ride got old. Also if you "Go Fast!" off road repairs are common and expensive.

I have enjoyed motorcycle riding and have much of my life. Because of Chloe's limitations, I do not feel it would be safe for several reasons. I am confident I could not rely on her to keep a vigorous hold on the handholds or my back. It is also not likely she would lean properly into corners.

I am kind of confident a Spyder may be a life changer for us. I think "armrests" may overcome her lack of vigorous holding the hand holds. And it is my understanding a passenger lean will not adversely affect riding the way it would on a two-wheeled bike.

My question is two-fold. First, are there any FLAWS in my logic or assumptions about the Spyder. Second, if there are any STRATEGIES to getting into this at the lowest cost possible it would be very much appreciated. I can't forsake my "needs" because the cost of my "Wants" And for the last 13 years I have lived a debt free life which I have no desire to get back into debt ever again.

Thank you in advance for any advice or strategies.
    Sincerely
    Chloe's daddy
    Bryan
    Last edited by BSage; 02-22-2018 at 09:06 AM.

Spyder Garage

Default This is Chloe

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BSage View Post
    I can't forsake my "needs" because the cost of my "Wants" And for the last 13 years I have lived a debt free life which I have no desire to get back into debt ever again.
    Two comments:
    You are to be commended......for several things.....including a sane and logical approach to finances BUT taking on a small amount of short term debt for a specific purpose is NOT NECESSARILY A BAD THING. I've been debt free for about 35 years.......except for small "gap" house loans and some short term car loans (3 years or less) along the way.

Your other concerns can mostly be addressed, I think, by a more sedate riding habit......with the arm rests that you mentioned.
    You need to do some test rides on Spyders.......and play like you have a dozen eggs sitting on the back seat with no attachment.
    It is possible to ride an RT with virtually no body roll......if you concentrate on that.

I suggest a newer model with the 1330 engine and an automatic transmission.

Others will chime in, no doubt.

Edit: After seeing the video, I gotta say: A Spyder will NOT replace the experience with the ATV. It might expand your horizons out onto the actual roads but you shouldn't take the Spyder off-road. In that situation, it well could throw somebody off. And since she tolerates a seat belt good, you might could get one installed on the Spyder too.

(My in-laws are visiting this week from Cresco.)
    Last edited by Easy Rider; 02-22-2018 at 09:22 AM.

Spyder Garage

You might look at a Polaris SlingShot,
    2015 RT L , Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin2488485 View Post
    I considered that. I am not seeing many really favorable reviews, and they have not been on the market long enough to find a great deal on a used one.

Spyder Garage

I agree that an RT with armrests would be just the ticket for you. When we had ours, my wife always said she felt she could fall asleep in the rear seat and not worry about falling off. You could attach a mirror to make sure she was back there, but I think you would notice if she started moving. Unless you had an accident I really doubt you would have an issue with her falling off.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-man View Post
    I agree that an RT with armrests would be just the ticket for you. When we had ours, my wife always said she felt she could fall asleep in the rear seat and not worry about falling off. You could attach a mirror to make sure she was back there, but I think you would notice if she started moving. Unless you had an accident I really doubt you would have an issue with her falling off.
    And, for budget reasons, look for a 2011 or 2012 or earlier RT; it will come with the smaller 2-cylinder engine which should be plenty adequate for your purposes.
    2014 RTL Platinum

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Daddy's Girl

I Think For the Spyder experience, Try the Arm Rests and The Seat Belt options. PS: Good Luck on what ever You Decide.
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

One thing to consider is wearing a helmet. It seems to me when I was ryding through Iowa, that your state doesn't have a mandatory helmet law, but, with your daughters tendencies to "not hold on" I would think you want her to have a helmet on. How do you think she would handle that? That can be something difficult for even non "challenged" people. With that in mind, an RT with passenger armrests would be something for Chloe. See if you can arrange a demo for the two of you, and put a helmet on her and see what happens. Then start looking on the for sale section here, and on EBay, and Craig's List, and everywhere else you can find where spyders are for sale. You will find some great deals on used machines that people with more money than sense bought and NEVER rode, low miles and still under warranty.

Good Luck to a very good Daddy!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

Default Another, slightly different, view...

Firstly, my comments echo all those by colleagues above commending you for your activities and care for your daughter in making her life more enjoyable, and for your care and concern for her safety. I, too, think a Spyder could safely be a consideration, properly used and equipped, on roads, not off. Many here have so far pointed to the RT; I'm going to suggest that the F3 is equally as good, and maybe even better when it comes to arm rests. The photo below shows my 2017 F3L with its stock passenger back rest/integrated top case with added optional stock BRP arm rests. These arm rests are longer/bigger than many others; they also open only slightly to the sides for entry and require use of a flip lever to do that - i.e., quite secure. The stock seating has been changed to an Ultimate, but the original seating, space-wise, is pretty much the same. What I am suggesting is: with the driver back rest in place, the passenger area is a pretty snug, self-contained 'nest'. It would be fairly difficult to dislodge or lose a passenger, particularly if you included use of a seat belt. A basic F3, without the topcase/backrest and arm rests would not be suitable, but equipped similarly to mine might even provide more of an 'envelope' than some of the RT's. It's going to mean some expense but, then, RT's are not cheap either, although many older and less expensive choices will likely be available. As with any other potential buyer, you really ought to visit a dealer and do some test rides before making up your mind. I'm sure you could find some local Spyder owners/dealers who could help you out in that regard. Best of luck. Be safe, and be happy, both of you.
    20180109_150740.jpg
    Last edited by bushrat; 02-22-2018 at 10:55 AM.
    [SIGPIC]
    2017 F3 Ltd. Intense Red Pearl/Metallic Black topside
    2017 F3Limited , lowered brake pedal Intense Red Pearl w. Metallic Black topside

Spyder Garage

My thoughts exactly
    !

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin2488485 View Post

Spyder Garage

I salute you, whatever you do. You have a beautiful young daughter and she has a great dad. Best wishes......
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Bryan, this is a great idea for your daughter. would definitely recommend an RT with passenger armrests If you plan to ride a lot get the 1330 engine,or else get a good deal on an older model.

Judging by your video she was holding on pretty darn well to that Commander, so ease her into the spyder. It's not that much different when it comes to cornering forces

Good Luck!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by garageguy View Post
    Judging by your video she was holding on pretty darn well to that Commander,
    I had to constantly remind her to hold on. And on a two-up bike I would not be able to see her to know she was holding on. I am pretty confident she would enjoy the spyder possibly more than the commander. Unless I hauled it (which did a few times) you are basically riding the same trail over and over.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Though I've never been interested in them, I also think a Polaris Slingshot may be more useful for you. It has sides on it and seat belts. It's street legal and you'd sit side-by-side.

If you look for a Spyder, I'd also recommend an RT model, though, for your purposes, I think an older, gently used 990cc (pre-2014) would do and it may better fit your budget. The problem is that the seating is tandem with Chloe behind you. Though it doesn't lean, there are centrifugal forces on the riders in curves, so you'd have to take them gently. That may not help in the "go fast" scenario.

In either case (Slingshot or Spyder) Chloe should be wearing a helmet. Will she tolerate that?

Thanks for sharing your and Chloe's story with us. Let us know what you end up doing. I'd be interested to know.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)