Spyder Garage

Default ECU removal - where's the tabs to release the 2 wiring connectors?

Hello, I'm trying to remove my ecu and I can't seem to locate the tab to unlock. Where exactly is the tab to push to unlock. I've attatched pics. Also is a pic or a brass knob by the ecu. What is that?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2014 RT Limited Matte Silver, Belt Guard, RT Dash Mount, Show Chrome Can-Am Spyder RT Passenger Arm Rest, Show Chrome Full Size Brake Pedal,Best shop manual, Spyder keycover with hole, Utopia drivers backrest, Showchrome trailor hitch, ShowChrome Acc Trailer Acc Rack, 2014 CA Spyder RT-RTS Master Collection-HDSv5, Airhawk Cushion, Spyderpops bumpskid, Ipod cable, Led lights, Driver Hiway pegs, Shorty Antenna, Pin Striping, ECU flash, TriAx adjustible handlebars,
    Will it ever stop--NO

Spyder Garage

The brass knob is the headlight aiming adjust for that side headlight - you'll have a matching one on the other side for the other headlight!

As for the tab to press in, you can't actually see the tab in your pic cos you are looking at the side of the clip, not the face. So, look at the bottom right of the clip in the pic you showed.... you can see a placcy bar heading 'into the pic' & across to the other side of the ECU... the tab is what stops the middle of that bar from moving up & around as you swing it to follow the arc of the quadrant on the top of that whole placcy clip thing, so you hafta push it IN before you try to move the bar. Make sense??

If you could get your eye down alongside the bottom screw shown in your pic, and look to the left of the pic or directly at the clip we can currently see the side of, then you would see the tab quite clearly in the middle of the placcy bar mentioned earlier.... Help any?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-22-2018 at 01:02 AM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Default web site

Go to Monster Fuel Injection WEB SITE, they have photos showing the removal of the ECU
    2017 F3-S , circuit yellow

Spyder Garage

Remove the 3 screws holding it to the Spyder and the use a small flathead screwdriver to depress the tab and swivel the lock

Lock Tab Pic.jpg
    Last edited by Purple Guy; 02-22-2018 at 12:57 PM.
    2014 RT-Ltd , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Thanks everyone. I finally found it. It's next to impossible to see, esp in a poorly lit garage. I didn't realize that the clips are double, front and back and move together. I was looking for something to just release the front side. Thanks again. Mike
    2014 RT Limited Matte Silver, Belt Guard, RT Dash Mount, Show Chrome Can-Am Spyder RT Passenger Arm Rest, Show Chrome Full Size Brake Pedal,Best shop manual, Spyder keycover with hole, Utopia drivers backrest, Showchrome trailor hitch, ShowChrome Acc Trailer Acc Rack, 2014 CA Spyder RT-RTS Master Collection-HDSv5, Airhawk Cushion, Spyderpops bumpskid, Ipod cable, Led lights, Driver Hiway pegs, Shorty Antenna, Pin Striping, ECU flash, TriAx adjustible handlebars,
    Will it ever stop--NO

Spyder Garage

Default Ecu removal?

I would like to have the reflash done on my 2015 RT SE, however when I remove the three screws, then I can not figure out the release buttons, latches etc to get it to release, I have seen the pictures of the removal but they are out of focus and do not show the exact spot to touch just a general "push here"...so is there anyone that can post a picture of the exact point of contact to remove the ECU? many thanks if you could make this happen for this old man.

Spyder Garage

Don't have a pic atm, but IIRC, there is at least one on the Forum somewhere, if you search....

However, the release levers for the wiring plugs are a cam-lock type arrangement, only in the centre of the cross bar on each, there is a tiny little button you hafta release by pushing first, before lifting & swinging the lever arms.

Hope that helps some.

Good Luck!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Is that cam-lock available individually? Broke one to pieces installing my Power Commander V.
    2015 RTS SE6 Special Series Red/Black w/Magnesium front fenders(bought in Nov. 2018 w/9,400 miles)
    Dynojet Power Commander V, Power Commander POD-300 Display, PCV Map Switch, Pedal Commander (WOW)
    Passenger Arm Rests, Windshield Air Wing
    Baja Ron's Sway Bar & Spring Adjusters
    Air Scoops, LaMonster's Hiway Pegs
    Magnetic Mirror Mounts, Air Innovations Seat Cushion
    Red Chrome pin striping on Black hood
    Federal Formoza AZ01 front tires (they're GREAT)
    Kumho Ecsta AST KU25 All-Season Tire - 225/50R15 91H
    LED bars above radiator inlets
    LED brake/running/turn signals on license plate frame
    Tag-Along trailer
    LED headlights LED fog lights (WOW)
    2" x 2" Road Lights inside front fenders
    7' x 10' Cargo trailer
    Garmin 396 LM GPS
    RLS Cat-delete resonator with China Akropovic muffler
    New Banshee AGM
    M3 TPMS on front tires
    Remote Control for Heated Jacket and Heated Riding Pants
    Analog Clock and Analog Volt Meter
    Loose Nut Behind Handlebars
    2015 RT-S Special Series , Stock Spark Plugs Brake Pedal Extension Cherry Red/Black

Spyder Garage

This was posted previously under ECU removal. Sorry, I can’t credit who made it, but it is excellent .....

https://bc5ea35f-0a76-4e03-8a52-544a...9d11136ca1.pdf

Pere
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    This was posted previously under ECU removal. Sorry, I can’t credit who made it, but it is excellent .....

https://bc5ea35f-0a76-4e03-8a52-544a...9d11136ca1.pdf

Pere
    This pdf is from Wick-It for the Monster Flash ecu removal instructions. It is, as the O.P. posted, pretty useless.

I can't find the release button either, as the pdf pictures only generally point to the area it's supposed to be. One picture shows the release button from the underside of the ECU but it's not in the same place the other pics show it to be.

Pretty frustrating. Can't get light or tools into such a tight spot to see what I'm doing.
    Last edited by UtahPete; 07-18-2022 at 05:36 PM.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    Go to Monster Fuel Injection WEB SITE, they have photos showing the removal of the ECU
    Useless.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default 2014 Spyder RTL ECU removal

The release tab is the one in the center of picture #4, positioned where the clumsily drawn arrow points to in #3
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by UtahPete; 07-18-2022 at 05:32 PM.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

https://vdocuments.net/spyder-ecu-in...ed.html?page=3

Look at this picture...See the MCD??? Its right inline with the D

larryd

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

https://www.monsterfuelinjection.com...9d11136ca1.pdf

Think its the same one posted above

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by larryd View Post
    https://vdocuments.net/spyder-ecu-in...ed.html?page=3

Look at this picture...See the MCD??? Its right inline with the D

larryd
    Thanks. I found it. I just had to use the right cuss words.
    Last edited by UtahPete; 07-18-2022 at 05:59 PM.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    Thanks. I found it.
    Ah ha! You got it. Took me a frustrating few minutes to get mine released.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Are you going 1 or 2?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    Are you going 1 or 2?
    Stage 2.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Stage 2.
    I expect a standard Navy Nuke analysis and report once you get it back and try it out.
    Last edited by Snowbelt Spyder; 07-18-2022 at 06:16 PM.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Snowbelt Spyder View Post
    I expect a standard Navy Nuke analysis and report once you get it back and try it out.
    I expect this to blow the rods out of the core and go critical.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Prompt critical would be worth it for the money.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

This pdf is from Wick-It for the Monster Flash ecu removal instructions. It is, as the O.P. posted, pretty useless.

I can't find the release button either, as the pdf pictures only generally point to the area it's supposed to be. One picture shows the release button from the underside of the ECU but it's not in the same place the other pics show it to be.

Pretty frustrating. Can't get light or tools into such a tight spot to see what I'm doing.
    Now that you've actually found those release tabs, can you see how the pointer in those broader view pics couldn't possibly focus in on anything that small; and the close up pic really was pointing EXACTLY to the tab you needed to press??? Couldn't really have been any clearer, could it!!

It's just that the tab on the crossbar bit of the release is so small that it's very difficult for anyone trying to describe it/identify it in a meaningful way for someone who doesn't already know where it is &/or what they're looking for.... But generally, once you realise that you HAVE BEEN looking right at the bloody thing & bitching about the pics not showing it when they really DO point at it & show it, then it all becomes clear....

Just like searching for anything, it's ALWAYS gonna be in the last place you look - in this instance, the pics weren't really useless - after all, they were pointing right at it but you just couldn't SEE it, cos you weren't thinking it would be something like that; or maybe it's smaller than you thought; or maybe it was just that you had the wrong glasses/poor light/the cat diverted your focus for a split instant.... . But just like you couldn't see it for looking right at it; this really should make one a little more wary on the roads & maybe a tad more understanding about those cage drivers who can look right at you, maybe even make eye contact, but still not SEE you!! Shouldn't it - cos we ALL do it sometimes/for some things!?! Some call it situational blindness??!

Glad you found those tabs & got your ECU out; aren't you SOOO happy that yours was in an easily accessible place & not hidden away, jammed into a tiny slot between the LH front side of the placcy air intake trunking & the frame cross-member - a slot that was barely wide enough to fit the ECU into, let alone being anywhere near wide enough for you to actually unscrew & remove the 3 securing bolts so you could slide the ECU out of it's hidey hole?!? I almost hadta dismantle my 2013 RT into its component pieces to get its ECU out!! .

Now you've just got a short (but oh, so long ) wait for your ECU to be split, upgraded, and returned/re-installed before you can finally feel for yourself why those of us who have done it already always claim that it finally makes our Spyders perform the way they SHOULD perform straight off the Showroom floor!

Hope the wait isn't too long!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-18-2022 at 06:38 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for the encouragement Peter. I hope my pictures will help the next person figure it out a little easier.

As for the bitching, well .... I'm not the strong, silent type I guess. I was told in the Navy that if I couldn't get something to work it's because I wasn't using the right words....or a big enough hammer....
    Last edited by UtahPete; 07-18-2022 at 06:56 PM.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I up graded from the stage 1 to the stage 2 this year...WHAT A DIFFERENCE...Should have done the stage 2 originally...DON'T FORGET TO SEND THE AIR CLEANER LID...LARRYD

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the encouragement Peter. I hope my pictures will help the next person figure it out a little easier.

As for the bitching, well .... I'm not the strong, silent type I guess. I was told in the Navy that if I couldn't get something to work it's because I wasn't using the right words....or a big enough hammer....
    We all do it, so I wasn't aiming that comment just at you!

And I learnt much the same thing as you about carefully choosing the 'right words' & to 'get a bigger hammer' when trying to make difficult stuff work - firstly on the farm; then on the workshop & foundry floor; even in university & labs; and yet again when it was reinforced in the Navy here in Oz - so it's gotta have a deeper source than just being a 'Navy' thing? . Maybe IT's the Meaning of Life, the Universe, and All that Stuff, and not 42 after all??
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-18-2022 at 08:19 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!