Thread: MY TAKE ON IT

Spyder Garage

Default MY TAKE ON IT

I have, as many others have, posted my Spyder for sale on the For sale and want to buy page on this forum. May be just my impression, but I have not seen any sales of Spyders on that page, and some have been there for a long time. What I have seen is a lot of really good feedback on how they are priced for sale, and what is a realistic price for what we have to sell. Many thanks to all that have chimed in.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by oldguyinCT View Post
    I have, as many others have, posted my Spyder for sale on the For sale and want to buy page on this forum. May be just my impression, but I have not seen any sales of Spyders on that page, and some have been there for a long time. What I have seen is a lot of really good feedback on how they are priced for sale, and what is a realistic price for what we have to sell. Many thanks to all that have chimed in.

I was thinking the same thing today. Thinking what a waste of time it is.

Now used parts etc are a different matter. They seem to always (or very nearly always) get sold.
    2008 GS SM5, Full Moon Silver
    2007 Piaggio MP3 - 250cc

Spyder Garage

I think the concentration of Spyder buyers isn't strong enough. If I was to try to sell, I would list locally on Craigslist and other forums that cover your immediate area. To me it's unrealistic to expect someone to travel much more than a couple hundred miles to buy a bike. There are enough Spyders out there nowadays that allows us to shop more "locally". Yeah, there are hundreds of members here on S/L, but to expect a member from within a reasonable driving distance to see your ad, and then follow through...to me is unrealistic. Advertise locally. Accessories do pretty well on here I think, but not the bikes. It does give a decent venue for feedback though, as mentioned
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

blame old man winter for most of you. those of us in FL are digging these warm temps. in a few weeks everyone will want to be out riding and I am betting your activity will pick up then.
    2015 RT Limited Intense Red Pearl

Spyder Garage

Good information all. I was thinking the same thing. Been trying to sell one since 2015. Dealer is going to get it and sell on consignment come March.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default As I see it.....

There are few shoppers coming here as one assumes to be here you have to have one. We have many that and leave the site you will see us telling them to stay on. For lurker the site should have some promotion or banner stating spyders for sale maybe a picture of some to attract them to that forum...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

I sold mine on CycleTrader. It took a long time to find a buyer but we were both happy with the deal. I priced it based on the feedback I got from here and in CycleTrader.
    The only responses I got from Craigslist were from scammers, so be careful out there.
    Myron Wooley

USMC 1975 - 1979

2nd Spyder: Pearl White 2016 Spyder RT Limited, purchased December 18, 2016 with 1 mile
    First Spyder: Pearl White 2012 Spyder RT Limited, gone to a good home

Spyder Garage

I bought my RTS from an ad on Spyderlovers. But, it was July and it was also in the same metro area where i live.

Very Active Member Buckeye Bleau's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Scotts8826 View Post
    I bought my RTS from an ad on Spyderlovers. But, it was July and it was also in the same metro area where i live.
    There are Metro areas in Kansas? Nah, just kidding, but I could not help myself.

Joe
    U.S. Army Viet Nam Era Vet
    2013 Spyder RT-L, Black Currant
    Trunk mount dual SS flag holder
    TricLed foam hand grips (awesome)
    Chromed Soaring Eagle License Holder
    Utopia Deluxe driver backrest
    LED fender lighting
    Fast Flash LED brake light
    Spyder Pops LED/skid plate

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Stumpy6Guns View Post
    I sold mine on CycleTrader. It took a long time to find a buyer but we were both happy with the deal. I priced it based on the feedback I got from here and in CycleTrader.
    The only responses I got from Craigslist were from scammers, so be careful out there.
    I also sold mine on Cycletrader it took 5 days to sell I put the ad in on Wednesday Thursday got a call from a guy in Alabama Sunday we met halfway between my home in Georgia and his in Alabama did the deal counted the cash, got my 2017 RTL delivered on Tuesday.
    Also tried Craigslist and just got scammers calling me.

2017 RT Limited
    2017 RT Limited , White

Spyder Garage

Don't give up...definitely frustrating...bad time of year around here, on top of that spyders are coming more available unless you have specific model you want, also sypders are a small segment of the riding population. Another month and people will be looking more to buy

Spyder Garage

Yep, kinda like selling a snowmobile in May.... I can't imagine many in CT looking for a bike quite yet. But they will be soon. I found my used spyder through dealers posting on Craigslist, after joining and checking SL. I did look at two personal spyders for sale, but both wanted spring time prices in the fall. (Up north there is quite a spread).
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I really think you would come out ahead by selling your trailer separately from your Spyder. You will likely be selling to a first time Spyder owner who would have no idea if they needed a trailer. There are always people looking for the RT-622 on this forum and people are getting top $$ for them.

I am not looking to purchase your trailer, my 10 trailer is still doing the job for me.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Facebook marketplace is a good place to list and find vehicles.
    Roadkrome luggage rack
    Shad SH45 hard case
    Bajaron anti-sway bar and Heim links
    Mirror extensions
    Spyderpops air dam foam kit
    Rivco handlebar risers (purchased and on my mods to do list)

"A damn good feeling to run these roads" - Tyler Childers
    "I close my eyes, it was all so clear, it was all right then, it was all right there" - Tyler Childers
    "Woke up today and decided to kill my ego, it ain't ever done me no good no how" - Sturgill Simpson
    www.squanchkava.com

Spyder Garage

Timing is everything as has been said.
    I see a tendency for sales prices to be above the market when posted here. Asking 2-3000 dollars less than new for a three year old bike is just wishful thinking and I don't care what you've added.
    A list of the cost of all the extras you had to have and spent big money getting and installing does not mean they add to the value in an equal amount. Accessories bring two things-a lighter wallet and a return of maybe 15-20% of the cost when the bike/trike is sold, if they are universally sought after add-ons. Cosmetic additions add nothing to value/price. Not all share your taste.
    People often say xx dollars "invested". That is far from the truth. You want to invest in a toy, buy a Henderson or original Barbie. They might go up or hold their value- a Spyder will not. It is foolishness to call it an "investment".
    Doing some research will help find value-Kelly and NADA really don't, but they will give you an idea.
    Price at or just above what you will accept. A selling price is very different from an asking price. I'll take a fair selling price and money in my hand over a high asking price any day.

2017 F3, SM6-basic black, plain and simple

Spyder Garage

Default I shop here

I am looking for a 2014 RTS and have talked to a couple of sellers on SL. Actually I am hoping to close the deal on one this weekend.

In addition to shopping here I have also looked on CL, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, and CycleTrader. My first choice is to buy local or within a couple of hours driving distance and 2nd choice is buy from wherever. I purchased my current F3L on Ebay from Tampa FL and had it delivered by U-Ship.

I don't want anything older than 2014 and the price has to be in my range. Farkles are OK but they don't have a value to me when buying used.
    Love my Spyders
    2016 F3L Steel Black purchased 7/16/2016 Sold 3/11/2023 (22,500 mi)

2014 RTS Circuit Yellow purchased 3/2/2018

2020 RTL Petrol Blue purchased 1/27/2023

Girls on Spyders #3195

No more 2 wheels
    2020 RTL , Lamonster floor board riser Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Hi oldguyinCT,

Re: MY TAKE ON IT

I know that my buying experience was somewhat unique.

The seller was located in Southern California. He sent emails to SRA chapters on the west coast; maybe some inland, don't know for absolute.

The local SRA chapter president knew what I was looking for & sent the info on the Spyder on to me.

I had a number of emails & phone calls with the seller.

Fortunately, I had a trip to SoCal already planned, so it was easy for me to stop by and 'try her out.'

The Spyder met all of my pre-determined conditions, so I bought it.

Send some emails out ( with photos, specs, etc ) to all of the SRA chapters near you. It might just work.

Jerry Baumchen
    'I'll never forget what's her name.'

'Things are more like they are now than they ever have been before.' Dwight Eisenhower

2008 GS SE-5