Thread: Stones

Spyder Garage

Exclamation Stones

Took Spyder in to have new rear tire installed. Found stone damage to drive belt and pulley. $300+ for belt and $300+ for pulley plus labor. Need to do something to prevent this again. Unfortunately I live in the NC mountains and it is 6/10 of a mile off the hard road on gravel. I try to go as slow as possible, but I guess I screwed up at least once. Any good thoughts out there?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rpopdan View Post
    Took Spyder in to have new rear tire installed. Found stone damage to drive belt and pulley. $300+ for belt and $300+ for pulley plus labor. Need to do something to prevent this again. Unfortunately I live in the NC mountains and it is 6/10 of a mile off the hard road on gravel. I try to go as slow as possible, but I guess I screwed up at least once. Any good thoughts out there?
    There was a thread about this just a week or so ago. Belt guard, slow down, avoid 'sealed' gravel roads. That's about it.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I've known dozens of Harley riders who have belt-driven bikes and I have never heard of any of them losing a belt due to stones. Is there something different about the Spyder (fat rear tire, layout of belt guard, etc.) that causes this much more common problem?

Spyder Garage

I have replaced two belts on Spyders due to stones. Never replaced a belt on any of my belt driven two wheelers.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default $304

yup, i feel your pain....
    i lost one on my RS a few yrs ago....
    $304 for a belt is outrageous, but there isn't much we can do about it....
    Dan P
    SPYD3R

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RinconRyder View Post
    I've known dozens of Harley riders who have belt-driven bikes and I have never heard of any of them losing a belt due to stones. Is there something different about the Spyder (fat rear tire, layout of belt guard, etc.) that causes this much more common problem?

Yes. The HD belts are far better protected. The Spyder belts have virtually no protection from debris kicked up by the rear tire. The plastic "guard" you see from the side is mostly cosmetic and there is nothing protecting the underside and inside of the belt. IMO, a VERY poor design.

The Spyderpops missing belt guard is the best aftermarket solution yet. Not perfect, but the best that's readily available.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Belt

YES, that is a BRP issue. Hello, Father BRP can you COME up with a GOOD FIX.
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

I had to replace mine after being in the position to ride fresh chip seal. I got four holes and believe me if the chips are over 1/4 inch you will feel them when they pop thru the belt. None were at belt edge and I finishe the trip and replaced when home. As a word of caution, I had several stones in the bottom cup the airbag rests in and if not removed would have put holes in it eventually. Be sure at any service to have that area checked,
    2015 an Am Spyder RT Limited
    2013 Yamaha WR250R - Sold
    2011 Can Am Spyder RT-S SE5 Limited - Sold
    2011 Aspen Sentry Trailer
    2003 BMW K1200LT - Sold
    2007 Unigo Trailer - Sold
    2001 BMW K1200LT - Sold
    2001 Honda 750 NightHawk - sold
    2015 RT Ltd , Canamspyderaccessories Brake pedal ext. Red

Spyder Garage

Default Tire front tires

Feeding into the belt area means twice as many chances of belt "eating" gravel vs. a regular bike. May be one reason - IMO.

Spyder Garage

Anyone want to buy a slightly used belt? Only 6K miles on it. Driven on highways only, except for one 8 mile gravel stretch. Belt has only one rock hole. Shipping included.....
    Last edited by canamjhb; 02-23-2018 at 08:49 PM.
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi