Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bcer960 View Post
    The shock stiffeners for Doc Humphrey's took the roll out.

Ray
    I just replaced the complete sway-bar w/ the hardened links because from reading this site it seemed that was going to be the "cure" I was looking for. Mac

Spyder Garage

The sway bar will help with semi wind buffeting. It just stiffens up the bike.

Ray
    TOTALY with above statement. I noticed the machine d/n "rock" as much. Mac

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Mac View Post
    I just replaced the complete sway-bar w/ the hardened links because from reading this site it seemed that was going to be the "cure" I was looking for. Mac
    Have you taken it out yet for a ride? You will notice a difference. In my case, I just found that it took both the sway bar and the shock stiffeners to get it so there was no more roll in the curves. But again, this is in a 2-up situation.

2017 RT-S

Bump Skid - Spyderpops
    Wrap - Wrapmyspyder
    swaybar - Bajaron
    Sena 20D & SM10
    3 PC Mesh Zippered Lid Net Set - TricLED
    A arm LED's - Safety LED's - TricLED
    Mirror Sequential turn signals
    Glo-riders
    LED rear turn signals and reverse lights
    Front Grills
    Third Brake light
    Larson Scanner
    Light Up - Sue Hopper

Spyder Garage

I would figure that since you ride an F3, if you are suffering "buffeting" as you describe, Either you need to ride it more and become more accustomed to it or you do have a "mechanical" issue. Looking at the F3 with it's lower C.G. and stretched-out rider position, I would think it would be more stabile than a lot of us that ride the RT style of , because we sit up higher in the saddle and wind would have more of an adverse effect on our machines than your style of Spyder. Don't know, just say'n . Again, Good Luck! Mac

Spyder Garage

Have you taken it out yet for a ride? You will notice a difference. In my case, I just found that it took both the sway bar and the shock stiffeners to get it so there was no more roll in the curves. But again, this is in a 2-up situation.
    Yes, I have 17K with the new sway-bar(I installed it the first year I owned it) and am quite satisfied with the outcome. As we have been discussing in this thread, Spyder's are "quirky" machines, you either like them or you don't. I have owned enough quirky recreational vehicles that I know you either adapt or get something else. I had a Kaw ZX11 back in the day, and I could only ride it 60 miles and then I had to get off of it for about 30 min. before I could get back on again, fast as heck, handled fantastic, but a touring bike it was NOT!! So I got rid of it. Mac

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Well.......was it what you hoped for ?
    And what DID you hope for ??

Spyder Garage

Default ???

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    The results please...

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffmal View Post
    The results please...
    Scroll up^^^^^^^^^
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

YES it was! I don't think it's absolutely the best "motorcycle" I have ever ridden, but for what it is, it does what I need it to do and I can accept that. I have not been in any "panic" situations but it's handled any "close calls" just fine and I have not had to go to the E.R. to have them pull any seat material out of anyplace it shouldn't be!Mac

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

YES it was!

Generalities don't help.

What WAS your main complaint to start with........and how is it better now ??

Are there any of the "unique" ride characteristics that it did NOT help ??

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Ryde SAFE

There is a learning process for the Spyder. Maybe like learning to play 'Golf or Tennis'. Some things come easy. Some things take more time. Try it and just do it at a comfortable pace for YOU. I have learned to enjoy my RYDE and YES it was a learning Process. For me, I ryde at my own pace. PS: GOOD LUCK in what ever YOU Decide.
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Little Blue View Post
    There is a learning process for the Spyder. Maybe like learning to play 'Golf or Tennis'. Some things come easy. Some things take more time. Try it and just do it at a comfortable pace for YOU. I have learned to enjoy my RYDE and YES it was a learning Process. For me, I ryde at my own pace. PS: GOOD LUCK in what ever YOU Decide.
    I personally would love to see the problem you encountered and what you added to alleviate or eliminate issue and how it worked out.....
    thanks for all the good feedback! I feel like Dr. Phil!!

Spyder Garage

well...it starts off with 3 eggs and some bread crumbs....oh wait wrong forum...hahha

Spyder Garage

Generalities don't help.

What WAS your main complaint to start with........and how is it better now ??

Are there any of the "unique" ride characteristics that it did NOT help ??
    Read post #28. I think I had said what the issue I was having and what I did to fix it, I thought it was obvious, but maybe not. The sway-bar "stiffened" the "front end", it made the machine have less "body-roll" or "less tippy", more "planted", in turns and more stabile in straight line riding (less of the rocking sensation when a gust of wind hits you from any angle. I hope I covered the "cause and effect" of this particular "fix'. I have never ridden the new F3, but have sat on a few, until the wife made me get off and took my phone away so I couldn't call the bank, since I am the "impulse" buyer of our family! Hope this helps. Mac

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Read post #28.

and more stabile in straight line riding (less of the rocking sensation when a gust of wind hits you from any angle.
    I just did. There was no mention of any "straight line" improvement........but there is now.

I don't get any "rocking sensation" when going straight. It feels like it is shifting sideways under me a tiny bit.......but enough to be disconcerting.

Spyder Garage

I just did. There was no mention of any "straight line" improvement........but there is now.

I don't get any "rocking sensation" when going straight. It feels like it is shifting sideways under me a tiny bit.......but enough to be disconcerting.
    Is it a constant "shifting" motion or does it feel like it's "sideways" all the time? If it's a "sideways" all the time thing, an alignment is probably going to have to be re-done since you said it was done once already. The "shifting" could be the road surface acting upon the tires. That's the best I can do for you at this time. Hope all of this helps and hope you get it figured out. Mac

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Is it a constant "shifting" motion or does it feel like it's "sideways" all the time? If it's a "sideways" all the time thing, an alignment is probably going to have to be re-done since you said it was done once already. The "shifting" could be the road surface acting upon the tires. That's the best I can do for you at this time. Hope all of this helps and hope you get it figured out. Mac
    I never said it has had an alignment; it hasn't.

It will be going down the road just fine, sometimes for long stretches, and then just suddenly feels like it is darting to the side slightly.......with no apparent external input.

I suspect it's road surface and poor tread design. If the rear tries to follow a ridge......or "falls off" of one.....I think that's the feeling I'm getting.

I think upping the pressures a little will be my next experiment.

I'm not opposed to spending some money to fix this........but I AM opposed to throwing money away on things that aren't likely to work.

I do NOT have this problem when turning or going around curves at speed.......unless the road surface is really BAD.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

An alignment will help to make your tires wear more evenly (and last longer.).
    It's a quick and relatively cheap process to have done, and positive results are felt immediately.
    (Although I almost suspect that some of your lane movement has a bit to do with the highway crown...)
    Ron's anti-swaybar: I put one on my 2010, and it railed around corners like a slot car on steroids.
    I never put one on my 2014... but I DID notice that it wasn't quite as sharp in the corners...
    So I've got one on my 2018, and am waiting for the weather to clear up so that I can get it properly aligned.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up I owned it also

Yes, I have 17K with the new sway-bar(I installed it the first year I owned it) and am quite satisfied with the outcome. As we have been discussing in this thread, Spyder's are "quirky" machines, you either like them or you don't. I have owned enough quirky recreational vehicles that I know you either adapt or get something else. I had a Kaw ZX11 back in the day, and I could only ride it 60 miles and then I had to get off of it for about 30 min. before I could get back on again, fast as heck, handled fantastic, but a touring bike it was NOT!! So I got rid of it. Mac

Hay Mac,

I used to have a ZX-11 also. I made brackets to lower the foot pegs an inch and bought a bar raising kit. With a double bubble shield all was good for a tour. Had saddle bags, Corbin seat, and a tank bag. Pumped up the motor a bit also. Never should have sold it. Now a have a old , slow V-max for when I feel the need for light speed.( V-boost is a blast)

Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

I never said it has had an alignment; it hasn't.

It will be going down the road just fine, sometimes for long stretches, and then just suddenly feels like it is darting to the side slightly.......with no apparent external input.

I suspect it's road surface and poor tread design. If the rear tries to follow a ridge......or "falls off" of one.....I think that's the feeling I'm getting.

I think upping the pressures a little will be my next experiment.

I'm not opposed to spending some money to fix this........but I AM opposed to throwing money away on things that aren't likely to work.

I do NOT have this problem when turning or going around curves at speed.......unless the road surface is really BAD.
    It does sound like more of a tire issue, even though our tires really don't have any "ribs" in them (stock Kenda's). My RT will "dart" on occasion but I've noticed it was the road surface. I could ride with "no-hands" farther on my Gold Wing's then I can with the Spyder, but I'm sure that has to do more with the contact patch of the machine. I really am not trying to be an A%$, but have you noticed if your rear axle/wheel has been shifting in any direction (possibly loose axle?)? I say this because it would not have to move much to make the machine "jerk". Try looking at your belt and see if it is in the same place on the pulley when you stop or if the clearance against the flange has increased or decreased. P.S. make sure you push the machine fwd a small ways to make sure the belt travel on the pulley is neutralized, for lack of a better word. I find when my belt is adjusted correctly, and if I let it roll backwards, the belt will shift, then when I roll it fwd, it rides where I adjusted it, probably due to the belt's length?? I do hope you can get it worked out because once you get it sorted out, the Spyder is fun to ride and enjoyable. Mac
    Last edited by Mad Mac; 02-23-2018 at 03:41 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lew L View Post
    Hay Mac,

I used to have a ZX-11 also. I made brackets to lower the foot pegs an inch and bought a bar raising kit. With a double bubble shield all was good for a tour. Had saddle bags, Corbin seat, and a tank bag. Pumped up the motor a bit also. Never should have sold it. Now a have a old , slow V-max for when I feel the need for light speed.( V-boost is a blast)

Lew L
    Wasn't that bike a "HOOT"!! (80 mph in 1st gear!) I left mine stock except for a tail bag and tank bag. The tank bag was mainly to lay my chest on as I could take weight off of my wrists. I did have a "kerker" exhaust on it, and yeh, you could hear it coming or going! Man, makes me feel freak'n old trying to remember the "good ole days". Mac
    Last edited by Mad Mac; 02-23-2018 at 03:32 PM.

Spyder Garage

Wasn't that bike a "HOOT"!! (80 mph in 1st gear!) I left mine stock except for a tail bag and tank bag. The tank bag was mainly to lay my chest on as I could take weight off of my wrists. I did have a "kerker" exhaust on it, and yeh, you could hear it coming or going! Man, makes me feel freak'n old trying to remember the "good ole days". Mac

Yes it was!!! I piped and jetted it with a modified air box and intake defuser. Also added a couple of teeth to the rear sprocket. Really pissed off a bunch of bikes that were supposedly faster. I could probably only hit 75 in first but it would loft the front wheel in second if I wasn't leaning well forward. Yes it was a HOOT!!!!

Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lew L View Post
    Yes it was!!! I piped and jetted it with a modified air box and intake defuser. Also added a couple of teeth to the rear sprocket. Really pissed off a bunch of bikes that were supposedly faster. I could probably only hit 75 in first but it would loft the front wheel in second if I wasn't leaning well forward. Yes it was a HOOT!!!!

Lew L
    WE just had to go there, didn't we!!! Yes, I jetted and K&N'd mine, but that was it. Was sure fun to "scream" around on, wasn't it?? I could NOT ride that type of bike again if I had to, But I was glad to have had the opportunity and that chapter of my life. NO regrets! Mac

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    (Although I almost suspect that some of your lane movement has a bit to do with the highway crown...)
    I think you are close to something there.
    Asphalt tends to "flow" under heat and pressure......in places like Florida especially.
    That tends to put a "crown" in the middle of each lane right about where the back wheel runs most of the time.
    Or if you ride a bit off center, the back wheel would be on the side of that little hill.
    I doubt that can be eliminated totally without adding or subtracting one wheel.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

even though our tires really don't have any "ribs" in them (stock Kenda's).

I could ride with "no-hands" farther on my Gold Wing's then I can with the Spyder, but I'm sure that has to do more with the contact patch of the machine.
    All honest thoughts are appreciated.......except those that imply that it's all in my head and I just need to get over it.

I don't know what you mean by "ribs" but mine certainly do have grooves near the center which are essentially un-broken and on a real motorcycle that can be REALLY bad. Those grooves try to follow ridges in the pavement and sometimes even cracks, no matter what you are doing with the bars.

Once you understand that a motorcycle really is steered by weight shift and leaning (initiated by counter-steer at speed) and the gyroscopic forces from the LARGE wheels and tires, you can better appreciate why "no hands" is pretty easy. NONE of those factors apply with 3 wheels.