Spyder Garage

Default Got Nanny Mad...Codes

I think I did something to get nanny real mad. 2014 RTL Going to adjust belt tension. I put the front wheels on 2X10s as usual to provide more clearance for my lift. There were no issues riding the bike onto the 2X10s. Lifted bike enough so the rear wheel was off the ground. Turned key on and parking brake off. I rolled the rear wheel by hand both forward and reverse to check belt alignment. When doing so, there was quite a bit of resistance. My effort to roll the wheel was about twice what I remembered. ????? I adjusted the belt tension and alignment. When restarting the bike, I now have ABS, VSS, & engine light warnings. Went for a short ride around the block and Limp Mode came on, went off, I think, and came back on. The bike did not shift gears normally. Coming to a stop, it did not automatically go down to 1st. And it did not go into reverse with it's normal ease when backing into the garage...???? The brakes feel fine. After reading stuff on this forum, I was able to pull the codes. They are; C003A, P2159, C006C. I turned the bike off for an hour and restarted with no change. I don't see anything broken, leaking, or unusual. Any ideas about what may be going on?
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

codes say speed sensor. check the wires.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by quasi View Post
    codes say speed sensor. check the wires.
    I had the same c006c after a laser alignment and adding som lights. It went into limp home mode. I only
    had 300 miles on the bike and the dealer picked it up and reset everything and 500 miles later
    The problem hasn’t repeated.

Spyder Garage

Default Depends...

One of the codes does make reference to a fuse. I would start there but it would be helpful to know if you did any work that may have caused this. Driving up on some 2x10's would not cause this and raising the rear wheel either. Check all sensors and wires going to the rear wheel right side and the slotted disk...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Thanks Gene. I was obviously working around the right rear area to loosen the axel. Been there may times with no problems. I looked there and everything seems to be OK. Wiggled the wire and no effect. Off to the stealer tomorrow. Hopefully just a minor issue..
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    One of the codes does make reference to a fuse. I would start there but it would be helpful to know if you did any work that may have caused this. Driving up on some 2x10's would not cause this and raising the rear wheel either. Check all sensors and wires going to the rear wheel right side and the slotted disk...
    Does the code make reference as to which fuse? Looking in the manual, I don't see any fuse referenced for the VSS or ABS. Having the limp home mode on may account for the harder spinning of the rear tire.....? I also lowered the bike from the lift and then raised it back up again without tightening the axel bolt. Could this have caused nanny's ire? Sorry for my ignorance. I'm still learning about this bike and trying like mad to stay out of the dealer's shop
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

The nanny can get confused by you moving the rear wheel and the front wheels not turning also. The nanny thinks that should never happen and can throw codes for that. Typically a ride will clear it up, not I'm not sure if how long a ride you need.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Culpjp View Post
    The nanny can get confused by you moving the rear wheel and the front wheels not turning also. The nanny thinks that should never happen and can throw codes for that. Typically a ride will clear it up, not I'm not sure if how long a ride you need.
    That's true but not if you are just spinning the wheel by hand. You'd have to have some pretty beefy arms to spin it fast enough to cause an issue.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

I rechecked everything electrical and the left head light is out. Everything else is OK. Can't believe a burned out head light would create such havoc. Maybe a coincidence....
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Bike has been at the dealer for over a week now. They thought it was a speed sensor so changed it out with a "doner" that was known to be good. That didn't fix it. Today they called BRP technicians for advice. Doing more tests. Service manager going to keep at it tonight to hopefully find what the problem is. I am trying to stay in love with my spyder but it is testing my patience. I still have a Goldwing (my third since the early 90s). The thought of going back to Honda only is starting to creep into my mind. Three Hondas and over 300,000 miles with never a problem. Maybe BRP is making things too complicated for mechanics. Perhaps we need computer experts too. Rant over.
    Semper Fi

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

When these bikes get it in their heads to act up: they take it seriously!
    Good luck, and please let us know what it takes to fix it!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

It turns out that some of the information given was to "blow me off" or some other B.S. stuff. The speed sensor at the rear wheel was bad. The whole business about trying a "donor" sensor was nonsense concocted by a service advisor trying to make it like he was doing something. After replacing the rear speed sensor, everything is A-OK. Now, the same idiot service advisor is trying to blame some former mechanic for it's failure saying it must have been damaged when the rear tire was replaced. Told him I put about 5K miles on the bike after the tire was last replace and he said "well it must have been just hanging on by a thread until it failed". Service manager gave me the bike back and said he will talk with BRP about warranty. I have had, to my knowledge, 3 rear tires on the bike put on by 3 different dealers. If damage was done while installing a tire, who did it? All I know is it wasn't me and my BEST warranty covers speed sensors. Stay tuned.....
    Semper Fi