Spyder Garage

Default Help ! F3 front shock info needed.

Help! Can someone tell me the width of the eye of the F3 Shock? Or, to put it another way, the distance between the front lower shock mount ears. I'm hoping it will be the same as my 2013 ST-s so I can replace my non adjustable shocks.

Spyder Garage

Thanks to ALS, it looks like the F3 shock will fit my ST-S -- so, I was able to purchase Fox Podium R shocks for $320 instead of over $800 for the pair.

Spyder Garage

An ST shock will not work on an F3. I checked because when I went to my F3 from My ST, I wanted to use the Elka Shocks I already had set up for me. Both the dealer service department and Elka told me they are different size shocks and are not interchangeable.
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AY4B View Post
    An ST shock will not work on an F3. I checked because when I went to my F3 from My ST, I wanted to use the Elka Shocks I already had set up for me. Both the dealer service department and Elka told me they are different size shocks and are not interchangeable.
    What aspect of 'Size' was different? I believe the F3 shock is slightly longer eye to eye, (I think 3/8"). Are there other dimensional differences?
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    What aspect of 'Size' was different? I believe the F3 shock is slightly longer eye to eye, (I think 3/8"). Are there other dimensional differences?
    I do not know the specifics but I spent the $$ for Elka's on my ST Limited and it was like night and day difference. When I bought my F3 LTD, I asked both the dealer and Elka and they both said the length of the shock was different and I could not interchange them. Now I am having the same issues all over again with bottoming out. The Dealer replaced the shocks and adjusted the springs and I still hit bottom every now and then. I will end up having to buy another set of Elka's soon. Stage One is good enough though, and are less than the 800 that OP was quoted.
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

I do still have my original Fox Podium shocks from my ST LTD if OP is interested.
    2017 F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

I asked the service department why am I bottoming out when I weigh 160# less than the load limit. They could not answer that.
    2017 F3 Limited

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Husband has my old ST Elka rear shock on his f3s - yes it fits.
    Re fronts, not certain as the st elka fronts are on the garage shelf.

Re dealer who "couldn't say" why bottoming out at 160, change that to "wouldn't say" - the stock f3s shock is abysmal- even little old me bottomed out - Until I owned spyders I had never changed shocks on my bikes, but with spyders it has been essential. Likely the air bag ones are better, but on my f3s a change was vital. Fronts are ok so far - or hopefully will be when I figure out how to adjust them.