Spyder Garage

Default Car tire comparison needed

It’s still the dead of winter in Wisconsin, but soon enough I’m going to need new rubber on my F-3 Ltd. The reports I’ve been reading seem to like the General Altimax 215/60-15 and the Kumho 225/50-15, but each tire has also had detractors. I’d like to hear from somebody who has tried them BOTH and who has a preference based on actual comparative experience. It would be good to hear the reasoning one is preferred over the other. I suspect many of us will be looking for this information sooner or later. Please, if you’ve got it, share it.

Spyder Garage

Default no general

i've not tried the General, but i'm here to tell you the KUMHO is an excellent tire... i've had 4 on my SPYD3RS....
    i'm now riding a Michelin HYDRO-EDGE on the transom and i'm especially pleased with this tire...
    you can find the Mich here: https://simpletire.com but move quickly, because they are going fast, and Michelin has superseded this tire with another model....

i have the 215/60 R15 on my F3-S, with 11,000 miles of smiles, and she still looks brand-new... hoping to get about 40 - 45K out of her.... best i ever did with the KUMHO'S was about 22K....

best of luck, and ride safely....
    Dan
    SPYD3R

Spyder Garage

I have personal experience with the Kumho and the Yokohama. Hands down traction and rain performance go to the Yoko.

No experience with the General. Also be aware the 215 60 15 you are looking at is taller than the oem tire. We have seen some rub on the rear fender of RT and F3T when loaded and going over bumps. We recommend the Yoko 205/55/15 as its an exact diameter match to oem and a great overall tire for the bike.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

I don't have an F3 so I can't make a direct comparison, but between those two, which I've run on my RT, I'd recommend the General over the Kumho. I have not tried the Yokohama, but they are an excellent manufacturer so I'm sure that'd be a good choice.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6