Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Help with the 2018 RTL dash .

On the right side of the 2018 dash , when scrolling through the windows , we find three trip gages . One is for trip A , one is for trip B , and one is for over all . All three have the same format . In the center there is gas pump . To the right of the pump there are two horizontal lines . The top one is labeled "inst" for instant , The bottom one is labeled "avg" , I would guess for average . My question is what does this thing do ? It ends with "70" and the bar never changes . the top one changes with your instant mileage , but the bottom one does nothing . Can any one help ? How does it work ?

Spyder Garage

I gotta ask, what does the manual say on Page 33 about that section of the dash?
    Do you mean this view?
    18 Dash trip Stat.JPG
    Maybe the 70 you're seeing is Trip Distance or Max speed? If it's fuel consumption, I'm ordering an '18 today!
    The Statistics menu is used to get :– Trip distance information
    – Trip elapsed time information
    – Instant fuel consumption
    – Average fuel consumption
    – Maximum speed
    – Average speed
    Last edited by DGoebel; 02-19-2018 at 02:09 PM.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Default Goebel

Quote Originally Posted by DGoebel View Post
    I gotta ask, what does the manual say on Page 33 about that section of the dash?
    Maybe the 70 you're seeing is Max speed?
    – Maximum speed
    – Average speed

The manual tells nothing . One of the worst manuals I've seen . They don't even know at my Can Am store . meerkat
    Last edited by meerkat; 02-19-2018 at 02:10 PM. Reason: more info

Spyder Garage

Yea, I just read it, and I've watched several of the BRP Tutorial Video's and they gloss right over it. Even the example in one of their video's has the Inst 70 and Avg 70 bars which would appear to be the same as what you stated. Maybe the gauge isn't updating (that statistic) and is stuck on the "DEMO" mode or something?
    Watched this Youtube vid 2018 Can-Am Spyder Gauge User Experience and the Youtube vid 2018 Can-Am Spyder Gauge Overview
    Both flash right by the screenshot above.
    Last edited by DGoebel; 02-19-2018 at 02:16 PM.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

It says MPG but he only has 1.2 miles on it
    According to mine I have
    713.4 miles on it and it took 27 hours and 18 minutes.
    my max MPG is 91 (probably idle)
    and my average is 26
    my phone battery is fully charged and my Bluetooth is 1 bar.
    I will post a pix later
    Last edited by ahh-cool; 02-19-2018 at 05:23 PM.

Spyder Garage

Nope the 15 is Max speed on that trip.(That's a screen grab I got from one of the BRP videos), and The OP said his has been on 70 everytime he checks it.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

70 is not max speed. I had it much faster than that and mine shows 70 also

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Try "clearing" that 70, and see what happens.
    (It may have been left in there from a calibration attempt... )
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ahh-cool View Post
    70 is not max speed. I had it much faster than that and mine shows 70 also

Checked the new ones at the store , they say the same thing .

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Mine has 70 also. I cleared both A & B trips as all data in the 3rd tab that shows the odometer.

TGHe one thing I'm still waiting for is the software update. I have Tri Axis bars, Backrest and different wheels to be installed and the dealer has been too busy to install them and they want to be able to do the software update at the same time and now that their service tech has had an accident I have to wait another 3 weeks.

Anyone had the software updated yet? If so, how?
    Last edited by Flamewinger; 03-01-2018 at 04:25 PM.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Do you mean this view?
    18 Dash trip Stat.JPG
    Maybe the 70 you're seeing is Trip Distance or Max speed? If it's fuel consumption, I'm ordering an '18 today!
    – Maximum speed
    – Average speed

Yes , that's the one and the top white horizontal bar says instant MPG and starts when you start moving and looks to be correct . The bottom yellow bar says average but never moves . I'm sure its suppose to give you your average MPG . but don't . meerkat

Spyder Garage

Meerkat, It looks like you're the first to find that issue, have you passed this along to BRP Cares since your dealer doesn't know? Maybe with the help of a passenger or a chest mounted Go pro type video camera you could film that display section not updating while riding. Safety first though eh?
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Default DGoebel

Meerkat, It looks like you're the first to find that issue, have you passed this along to BRP Cares since your dealer doesn't know? Maybe with the help of a passenger or a chest mounted Go pro type video camera you could film that display section not updating while riding. Safety first though eh?

No , I didn't know about "BRP Cares" , I'll try to find them . I did call Can am and they told me to call the dealer , but they say they don't know . Oh well , I guess it will come out eventually . Thanks , meerkat

E-mail sent , 10:30 There really is nothing to film , because it does nothing .
    Last edited by meerkat; 02-24-2018 at 10:33 PM. Reason: more info

Spyder Garage

You (we) are all too old to understand what is obvious to ANY 14 year old. You need an interpreter. Time to introduce the new Spyder to the grandkids.....They can explain it
    Last edited by canamjhb; 02-24-2018 at 11:08 PM.
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Default 2018 RT

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    Ironically, Can Am displays on previous years could not keep accurate time with the digital clock, what are the odds a full digital display will work correctly?

Sorry, I had to, like fishing in a fish bowl...

Yes , I guess $30,000.00 for a motorcycle is not enough to ask that it should work correctly .

Spyder Garage

Default 2018 RTL dash

Have contacted can am , she checked and said they have nothing on record . she said contact dealer and tell them to contact can am and tell them to open a case with BRP technician . She checked and they have not done so . Are we having fun yet ? meerkat

Spyder Garage

I take it you've also been in contact with Bob Denman here on SL's, he's been experiencing his new '18 dash and maybe, if his behaves different than yours, you guys can figure out which firmware version your respective bikes have. I know some software / firmware update has come out for them and can't remember if you mentioned your spyder got that update or not.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Just to add to this thread and to verify that it's not an isolated issue, I'm having similar problems with the stats page (70 is the maximum, average MPG never changes from 70, etc). The display show the following for versions:

BRP Version: 710005255
    CSS Version: 010.05

Other problems also, so if this is the "Display issues", I'll add them in a bit.

2018 Spyder RTL

Spyder Garage

I take it you've also been in contact with Bob Denman here on SL's, he's been experiencing his new '18 dash and maybe, if his behaves different than yours, you guys can figure out which firmware version your respective bikes have. I know some software / firmware update has come out for them and can't remember if you mentioned your spyder got that update or not.
    My machine has not had the update as yet . Possibly that is what we need . From what I'm hearing everyone is having the same problem .

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by macbates View Post
    Just to add to this thread and to verify that it's not an isolated issue, I'm having similar problems with the stats page (70 is the maximum, average MPG never changes from 70, etc). The display show the following for versions:

BRP Version: 710005255
    CSS Version: 010.05

Other problems also, so if this is the "Display issues", I'll add them in a bit.

2018 Spyder RTL
    Macbates, Does that number even change while moving?
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Try "clearing" that 70, and see what happens.
    (It may have been left in there from a calibration attempt... )

Bob , Tried that , didn't help . Are you having the same problem ?

Spyder Garage

Macbates, Does that number even change while moving?
    Just got back from a fairly long ride with the following results:

Trip hour meter was correct: 4 hr 32 min, which I assume is 'engine on' time. Total of 182 miles.

The maximum MPH showed 76, which is correct. Average MPH showed 40, which seems to be right for 4.5 hours and 182 miles.

Instantaneous MPG fluctuated between 0.4 (stopped) and 70 (which appears to be the maximum). It's hard to tell, but the way the instantaneous MPG varied as I up and down shifted, it seemed to be correct. Average MPG stayed locked at 70, so it's a definite bug in the software. I'll report this to BRP, but if others report this also it may help.

I filled up the tank at the end of the ride, and the actual MPG came out to 42.8, which I don't think is bad at all, especially since the bike is brand new, I had a passenger, and a lot of the riding was in 5th gear (I was in the mountains).

- Ken

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

We're having a Blizzard here right now...
    The snow is coming at us sideways, and wind gusts are up over 40 mph...
    Once this crap clears out, and the roads are decent again: I'll take a run at this issue.

effin' snow...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default 2018 RTL dash

Quote Originally Posted by macbates View Post
    Just got back from a fairly long ride with the following results:

Trip hour meter was correct: 4 hr 32 min, which I assume is 'engine on' time. Total of 182 miles.

The maximum MPH showed 76, which is correct. Average MPH showed 40, which seems to be right for 4.5 hours and 182 miles.

Instantaneous MPG fluctuated between 0.4 (stopped) and 70 (which appears to be the maximum). It's hard to tell, but the way the instantaneous MPG varied as I up and down shifted, it seemed to be correct. Average MPG stayed locked at 70, so it's a definite bug in the software. I'll report this to BRP, but if others report this also it may help.

I filled up the tank at the end of the ride, and the actual MPG came out to 42.8, which I don't think is bad at all, especially since the bike is brand new, I had a passenger, and a lot of the riding was in 5th gear (I was in the mountains).

- Ken
    I called BRP yesterday , they checked and had nothing on record about this problem . They told me to go to the dealer and tell them to open a case with a PRP technician , which I did today , and they told me that they did that. When I told him that they had nothing on record , he said that BRP saves those for about a week , then discards them . My machine has the initial update with the additional required cord but this does not solve the problem according to the dealer .HE said I have to wait for the next update witch is coming , no not when , and that should solve the problem . meerkat

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by meerkat View Post
    I called BRP yesterday , they checked and had nothing on record about this problem . They told me to go to the dealer and tell them to open a case with a PRP technician , which I did today , and they told me that they did that. When I told him that they had nothing on record , he said that BRP saves those for about a week , then discards them . My machine has the initial update with the additional required cord but this does not solve the problem according to the dealer .HE said I have to wait for the next update witch is coming , no not when , and that should solve the problem . meerkat
    I'm glad you are reporting all of this. At least people can be aware. Thanks.
    2015 RT Limited: Fox Shocks - RonJon swaybar and links - BRP Comfort Seat - BRP Triaxis handlebars - Yokohama tires (26psi fronts 28psi back) - Centramatic wheel balancers - BRP belt tensioner - BRP Short windshield - CATdelete/Spyder1 attitude exhaust - Lamonster footpegs - sintered brake pads - LED TRYCLED lights - BumpSkid

2015 RT Limited , black