Spyder Garage

Default F3-S rear shock install

Hey Gang !! As many of you now know, the OEM rear shock on the new F3-S is far from desirable. That being said, my plan is to swap it out with a new Fox adjustable to smooth out the ride. I plan to do the work myself and am looking for any advice on the install. I've read that by removing the seat makes accessing the top of the shock easier, however, after doing this, I'm still not able to get to the top post of the shock. Supposedly by removing the seat eliminated the need to remove all of the lower plastic to access the top post from the under side of the bike. Does anyone have experience swapping out the rear shock, and if so, any advice is certainly appreciated? Also, recommendations on shocks? My riding style is not overly aggressive, but that of just cruising and enjoying the wind in my face. Thank you in advance !!!

Spyder Garage

Default FEW

I'VE DONE A FEW.....
    removing the seat wasn't necessary.....
    remove underside plastic.... pain in the butt get'n back up with the 2 recessed screws, but do'able....
    place a scissor jack under frame, and left slightly....
    loosen both top & bottom bolts of the shock....
    remove lower bolt... then go after the top bolt - you may need to jack her up some until the bolt can slide out without resistance...
    remove shock....
    installing new shock;
    make sure shock is collapsed completely....
    position new shock within the mounting points....
    insert new bolts (no reason to use the old ones)...
    torque to required ft. lbs...
    replace underside plastic...
    lower & remove jack...
    you are ready to ride...
    should take no more than 30 minutes and one beer.... unless the underside plastic wants to play games, then it may take 3 or 4 beers to finish...
    hope this helps...
    Dan P
    SPYD3R
    Last edited by SPYD3R; 02-19-2018 at 11:57 AM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mjrcpd View Post
    Hey Gang !! As many of you now know, the OEM rear shock on the new F3-S is far from desirable. That being said, my plan is to swap it out with a new Fox adjustable to smooth out the ride. I plan to do the work myself and am looking for any advice on the install. I've read that by removing the seat makes accessing the top of the shock easier, however, after doing this, I'm still not able to get to the top post of the shock. Supposedly by removing the seat eliminated the need to remove all of the lower plastic to access the top post from the under side of the bike. Does anyone have experience swapping out the rear shock, and if so, any advice is certainly appreciated? Also, recommendations on shocks? My riding style is not overly aggressive, but that of just cruising and enjoying the wind in my face. Thank you in advance !!!
    If it has an adjustable rebound screw on the bottom make sure you install it with the screw facing the front. I initially didn't take notice & installed my Rear Elka with the adjustment screw facing the rear--only to find out 6 months later when I decided to readjust the rebound that there is no access room in the rear & thus has to reverse the bottom. I think the newer rear Elka's have an adjustment knob in lieu of the screw
    Darrell
    2015 F3's , two 12 volt power outlets Orange & Black