Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default 3/4 Lids I am torn...

I am thinking of getting a new lid and I am torn between the HJC jet and the shoei. If its out there I know you guys would know thanks. I will also be mounting sena 20 units both.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Happy hunting!
    Will you be taking your head to a store, and actually trying on the leading contestants?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MOSESS View Post
    I am thinking of getting a new lid and I am torn between the HJC jet and the shoei. If its out there I know you guys would know thanks. I will also be mounting sena 20 units both.
    I recently had the same dilemma. After extensive research regarding safety, comfort, price, etc...
    I opted for the Shoei Neotech. Although it was fairly pricey, I figured it was worth the investment in the long run.
    The only issue I had was the padding was squeezing my cheek which I remedied by putting something in the helmet for a couple days which made the padding
    less fluffy. The helmet is super comfortable and I love the modular design and all of the built in goodies...
    Check it out, I love it!
    Good Luck on your search.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

NOT to rain on your Parade ...

But I'd feel as if I wasn't doing my job; if I didn't post this;

Helmet Impact Study Results.jpg

Ignore it or not: the choice is yours to make.

Spyder Garage

Default Thank you

Thank you for the reply, I presently own a neotec and love it, Bob great info and that's why I am asking these questions. So from what I am getting here is stay with a full face.

Spyder Garage

I prefer a 3/4 helmet with a short visor, when the weather cooperates. Due to the humidity here in Wisc. during the summer, it makes wearing one for the day much nicer. But I have to admit that I also wear a full-face when I'm on a trip and it starts to rain to somewhat keep my glasses drier and to also keep the rain from pelting the heck out of me. When I'm on a trip, I usually tow my trailer and I keep one in a helmet bag and one on my head and swap out as weather permits. My wife has a Shoei 3/4 type helmet but it has a full face shield with a drop-down sun visor, and she prefers that because she feels claustrophobic in a full-face style helmet. From what I have seen in the motorcycle apparel mags, that their is quite the selection of helmets and I'm sure you will find one that suits your needs and looks good to boot! Mac

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Try the Shark Evo option.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thank you for the reply, I presently own a neotec and love it, Bob great info and that's why I am asking these questions. So from what I am getting here is stay with a full face.
    I'm not saying anything: I just wanted to give you a little bit more information.
    No judgement...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffmal View Post
    I recently had the same dilemma. After extensive research regarding safety, comfort, price, etc...
    I opted for the Shoei Neotech. Although it was fairly pricey, I figured it was worth the investment in the long run.
    The only issue I had was the padding was squeezing my cheek which I remedied by putting something in the helmet for a couple days which made the padding
    less fluffy. The helmet is super comfortable and I love the modular design and all of the built in goodies...
    Check it out, I love it!
    Good Luck on your search.
    Me too! I really wanted the Shoei Neotech but having just getting a new Spyder and having to equip it with all the essentials farckles, I went for the HJC Modular to save a little cash. The cheek pads are also a little tight but they say to get it that way. It will break in. I went with the Sena 30K though.
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It will make communicating on your Sena much clearer if you have a modular. It is hard to cut out the wind noise on a 3/4. Have you looked at those helmets that have the removable chin bar? They aren't cheap but would allow you to go with the 3/4 feel when you want and the full face/modular at other times. I think BRP has one.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

We prefer modulars as well. I love my Shoei neotec and the wife prefers her Scorpion Exo 950. We wouldn’t leave home without them!
    2015 RT-S Special Series BajaRons bar w/heim links, Spyderpops bumpskid, Lamonster's - Dual power plate w/gps swivel, NBV pegs, IPS lidlox & key cover, Spyder cuff w/holder, Perf cat-delete pipe w/ BC Thunder QQ baffle, Ultra brt LED fog & headlights. TricLED safety bundle & Wide Vu, Stebel horn, Akrapovic sport exhaust, Ultimate Croc inlay seat, BRP passenger armrests, BRP air scoop, ISCI handbrake, 23" vent windshield, Garmin 595 GPS w/Kradellock, Magic mirrors.

Spyder Garage

Nolan Modulars here. I have a total of eight Nolans. Started with the full faces and have worked our way to the Modulars. That is what we are now comfortable with. The latest--purchased last year have the N-com systems instead of Sena. We prefer the Sena for more clear and longer communication distance. The helmets are great. Neither one of us use the chin bars.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Our Dealer

When we purchased our 2013 RTL our dealer had Nolans. We went with the N40 fulls which have the removable chin guards, ventilation could be a little better though but not bad. Like other posters here we use the chin guards on longer trips. We got 20% off thru our dealer but they were still a little pricey. Our salesman upgraded us to the Nolan B5 intercoms we love them also
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    It will make communicating on your Sena much clearer if you have a modular. It is hard to cut out the wind noise on a 3/4. Have you looked at those helmets that have the removable chin bar? They aren't cheap but would allow you to go with the 3/4 feel when you want and the full face/modular at other times. I think BRP has one.

Spyder Garage

Default I'm in with.....

I have found the modular helmets work best for me and the wife. Closed up to full face when on the freeway at speeds and open on the curvy mountain road...But each ryder must find what makes them happy and safe....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default HJC JET

I have the HJC Jet, and was wearing it during my recent crash. Bought another one. It couldn't do anything to prevent the broken ribs; I did have a mild concussion, probably would have been a lot worse without a helmet.

What I like about this helmet:
    The shield is full sized, goes down to the chin, provides a lot of face protection.
    The built in sunscreen is very useful. I didn't think I'd find this helpful, but it really works. One less thing to remember.

I bought it in yellow. My friend who likes to ride behind (WAY behind) in group rides says she can always find me.

In the summer, the ventilation is fine. I have yet to figure out how to install air conditioning on the Spyder, so good ventilation while moving is the best I can do. There's a couple of vents on the helmet, opening them is easy.

I was able to get this at my local shop. Not very expensive, only a little more then the internet.

There's really no negatives about this helmet for me. I don't use Sena or anything like that, so I can't rate how well that works. It is good for sticking my earbuds in my ears and listening to my own particular form of "music".

Good luck in your search.

~Sandee~

~Sandee~
    2016 RT-L (Purchased used in February 2018)
    RT Dash Mount (from JT's Spyder Store)
    Kuryakin Trident Highway Pegs
    Hopnel Pouch
    Magic Mirrors
    Spyderpops Foam Handgrips
    Iron Butt #35273
    Girls on Spyders #2779

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post

excellent point
    A 3/4 helmet is too dangerous for this old head.

2017 F3, SM6-basic black, plain and simple

Spyder Garage

Comfort is critical and I don't think you can fully appreciate the comfort of a helmet from trying it on for 15 minutes in the store. I learned this the hard way; I bought an HJC because it looked good and felt good in the store. After an hour's ride, though, I'd have a splitting headache and big red mark on my forehead. I later learned that I have a long oval shaped head and HJC usually makes helmets for folks with round (Earth) shaped heads. That's no slap at HJC, that's just the shape they choose to make and it probably fits people with Earth-shaped heads just great. Hence I'd recommend you spend some time on WebBikeWorld and RevZilla concerning helmets and head shape. I ended up going with Arai and it's very comfortable for me because Arai's helmets are for people with long oval-shaped heads. As I understand it, Shoeis come in several different shapes, mostly for oval-shaped heads but perhaps not "long oval" like Arai. I also have to agree with the recommendation for a full-face helmet, not just for the added protection but because your communicator will work better.
    2017 RTS , Blue

Spyder Garage

Default Thank you

Wow lots of info. I am heading to a shop here in nj tomorrow and check out a few. I am also going to buy from a local dealer. just so I can do my part to keep these guys in business. I figure a bit more research is needed.
    Last edited by MOSESS; 02-20-2018 at 08:02 PM.

Spyder Garage

We've been searching for helmets also. It's difficult as not many places by us have any selection of 3/4 helmets. So when we attended the motorcycle show in January we found all the brand's to try on. I thought the shoei was the ticket until I came across the Aria CTZ model. That's what we decided to buy. They're about the same money as Shoei too. I really liked the fit and so did my SO. In other helmets I've felt like my ears were being smashed against my head but not with the Arai's, nice ear pockets and good spaces for communication systems. Good luck with your search. Chris

2021 RT Limited
    2021 Spyder RT Liminted , Marsala Red in Black

Spyder Garage

In selecting a helmet, there is one question you have to ask yourself..........what is your head worth?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post

As you can see by Bob's illustration most impact is on the chin and face area in M/C accidents. A fellow Pilot and Classmate of mine had a terrible accident with his son on the back. Car made a left hand turn and he broadsided it. He was wearing a 3/4 helmet and spent the next 6 months in the hospital while they built a new jaw with teeth a little at a time. I would never ever wear anything but a full face helmet or let a passenger do so. Small inconvenience for the safety it provides. His son went over the car and did survive with near fatal injuries.

Please reconsider. Thanks Bob for the study/illustration.

​Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post
    As you can see by Bob's illustration most impact is on the chin and face area in M/C accidents. A fellow Pilot and Classmate of mine had a terrible accident with his son on the back. Car made a left hand turn and he broadsided it. He was wearing a 3/4 helmet and spent the next 6 months in the hospital while they built a new jaw with teeth a little at a time. I would never ever wear anything but a full face helmet or let a passenger do so. Small inconvenience for the safety it provides. His son went over the car and did survive with near fatal injuries.

Please reconsider. Thanks Bob for the study/illustration.

​Jack
    hi guys/gals
    i have been reading lots, but after this comment I had to post. I would agree 100% on a full face also as I had an bike accident 20 yrs ago with a car and only part that was ok was my head as body was 80% road rash, 12 months in hospital 37 operations lower right leg amputation and helmet was trashed but not even a head concussion. So wife will let me buy a spyder now and so I bought the Daytona 500 and will also be looking at a great full face and hand brake as it was right leg amputated. So yes the head is worth saving....great site and maybe 1day run into a few people on spiders....👍🏻

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by C. Lee View Post
    We've been searching for helmets also. It's difficult as not many places by us have any selection of 3/4 helmets. So when we attended the motorcycle show in January we found all the brand's to try on. I thought the shoei was the ticket until I came across the Aria CTZ model. That's what we decided to buy. They're about the same money as Shoei too. I really liked the fit and so did my SO. In other helmets I've felt like my ears were being smashed against my head but not with the Arai's, nice ear pockets and good spaces for communication systems. Good luck with your search. Chris
    I agree 100%. The Aria CTZ is what we have and the fit and finish is second to none.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

We were going to go to a 3/4 but after seeing Bob's picture we decided to stay with a modular.