Spyder Garage

Default Best Bluetooth Solution I've found so far

I have a cheap eBay iPod in the back and I've tried many things to get decent Bluetooth without taking up the iPod port. I think I found it. The only problem is, it depends on a previous mod I did. Still, you probably have a similar mod.

Here's a picture:

IMG_20180218_131220.jpg

Try not to snicker at my playlists. I have a lot on there and it just happens to be on a few odd ones. So here's what you are looking at:

1) X mount put through the GPS mount hole using an electrical conduit clip as described elsewhere on this forum. I used to have a real X mount and since my ex stripped the bike while holding it hostage, I replaced it with a cheaper unit from China (boo -- I know, bad me). However, since it is Bluetooth, you don't really need this. The phone can stay in your pocket.

2) A cigarette lighter socket put in the port side speaker grille. The plastic part is cheap, so I bought an extra in case I messed it up or ever wanted to get rid of it. I wired it right to the battery which is a plus and a minus (no pun intended). This is a very simple way to get power in the cockpit, but the grille has a tendency to pull out so you have to get used to stabilize it with one hand while pulling out the plug with the other. On the plus side, I plug my float charger in here. On the down side, I'm afraid to leave things like the Bluetooth plugged in when I'm parked for a long time as it will drain the battery, possibly.

3) An Otium Bluetooth to FM unit. This plugs into the lighter, provides a 2.1A charging output, has a little screen, a volume control, a channel +/- (FM) and a next/previous track control. The gooseneck is not really stiff enough to get in just the right angle but it is ok. I'm sure there are other brands that are all the same. The frequency range is lower than the Spyder's (so that's good) and it easily overpowered the local stations in Houston (which there are many). You can see I have it on 88.1 and it remembers that even after it is off and back on again (not all of them do that). I think it does reset the volume though, but that's not a big deal.

The only thing is you have to make sure the plug is ALL THE WAY IN. Otherwise every bump will disconnect it. That will depend a lot on your socket, too, but just make sure it is in all the way.

Works great! There's also an aux in plug on the side but I have not tried that.

Added:
    There's also a TF card slot that I didn't notice. Here's the manual: https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=h...23115595367179

Not that it does you much good ;-)
    Last edited by wd5gnr; 02-18-2018 at 04:12 PM.
    2013 RT , Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

They say necessity is the mother of invention. Glad you were able to figure out a way that works for you and your pocket book.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Default optium fm receiver

Quote Originally Posted by wd5gnr View Post
    I have a cheap eBay iPod in the back and I've tried many things to get decent Bluetooth without taking up the iPod port. I think I found it. The only problem is, it depends on a previous mod I did. Still, you probably have a similar mod.

Here's a picture:

IMG_20180218_131220.jpg

Try not to snicker at my playlists. I have a lot on there and it just happens to be on a few odd ones. So here's what you are looking at:

1) X mount put through the GPS mount hole using an electrical conduit clip as described elsewhere on this forum. I used to have a real X mount and since my ex stripped the bike while holding it hostage, I replaced it with a cheaper unit from China (boo -- I know, bad me). However, since it is Bluetooth, you don't really need this. The phone can stay in your pocket.

2) A cigarette lighter socket put in the port side speaker grille. The plastic part is cheap, so I bought an extra in case I messed it up or ever wanted to get rid of it. I wired it right to the battery which is a plus and a minus (no pun intended). This is a very simple way to get power in the cockpit, but the grille has a tendency to pull out so you have to get used to stabilize it with one hand while pulling out the plug with the other. On the plus side, I plug my float charger in here. On the down side, I'm afraid to leave things like the Bluetooth plugged in when I'm parked for a long time as it will drain the battery, possibly.

3) An Otium Bluetooth to FM unit. This plugs into the lighter, provides a 2.1A charging output, has a little screen, a volume control, a channel +/- (FM) and a next/previous track control. The gooseneck is not really stiff enough to get in just the right angle but it is ok. I'm sure there are other brands that are all the same. The frequency range is lower than the Spyder's (so that's good) and it easily overpowered the local stations in Houston (which there are many). You can see I have it on 88.1 and it remembers that even after it is off and back on again (not all of them do that). I think it does reset the volume though, but that's not a big deal.

The only thing is you have to make sure the plug is ALL THE WAY IN. Otherwise every bump will disconnect it. That will depend a lot on your socket, too, but just make sure it is in all the way.

Works great! There's also an aux in plug on the side but I have not tried that.

Added:
    There's also a TF card slot that I didn't notice. Here's the manual: https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=h...23115595367179

Not that it does you much good ;-)
    I dont know how optium works however it works for me..when I removed the analog meters one of them I installed a cigarette socket so the optium goes in there set to 88.9. plays through my speakers. I use the mini sd card, downloaded enough music I never hear the same tunes when riding. I did find that when used in my 2013 f150 it triggered the low pressure tire fault alarm light, which I found is a common complaint on 2013 f-150. something about the frequency used. Amazon $17.99
    Last edited by marty1096; 03-18-2018 at 04:05 PM.