Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Yes! Another tire thread...question

Looking for people who have run either the federal formoza az01 or 595 evo on the front of a F3 or F3S only please. These are my 2 choices in the stock size. I’ve read many review on these tires but all on different models than mine. It would be nice to get some feedback from someone running something similar to me. I have no problem with the stock tire as far as traction goes, just can’t seem to get the damn things balanced.
    2015 F3S-T , Black Black & Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I don't have a F3 but do have a RT and really like the Formoza Tires on the front end.

Spyder Garage

I'm running the AZ01's on mine. Love 'em! Night and day difference. Made the handling light and nimble. Much better cornering traction both cold and hot at a somewhat more normal running pressure (20 vs 15 on the Kendas which made the byke feel like a truck)

I was torn between the 595EVO and the AZ01, ended up on the AZ01's simply because I couldn't locate a pair of the EVO's at the time. No regrets tho. But I like the look of the EVO's and will prob run those next. I am hard on my tires and I am wearing the outer edges off like a man possessed. Not the tires fault, just the geometry of the machine and my riding style... I did read a few (very few) reviews on the EVO's saying they were noisy and hard riding. Not sure how accurate that can be on an 850lb machine with so much mechanical linkage between you and the tires. Now when I was on 2 wheels, it was a totally different aspect....
    Last edited by hypurone; 02-18-2018 at 07:37 AM.

'15 F3-S Pure Magnesium Metallic - Mad Max Edition
    '15 Mclaren 650S Coupe - Aurora Blue

"You Were Really Flyin', When I Passed You Back There!"

Chuck
    2015 F3-S , Pure Magnesium Metallic/Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by hypurone View Post
    I'm running the AZ01's on mine. Love 'em! Night and day difference. Made the handling light and nimble. Much better cornering traction both cold and hot at a somewhat more normal running pressure (20 vs 15 on the Kendas which made the byke feel like a truck)

I was torn between the 595EVO and the AZ01, ended up on the AZ01's simply because I couldn't locate a pair of the EVO's at the time. No regrets tho. But I like the look of the EVO's and will prob run those next. I am hard on my tires and I am wearing the outer edges off like a man possessed. Not the tires fault, just the geometry of the machine and my riding style... I did read a few (very few) reviews on the EVO's saying they were noisy and hard riding. Not sure how accurate that can be on an 850lb machine with so much mechanical linkage between you and the tires. Now when I was on 2 wheels, it was a totally different aspect....
    Thanks! That’s the kind of response I was looking for. I push my bike hard in the corners (probably harder than I should be) and I want something that grips good. I guess I could just slow down, but what would be the fun in that.

I also see you have the slower color, sorry....you should of gotten the black & chrome if you really wanted to go fast.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default tire theory mis-conceptions

#1.- since Spyders only weigh about 1/4 as much as cars do ... using car tires that are designed to hold up a car that weighs 4000 lbs at the same PSI is foolish, the tire will LOSE traction much sooner. This is a Fact not a Theory ...... #2.- and as far as the EVO's go ... the kids who like to slide their cars around - known as Drifting - well the tire they say is the best for doing that is the EVO..... which logically means the tire is NOT a high traction tire, because those people Want their cars to slide ....#3.- and the outside wear on your tires is do to bad Alignment not your riding style .............. Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    #2.- and as far as the EVO's go ... the kids who like to slide their cars around - known as Drifting - well the tire they say is the best for doing that is the EVO..... which logically means the tire is NOT a high traction tire, because those people Want their cars to slide ....#3.- and the outside wear on your tires is do to bad Alignment not your riding style .............. Mike
    The AZ01's which are the same V rating as the EVO's, grip fantastically! I can't imagine the EVO's would be much less capable, in fact I would expect them to grip better with the lower UTQG rating of 260 that indicates a softer compound vs a UTQG of 380 on my AZ01's. The Kenda's would slide with ease, hot or cold no matter the air pressure before or after alignment. The AZ01's DO NOT SLIDE AT ALL NO MATTER WHAT. You can do with that what you like.... As far as #3 above, UH NOPE, it has been laser aligned by Elk Grove and until I started hammering harder in the corners after gaining confidence in the new tires, there wasn't any noticeable wear....

Chuck

Spyder Garage

Default TIRE THEORY

The AZ01's which are the same V rating as the EVO's, grip fantastically! I can't imagine the EVO's would be much less capable, in fact I would expect them to grip better with the lower UTQG rating of 260 that indicates a softer compound vs a UTQG of 380 on my AZ01's. The Kenda's would slide with ease, hot or cold no matter the air pressure before or after alignment. The AZ01's DO NOT SLIDE AT ALL NO MATTER WHAT. You can do with that what you like.... As far as #3 above, UH NOPE, it has been laser aligned by Elk Grove and until I started hammering harder in the corners after gaining confidence in the new tires, there wasn't any noticeable wear....
    ... I believe " you can lead a horse to water , but you can't make them drink " ...... I wish you nothing but good thoughts about your " feelings " about tires, however my training and schooling say otherwise ......... Mike

Spyder Garage

Default Ding! Ding! Ding!

... I believe " you can lead a horse to water , but you can't make them drink " ...... I wish you nothing but good thoughts about your " feelings " about tires, however my training and schooling say otherwise ......... Mike
    I didn’t mean to start a fight over this. I am an ASE master auto tech & I know that specs on tires don’t mean ****. That’s why I asked someone’s opinion that has actually used these tires on their Spyder. You can have the exact same tires on 10 different cars & they will all perform different, especially when you have a car tire on a motorcycle. Thanks for your real world experience & opinion on this Hyper, I’m going to order me a set of the formoza’s.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JS3535 View Post
    Looking for people who have run either the federal formoza az01 or 595 evo on the front of a F3 or F3S only please. These are my 2 choices in the stock size. I’ve read many review on these tires but all on different models than mine. It would be nice to get some feedback from someone running something similar to me. I have no problem with the stock tire as far as traction goes, just can’t seem to get the damn things balanced.
    I have a 2015 F3s, and up until last year I had the stock Kendas until I upgraded to the same size Evos, and that was obviously a great improvement. This year I purchased a set of PPA wheels on sale, and so I went with the 175 size azo1's. Haven't had a chance to mount them yet, but pretty sure the new combo will be the cat's meow!
    I'll have a set of stock rims and evos on sale soon..
    BTW, I had added the Centramatic balancers, and they seemed to work for me before with the evos.. We'll see how they work with the new wheels and tires that my local shop couldn't balance because of their size.
    Last edited by jneg2; 02-18-2018 at 08:32 PM.

Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I have a '17 F3S Daytona and one of the first thing I did was put Federal EVO's on it. They are a great, long wearing tire.

Spyder Garage

Maybe this will fix ?

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bfromla View Post
    Maybe this will fix ?
    Yes, I already have those & tried those. After a little bit of mix up (I removed all the weight then installed balancers, come to find out you’re supposed to leave the weight on) I had the wheels rebalanced & it seems to be worse than before. I’m going with new tires just because I’ve heard so many bad thing about the Kendra’s, thinking they may be the problem & because new tires are only about $100. I’m hoping this does the trick.

Spyder Garage

and the same to you.... I have 20+ years in the automotive world with many years of it in the tire industry.... and I'm gonna leave it at that....

Chuck

Spyder Garage

I didn’t mean to start a fight over this. I am an ASE master auto tech & I know that specs on tires don’t mean ****. That’s why I asked someone’s opinion that has actually used these tires on their Spyder. You can have the exact same tires on 10 different cars & they will all perform different, especially when you have a car tire on a motorcycle. Thanks for your real world experience & opinion on this Hyper, I’m going to order me a set of the formoza’s.
    Enjoy the ride! I will say that you will prob wanna start with the pressures down around 16-18 cold. Ride it some and see how you feel about the handling. It will be a ton quicker. I prefer to have lighter more sensitive steering and have been running at 20 cold for some time now.

Chuck

Spyder Garage

Enjoy the ride! I will say that you will prob wanna start with the pressures down around 16-18 cold. Ride it some and see how you feel about the handling. It will be a ton quicker. I prefer to have lighter more sensitive steering and have been running at 20 cold for some time now.
    I currently run 18 cold now & probably will do the same in the new ones. I got the rear off today & hoping I can get it switched out tomorrow & back on. I’m going to see if I can get the formoza locally, if not I will order from amazon. Are you running sealant? I’m debating on running the stuff from lamonster. I probably shouldn’t of said anything cuz it’s going to start a whole other debate....Ding! Round 2

Spyder Garage

Default It's all about justification....

#1.- since Spyders only weigh about 1/4 as much as cars do ... using car tires that are designed to hold up a car that weighs 4000 lbs at the same PSI is foolish, the tire will LOSE traction much sooner. This is a Fact not a Theory ...... #2.- and as far as the EVO's go ... the kids who like to slide their cars around - known as Drifting - well the tire they say is the best for doing that is the EVO..... which logically means the tire is NOT a high traction tire, because those people Want their cars to slide ....#3.- and the outside wear on your tires is do to bad Alignment not your riding style .............. Mike
    ..... by reading the comments, of peoples preaching for their formosa and evo tires, one that knows facts can easily sort out who knows what he is talking about. Comments like geometry and riding style says it all....

Richard

* 2012 RS SE5 (hers)
    * 2013 ST SM5 (mine)

Daughter RSS SE5 2014
    Son in law RSS SM5 2013

P.S. 3 Kumho AST 225/50R15 and 1 Toyo Proxies 4 225/50R15 rear tires
    2 sets of Kumho 175/55R15 front tires
    1 set of Hankook V4
    1 set of Canadian Tire General tire Evertrek RTX in 14" for the 2012 ...

Spyder Garage

Default Formoza

Hi there, I ride a 14' rts. I have used yokohamas s drive and what a wonderful tire. Now I use formoza on the front and back using the same size as the stock tires. Great great tire for wet or dry or hot days. I ride two up alot and it handles wonderfully, even at 85 mph.

Spyder Garage

Mike, how do you deal with always being right!
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

I currently run 18 cold now & probably will do the same in the new ones. I got the rear off today & hoping I can get it switched out tomorrow & back on. I’m going to see if I can get the formoza locally, if not I will order from amazon. Are you running sealant? I’m debating on running the stuff from lamonster. I probably shouldn’t of said anything cuz it’s going to start a whole other debate....Ding! Round 2

I am not running sealant. I hate having "goop" in my tires/wheels/valve stems. I have the Lamonster air pump and carry an emergency plug kit. What tire are you going to use on the rear out of curiosity?

Chuck

Spyder Garage

I am not running sealant. I hate having "goop" in my tires/wheels/valve stems. I have the Lamonster air pump and carry an emergency plug kit. What tire are you going to use on the rear out of curiosity?
    Kumho Ecsta. I like staying with the same size even though other sizes are really close in specs. It’s actually getting mounted & balanced as I type. I ran the “goop” in all my atv’s, just because of the nature they ran in. I’ll carry a plug kit & I also have AAA if needed. No one had the formoza locally so I just ordered them on amazon, should be here Thursday.

Spyder Garage

Default LOOK MA, NO HANDS!

So I installed the ferderal formoza’s on the front & the Kuhmo Ecsta on the rear & boy what a difference. I did have the fronts road forced balanced & 1 took only .75oz & 1.0oz on the other. I also installed the wheel balancers from lamonster on all 3. The front end is a night & day difference for the better. I thought it steered like on rails after installing the Baja Ron sway bar but now it’s like an Indy car on rails. The front end is light & nimble and the handlebars & fenders are smooth as butter. I’m off next weekend to get it “squared away” even though it feels like I don’t need it, but I’m still going to have it checked. I went for about a 50 mile ride around town & on the freeway and handling was great. I can’t express how happy I am with these tires. I’m running 18 psi cold for those who are going to ask. Now the rear tire is a difference story.

The rear tire is the same size as factory & I was running 28 psi cold but after first test dropped it down to 25. I have a huge loss of traction. Just barely taking off from a stop if I give it too much throttle I can hear the rear tire chirping. Going around corners it drifts like a mofo, which is fun as hell but can definitely tell it might be a problem when traction is needed. Might be getting some rain next weekend & if I get stuck in it I will report back on wet conditions for both front & rear tires. I am not to happy with the rear so far, maybe the drop in psi may fix that, we will have to wait & see.

Spyder Garage

The rear tire is the same size as factory & I was running 28 psi cold but after first test dropped it down to 25. I have a huge loss of traction. Just barely taking off from a stop if I give it too much throttle I can hear the rear tire chirping. Going around corners it drifts like a mofo, which is fun as hell but can definitely tell it might be a problem when traction is needed. Might be getting some rain next weekend & if I get stuck in it I will report back on wet conditions for both front & rear tires. I am not to happy with the rear so far, maybe the drop in psi may fix that, we will have to wait & see.
    I'm running 16 in my Kuhmo AST and it is doing much better in the grip dept. Can still spin it up but it is still much better than the Kenda. I'm still searching for a more preformance oriented tire but as you know the choices are non-existent in a 225/50. Debating on whether or not a 215/60 in a performance line will overcome the reduction in tread width. ....

Chuck

Spyder Garage

Default WIDTH DIFFERENCE

I'm running 16 in my Kuhmo AST and it is doing much better in the grip dept. Can still spin it up but it is still much better than the Kenda. I'm still searching for a more preformance oriented tire but as you know the choices are non-existent in a 225/50. Debating on whether or not a 215/60 in a performance line will overcome the reduction in tread width. ....
    There are four tires with much better traction ( wet & dry ) that I can speak for .... An Altimax , a Pirelli, & two Michelin's ..... 10mm is about 3/8 th of an inch .......on a Hayabusa this could make a difference ....... on a Spyder, I wouldn't have any concerns especially in turning traction ...... jmho ... Mike ......PS check my thread on the new Defender model .......

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yes, I already have those & tried those. After a little bit of mix up (I removed all the weight then installed balancers, come to find out you’re supposed to leave the weight on) I had the wheels rebalanced & it seems to be worse than before. I’m going with new tires just because I’ve heard so many bad thing about the Kendra’s, thinking they may be the problem & because new tires are only about $100. I’m hoping this does the trick.
    I have tried tires,balanced them several times. And believe the wheels are the problem. I finally found a place that balanced my wheels with a road force balancer and fixed the problem.
    I was amazed how many tire places do not balance a wheel correctly even noticed this on my car tires too.

Also tried the centratic balancers and didn't work well, then found out to leave the weights on but never went back to try the centramatic balancers yet.
    Last edited by trikermutha; 02-25-2018 at 07:27 AM.

Spyder Garage

I am going to drop the front to 15 & the rear to 20 and go for another test run.

To the guy who made the comment that it might be in the wheels, could be correct. Before they mounted my tires they spun the wheels by them self to check them. They both needed the exact same weight before & after mounting the tire. Coincidence? Perhaps. What I don’t know if the weight was called for in the same spot before & after. Also when mounting the Formosa’s on the front wheels they had a hell of a time setting the bead, meaning it was really tight fit on the wheel. I know it probably has something to do with the “car tire” on a motorcycle wheel, so I don’t want to hear it. Also good to know that may help from pushing off the bead due to running to low air pressure, 4x4 & dune guys know what I mean.