Hybrid View

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JS3535 View Post
    I currently run 18 cold now & probably will do the same in the new ones. I got the rear off today & hoping I can get it switched out tomorrow & back on. I’m going to see if I can get the formoza locally, if not I will order from amazon. Are you running sealant? I’m debating on running the stuff from lamonster. I probably shouldn’t of said anything cuz it’s going to start a whole other debate....Ding! Round 2

I am not running sealant. I hate having "goop" in my tires/wheels/valve stems. I have the Lamonster air pump and carry an emergency plug kit. What tire are you going to use on the rear out of curiosity?

'15 F3-S Pure Magnesium Metallic - Mad Max Edition
    '15 Mclaren 650S Coupe - Aurora Blue

"You Were Really Flyin', When I Passed You Back There!"

Chuck
    2015 F3-S , Pure Magnesium Metallic/Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by hypurone View Post

I am not running sealant. I hate having "goop" in my tires/wheels/valve stems. I have the Lamonster air pump and carry an emergency plug kit. What tire are you going to use on the rear out of curiosity?
    Kumho Ecsta. I like staying with the same size even though other sizes are really close in specs. It’s actually getting mounted & balanced as I type. I ran the “goop” in all my atv’s, just because of the nature they ran in. I’ll carry a plug kit & I also have AAA if needed. No one had the formoza locally so I just ordered them on amazon, should be here Thursday.
    2015 F3S-T , Black Black & Black

Spyder Garage

Default LOOK MA, NO HANDS!

So I installed the ferderal formoza’s on the front & the Kuhmo Ecsta on the rear & boy what a difference. I did have the fronts road forced balanced & 1 took only .75oz & 1.0oz on the other. I also installed the wheel balancers from lamonster on all 3. The front end is a night & day difference for the better. I thought it steered like on rails after installing the Baja Ron sway bar but now it’s like an Indy car on rails. The front end is light & nimble and the handlebars & fenders are smooth as butter. I’m off next weekend to get it “squared away” even though it feels like I don’t need it, but I’m still going to have it checked. I went for about a 50 mile ride around town & on the freeway and handling was great. I can’t express how happy I am with these tires. I’m running 18 psi cold for those who are going to ask. Now the rear tire is a difference story.

The rear tire is the same size as factory & I was running 28 psi cold but after first test dropped it down to 25. I have a huge loss of traction. Just barely taking off from a stop if I give it too much throttle I can hear the rear tire chirping. Going around corners it drifts like a mofo, which is fun as hell but can definitely tell it might be a problem when traction is needed. Might be getting some rain next weekend & if I get stuck in it I will report back on wet conditions for both front & rear tires. I am not to happy with the rear so far, maybe the drop in psi may fix that, we will have to wait & see.

Spyder Garage

The rear tire is the same size as factory & I was running 28 psi cold but after first test dropped it down to 25. I have a huge loss of traction. Just barely taking off from a stop if I give it too much throttle I can hear the rear tire chirping. Going around corners it drifts like a mofo, which is fun as hell but can definitely tell it might be a problem when traction is needed. Might be getting some rain next weekend & if I get stuck in it I will report back on wet conditions for both front & rear tires. I am not to happy with the rear so far, maybe the drop in psi may fix that, we will have to wait & see.
    I'm running 16 in my Kuhmo AST and it is doing much better in the grip dept. Can still spin it up but it is still much better than the Kenda. I'm still searching for a more preformance oriented tire but as you know the choices are non-existent in a 225/50. Debating on whether or not a 215/60 in a performance line will overcome the reduction in tread width. ....

'15 F3-S Pure Magnesium Metallic - Mad Max Edition
    '15 Mclaren 650S Coupe - Aurora Blue

"You Were Really Flyin', When I Passed You Back There!"

Chuck
    2015 F3-S , Pure Magnesium Metallic/Steel Black Metallic

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default WIDTH DIFFERENCE

I'm running 16 in my Kuhmo AST and it is doing much better in the grip dept. Can still spin it up but it is still much better than the Kenda. I'm still searching for a more preformance oriented tire but as you know the choices are non-existent in a 225/50. Debating on whether or not a 215/60 in a performance line will overcome the reduction in tread width. ....
    There are four tires with much better traction ( wet & dry ) that I can speak for .... An Altimax , a Pirelli, & two Michelin's ..... 10mm is about 3/8 th of an inch .......on a Hayabusa this could make a difference ....... on a Spyder, I wouldn't have any concerns especially in turning traction ...... jmho ... Mike ......PS check my thread on the new Defender model .......

Spyder Garage

I am going to drop the front to 15 & the rear to 20 and go for another test run.

To the guy who made the comment that it might be in the wheels, could be correct. Before they mounted my tires they spun the wheels by them self to check them. They both needed the exact same weight before & after mounting the tire. Coincidence? Perhaps. What I don’t know if the weight was called for in the same spot before & after. Also when mounting the Formosa’s on the front wheels they had a hell of a time setting the bead, meaning it was really tight fit on the wheel. I know it probably has something to do with the “car tire” on a motorcycle wheel, so I don’t want to hear it. Also good to know that may help from pushing off the bead due to running to low air pressure, 4x4 & dune guys know what I mean.

Spyder Garage

Default tire issues

I am going to drop the front to 15 & the rear to 20 and go for another test run.

To the guy who made the comment that it might be in the wheels, could be correct. Before they mounted my tires they spun the wheels by them self to check them. They both needed the exact same weight before & after mounting the tire. Coincidence? Perhaps. What I don’t know if the weight was called for in the same spot before & after. Also when mounting the Formosa’s on the front wheels they had a hell of a time setting the bead, meaning it was really tight fit on the wheel. I know it probably has something to do with the “car tire” on a motorcycle wheel, so I don’t want to hear it. Also good to know that may help from pushing off the bead due to running to low air pressure, 4x4 & dune guys know what I mean.
    Imbalance in wheels is caused by the same thing as in tires .... somewhere on the object you are checking the balance for, has more material, hence more weight. I'm reasonably sure the weight was put in the same place when the tire was re-checked for balance, unless the tire it-self was badly out of Balance ....... It has been proven ( on this forum ) that the BRP wheels are 99 % identical to the ones made for cars ......... I've had many, many tires put on BRP wheels and never had a Mounting issue ..... As far as " pushing off the bead " well I accidently ran my Michelin rear tire at 8lbs for about 15 miles mostly on a dirt road, and it was only slightly " squirrelly " at the slower speed I was driving at ..... when I looked at it, it didn't look Bad, only less than normal ( Michelin's have much stiffer sidewalls than Kenda's ) but it didn't break the Bead seal, because if that occurred it would have gone flat immediately....... Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 02-25-2018 at 01:04 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Imbalance in wheels is caused by the same thing as in tires .... somewhere on the object you are checking the balance for, has more material, hence more weight. I'm reasonably sure the weight was put in the same place when the tire was re-checked for balance, unless the tire it-self was badly out of Balance ....... It has been proven ( on this forum ) that the BRP wheels are 99 % identical to the ones made for cars ......... I've had many, many tires put on BRP wheels and never had a Mounting issue ..... As far as " pushing off the bead " well I accidently ran my Michelin rear tire at 8lbs for about 15 miles mostly on a dirt road, and it was only slightly " squirrelly " at the slower speed I was driving at ..... when I looked at it, it didn't look Bad, only less than normal ( Michelin's have much stiffer sidewalls than Kenda's ) but it didn't break the Bead seal, because if that occurred it would have gone flat immediately....... Mike
    The bead ramp area behind the seat is different on different style BRP and PPA wheels. We have never had an ounce of trouble mounting tires on the spoke rims or the blades. Now the shamrock wheels...those are a major PIA to get tires on and beads to seat. Its the shape of the ramp, not the tire. We have learned for those wheels to be extra careful with the mounting lube and it takes a bit more pressure to get them to seat. Some PPA wheels are a bit more trouble too but not as bad as the Shamrocks.

Its all in the interior shape of the wheel and how the ramp guides (or does not) the tire bead to the rim seat.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I mounted the Formozas myself and had no issues. Did they put the wheel in the correct way be fore installing the tire? Low side of the wheel.

Well anyway good luck..

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trikermutha View Post
    I mounted the Formozas myself and had no issues. Did they put the wheel in the correct way be fore installing the tire? Low side of the wheel.

Well anyway good luck..
    Wheel the correct way? Low side of the wheel? Please explain.

The tire went on the wheel fine, just when applying air pressure to set the bead is when there was a problem. They really had to soap them up to get it to “pop” on. Make sense?

Spyder Garage

Car tire on a Motorcycle wheel ….really …. ……..... Mike