Spyder Garage

Default Replace headlight bulbs with LED?

2017 RT Limited. The stock headlight bulbs are just to weak and would like to replace with LED. Appears they are standard automotive HB3 9005 bulbs. Has anyone replaced just the bulbs? Anything to be aware of with this replacement?

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default LED BULBS

Quote Originally Posted by viiiball View Post
    2017 RT Limited. The stock headlight bulbs are just to weak and would like to replace with LED. Appears they are standard automotive HB3 9005 bulbs. Has anyone replaced just the bulbs? Anything to be aware of with this replacement?
    You will REALLY be impressed with the amount of light you will have with the LED's ..... I've done a few swaps and the only caution I would offer is you will need at least a 6in. extension to reach some of the i0mm bolts on the lamp units. and be very careful not to lose any bolts ....I usually put some paper tape into the socket so it's tighter .......good luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

i got my LED from lamonster garage there great get the kit that includes the fog lights also.

Spyder Garage

A friend replaced the halogens on his 2016 Ltd with LEDs from Tricled and they give a lot brighter light. As Mike said, the top center 10mm headed bolts need a socket and extension. SpyderAnn recommends to to tape the head of the bolt to the socket with a small piece of painter's tape. When you have tightened the bolt and remove the socket the tape will remain on the socket. Works like a charm.

Do be aware if you change your headlights to LEDs you will have white headlights and yellowish foglights. Changing those foglights, friend also changed his to Tricleds, is a frunk removal as it is virtually impossible to change the left light because of interference from the air intake.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

I did both Head and Fog lights from TricLED, worth every penny, I've rode cycles for 40+ years and never had better light at night.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DGoebel View Post
    I did both Head and Fog lights from TricLED, worth every penny, I've rode cycles for 40+ years and never had better light at night.
    So did I, and
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The OEM wiring harness and circuitry is designed for the halogen bulbs. LED kits supplied by Lamonster and TricLED have a) finned bulb holder to dissipate heat and b) an inline black box with circuitry for the LED 'bulbs'.

If you just replace the halogen bulbs with an equivalent LED bulb, you may not have the heat dissipation capability or LED circuitry needed for the bulb to work properly in the OEM harness, even if it physically fits the connector.

There has to be a reason kits cost so much more than just a bare LED replacement bulb....
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default LED KITS

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    The OEM wiring harness and circuitry is designed for the halogen bulbs. LED kits supplied by Lamonster and TricLED have a) finned bulb holder to dissipate heat and b) an inline black box with circuitry for the LED 'bulbs'.

If you just replace the halogen bulbs with an equivalent LED bulb, you may not have the heat dissipation capability or LED circuitry needed for the bulb to work properly in the OEM harness, even if it physically fits the connector.

There has to be a reason kits cost so much more than just a bare LED replacement bulb....
    , #1.- there is LESS power draw using LED bulbs, so the OEM wiring harness has LESS of a load to carry ........... #2.- I don't know what LED KIT you are referring to - the kits don't have any extra wiring both TricLED & LaMonster are selling you LED BULB re-placements. The difference between the two Vendors kits are LaMonsters has an EXTERNAL Ballast....... I did have some concerns about HEAT dissipation so I drilled some holes in the covers .........that was quite awhile ago and I haven't had any water issues ....... Mike

Spyder Garage

Default Xenon Extreme LED lights

I did both the headlamps and fog lamps with Xenon Extreme LED kits last year. Easy DIY installation and a vast improvement on seeing and being seen.
    2020 RTL - Petrol Blue Metalic / Black, dark model.
    Colour match rear tail cover, Garmin GPS.
    Heated Ultra Comfort driver seat & backrest.
    LED headlamps, LED Front corner lamps and lower front LED lamp.
    Baja Ron sway bar.
    Ride Til You Rot!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You stand a MUCH greater risk of melting something with a brighter halogen bulb; than you ever would with these cooler, lower power-drawing LEDs.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Like others have said, I replaced both the headlights and foglights with the Lamonster kit on my 2014 RTS.
    Now all the lights match the same color as the white fender tips.
    Some people feel the need to remove the frunk to get to the left foglight.
    I did not. The right foglight is very easy. Turn the handlebars to increase clearance on the appropriate side.
    On the left, the cover and old lightbulb come out quite easily.
    The new LED bulb goes in without too much trouble.
    Pay close attention when you first remove the cover. Re-installing it with the frunk in place can be tedious and difficult, but eminently doable.
    Just use plenty of patience, and lubricate the cover with an abundant amount of cuss words.
    The remarkable Galina is teaching me some new ones in Russian that are quite effective.
    Edit: Out with Galina, in with Susan.
    Last edited by ThreeWheels; 10-15-2018 at 06:10 AM.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

I got really excited in December when I was installing TricLED headlights on a customer’s RT, the bolts on the headlight were actually magnetized. Don’t remember if it was s 16 or 17 but I haven’t come across another one with magnetized bolts since. I take a piece of painters tape and basically tape the bolt to the socket. Works like a charm.

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

At the bottom of the page on this web link is a really nice chart explaining the differences between bulbs and their outputs.

http://www.xenondepot.com/9005-automotive-bulbs-s/1023.htm
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    A friend replaced the halogens on his 2016 Ltd with LEDs from Tricled and they give a lot brighter light. As Mike said, the top center 10mm headed bolts need a socket and extension. SpyderAnn recommends to to tape the head of the bolt to the socket with a small piece of painter's tape. When you have tightened the bolt and remove the socket the tape will remain on the socket. Works like a charm.

Do be aware if you change your headlights to LEDs you will have white headlights and yellowish foglights. Changing those foglights, friend also changed his to Tricleds, is a frunk removal as it is virtually impossible to change the left light because of interference from the air intake.
    I replaced both the headlights and the foglights on my '15 RTL. You are right about using matching color temp bulbs. But, removal of the frunk is NOT required. It is not much fun, but it can be done. I removed the upper clamp from my air intake tubing and this made it somewhat easier. Expect to leave some skin behind. But again, it can be done. Trust me, your life will be easier if you remember to reconnect the air intake duct and clamp before you finish putting all the body panels back on.
    2020 RT Limited , Marsala Red

Spyder Garage

Default LED Replacement

I have a 2012 Can Am Spyder RT-SE5. It came with the standard halogen light bulbs, but I replaced them with LED bulbs. Made a world of difference.

Spyder Garage

Just did the Tricled headlight and fog replacements.FYI on the headlights-on my 18 rtlt there are 3 tabs at the back of the bulb mount that coincide with the under tabs that lock the bulb in place BUT these stick straight up.On my install these tabs stuck up into the cooling fins of the bulb and made it impossible to turn bulb to seat it.Once the problem was observed it was easy enough to bend the tabs out of the way and bulb turned easily to seated position.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by woods View Post
    Just did the Tricled headlight and fog replacements.FYI on the headlights-on my 18 rtlt there are 3 tabs at the back of the bulb mount that coincide with the under tabs that lock the bulb in place BUT these stick straight up.On my install these tabs stuck up into the cooling fins of the bulb and made it impossible to turn bulb to seat it.Once the problem was observed it was easy enough to bend the tabs out of the way and bulb turned easily to seated position.
    Just had to replace the LED bulbs on mine since one of the LED bulbs installed in the spring went bad already. Tricled has changed models so replacing both was necessary. Could not figure out why the bulb would not engage until I noticed this issue also. A pair of needle-nosed pliers did the trick, although I did try to bend them back up a little to help retain the bulb.

Spyder Garage

Tried to contact them Thurs or Fri by phone and e-mail just to give em a heads up but no response yet.Like I said tho,once you figure out what's happening it's easy fix!Glad to know it wasn't just me!