Spyder Garage

Default Broken Sreering lock, episode 2

End of August last year I reported a broken steering lock due to attemped theft of my RT. I went to a dealer who had a ingnition switch assembly over from a swapout just to look at it , looking at it there was no way the actual lock itself would break it's so strong. I decided to investigate, all that had happened is, looking at the first picture of the top steering support, the lock pushes a pin out on one side or the other of the square block at the top, the pin only protrudes about 5mm to jam against the side of the block, the pin had scored a groove across the top of the block, photo 2. As there is plenty of room I Drilled and tapped the block and screwed an aluminium U shaped plate across the block, photo3. This works very well and should the same thing happen again, just replace the plate.

New steering support 80 dollars, 2 days work. My method less than 1 dollar 2 hours work. NO CONTEST

DSC00886.jpg DSC00876.jpg DSC00885.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files
    2014 RT Std
    Floor and Highway Boards
    50$ GPS connected to oem loom
    Trunk & Frunk Liners and lights
    Frunk and dashboard power outlets
    Front supension LEDS
    Cup holders
    Glovebox light
    Turn signal LEDs in mirrors
    12 volt coffee maker
    Passenger hangrip muffs
    Ignition lock light
    Windscreen wiper/ baguette holder

If I wasn't so cleverI wouldn't need to be so good looking.
    2014 RT , Black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by agedbikeman View Post
    End of August last year I reported a broken steering lock due to attemped theft of my RT. I went to a dealer who had a ingnition switch assembly over from a swapout just to look at it , looking at it there was no way the actual lock itself would break it's so strong. I decided to investigate, all that had happened is, looking at the first picture of the top steering support, the lock pushes a pin out on one side or the other of the square block at the top, the pin only protrudes about 5mm to jam against the side of the block, the pin had scored a groove across the top of the block, photo 2. As there is plenty of room I Drilled and tapped the block and screwed an aluminium U shaped plate across the block, photo3. This works very well and should the same thing happen again, just replace the plate.

New steering support 80 dollars, 2 days work. My method less than 1 dollar 2 hours work. NO CONTEST

DSC00886.jpg DSC00876.jpg DSC00885.jpg
    .......... DIYer's ROCK ..............Mike

Spyder Garage

Default Congrats....

Always nice to take a look and find a solution saving you some big bucks. . we now live in a world (more like country) of replace not repair. Much of the test equipment have two lights....good...replace.... glad your in the minority and looked for options and I grew up where we had no options...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Thanks for posting a solution. DIY

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default BrokenSteering Locck 2

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    Always nice to take a look and find a solution saving you some big bucks. . we now live in a world (more like country) of replace not repair. Much of the test equipment have two lights....good...replace.... glad your in the minority and looked for options and I grew up where we had no options...
    I also grew up in a world where replacement was only the last resort, make do and mend was the norm
    2014 RT Std
    Floor and Highway Boards
    50$ GPS connected to oem loom
    Trunk & Frunk Liners and lights
    Frunk and dashboard power outlets
    Front supension LEDS
    Cup holders
    Glovebox light
    Turn signal LEDs in mirrors
    12 volt coffee maker
    Passenger hangrip muffs
    Ignition lock light
    Windscreen wiper/ baguette holder

If I wasn't so cleverI wouldn't need to be so good looking.
    2014 RT , Black