Spyder Garage

Default Up date on oil catch can 08 GS

Finally got the catch can installed and operational. The hose no longer returns to the air box. So once the hose leaves the catch can it is vented to the air. Took a 100 ride to try it out. I really noticed the bike running better than it ever has. Got to thinking the computer is always adjusting fuel based on air temp. Removing the hot air that was coming from the engine could help settle down the computer. I know the engine crank case vent air temp changes all the time with air cooling the oil cooler and also when the fan kicks in to cool the engine down. In all well pleased with the catch can. It was a little bigger than I had though it would be. Being I don't carry a lot of stuff in the trunk I mounted it there. Easy to monitor the sight glass on the amount it catches and also easy to drain it when needed. I feel better knowing the the burnt off condensation from inside the engine is going into the catch can and not the throttle body and also the chance of once you stop the engine of it draining back into the engine.
    David
    Last edited by Warlock; 02-16-2018 at 05:05 PM.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default issues

Quote Originally Posted by Warlock View Post
    Finally got the catch can installed and operational. The hose no longer returns to the air box. So once the hose leaves the catch can it is vented to the air. Took a 100 ride to try it out. I really noticed the bike running better than it ever has. Got to thinking the computer is always adjusting fuel based on air temp. Removing the hot air that was coming from the engine could help settle down the computer. I know the engine crank case vent air temp changes all the time with air cooling the oil cooler and also when the fan kicks in to cool the engine down. In all well pleased with the catch can. It was a little bigger than I had though it would be. Being I don't carry a lot of stuff in the trunk I mounted it there. Easy to monitor the sight glass on the amount it catches and also easy to drain it when needed. I feel better knowing the the burnt off condensation from inside the engine is going into the catch can and not the throttle body and also the chance of once you stop the engine of it draining back into the engine.
    David
    David back in the beginning of my GS owner-ship, I trimmed off some of the Air Snorkel by the water reservoir ..... I then put a short length of Alum. flexible tube ( like for clothes driers ) .... I then attached the front end to the front Air intake ( no fog lite ) .... this allowed the engine to get ONLY ambient temp air for the engine ......if interested I can send you pics to your phone # ....... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    David back in the beginning of my GS owner-ship, I trimmed off some of the Air Snorkel by the water reservoir ..... I then put a short length of Alum. flexible tube ( like for clothes driers ) .... I then attached the front end to the front Air intake ( no fog lite ) .... this allowed the engine to get ONLY ambient temp air for the engine ......if interested I can send you pics to your phone # ....... Mike
    I shorten my top snorkel by the anti freeze reservoir. I have put me my own version of fog lights in so that path is gone. I've removed all the plastic bottom trays to help with the heat and also a fan can. I have always had a little hiccup every now and then when riding in slow traffic or thru town. Today not even a bobble. Ran like a dream. Almost like the air sensor was pleased with the removable of the crank case relief to the air box. I may remove the catch all together, but just monitoring the amount of blow by and what it looks like verses letting it go back into my engine. All my Goldwings, Valkyries had a drain plug to empty the crankcase reservoir. It would collect in the air box, but would collect it to be drained off. We use to call it dragon drool. Nasty looking stuff. Mine seems to run cooler than all my buddies. But it could just be the gauge. Got to really test out the brackets today on some nice curves. The bike handled great. Could run them faster with the new brackets and bike seems planted better and more stabil.
    David

Spyder Garage

Default Issues

Quote Originally Posted by Warlock View Post
    I shorten my top snorkel by the anti freeze reservoir. I have put me my own version of fog lights in so that path is gone. I've removed all the plastic bottom trays to help with the heat and also a fan can. I have always had a little hiccup every now and then when riding in slow traffic or thru town. Today not even a bobble. Ran like a dream. Almost like the air sensor was pleased with the removable of the crank case relief to the air box. I may remove the catch all together, but just monitoring the amount of blow by and what it looks like verses letting it go back into my engine. All my Goldwings, Valkyries had a drain plug to empty the crankcase reservoir. It would collect in the air box, but would collect it to be drained off. We use to call it dragon drool. Nasty looking stuff. Mine seems to run cooler than all my buddies. But it could just be the gauge. Got to really test out the brackets today on some nice curves. The bike handled great. Could run them faster with the new brackets and bike seems planted better and more stabil.
    David
    Well that alum. dryer tube is very shapeable, and it will hold the bends you make. Where BRP has the air intake is right over the engine, so the air temp has to be quite high ......just sayin ...... very glad to hear you are enjoying the brackets ....... Mike

Spyder Garage

Trying to find this catch can and see pics about the install. I don’t find it Baja Ron’s site. Maybe I’m looking in the wrong place. Also, I would love to see the pics you did on the mod to the air intake. Being new to Spyders I want to make it as good as possible. I would appreciate any assistance. My phone is 972-351-3212.

Gary/Stogeylink

Spyder Garage

Default new album ......titled " Cold Air-for air box ducting on a GS / RS "

Quote Originally Posted by Stogeylink View Post
    Trying to find this catch can and see pics about the install. I don’t find it Baja Ron’s site. Maybe I’m looking in the wrong place. Also, I would love to see the pics you did on the mod to the air intake. Being new to Spyders I want to make it as good as possible. I would appreciate any assistance. My phone is 972-351-3212.

Gary/Stogeylink
    Because of many requests I just created ( well Chupaca did ) .. an Album with pics and an explaination ( if you click on the pic - the words are at the bottom ...... Enjoy ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Gary/Stogeylink
    This is a picture of what my crankcase vent filter looks like (though not my Spyder). It's not a true 'Catch Can' as there is no maintenance required. No separate can or assembly and no draining necessary. This system simply allows the crankcase to vent as needed while returning any oil back to the crankcase.

I don't even get any residue, much less liquid oil in my air box anymore.

The components are readily available at just about any auto parts store. If you would like more info let me know.

Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Because of many requests I just created ( well Chupaca did ) .. an Album with pics and an explaination ( if you click on the pic - the words are at the bottom ...... Enjoy ..... Mike
    Thank you sir!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    This is a picture of what my crankcase vent filter looks like (though not my Spyder). It's not a true 'Catch Can' as there is no maintenance required. No separate can or assembly and no draining necessary. This system simply allows the crankcase to vent as needed while returning any oil back to the crankcase.

I don't even get any residue, much less liquid oil in my air box anymore.

The components are readily available at just about any auto parts store. If you would like more info let me know.

That would be great! Thank you for the picture. I’m more of a visual person. If you have a parts list and some type of desc on the how-to, I would greatly appreciate it. This site already made me love this bike more. All of the interaction between members and the welcoming to new Spyder owners has made this my go to. Thanks again!

Spyder Garage

Default BajaRon's Crankcase Vent Fix (Oil in the Air Box)

That would be great! Thank you for the picture. I’m more of a visual person. If you have a parts list and some type of desc on the how-to, I would greatly appreciate it. This site already made me love this bike more. All of the interaction between members and the welcoming to new Spyder owners has made this my go to. Thanks again!
    First, you need a glass canister fuel filter. These come in various configurations. Some come with the tubing nipples molded in. Others come with the nipples separate (they screw in). I actually prefer the separate nipples because there isn't a lot of distance to the stock air box and I simply put the hose on over the hex portion of the filter end and clamped them there. Works great.

The ends unscrew so you can access the interior screen. You want to remove the fuel filter element and replace it with a chunk of this;

UNI Bulk, Coarse, Open Cell Foam Air Filter Sheet

If you email or PM me. I will send you a chunk of this so you don't have to purchase a full sheet. Or, you can find this on the Internet or at most off road motorcycle/ATV shops. The one I use is 3/8" thick. That works very well in this setup. You want to pretty much fill the cavity with this foam. But the foam needs to be just enough to fill the cavity. You DO NOT want to compress the foam, which will defeat the purpose of the foam. Leave about 1/4" of free space at the top of the filter glass.

There isn't a lot of room between the stock air box and the crank case vent port. This filter takes up most of the room. You will need very short hose connections between each end of the filter and their respective connections. The picture provided of this setup is with the JT custom air box which gives you more room to work with.

You will also need 2 small hose clamps for each end of the filter. These come in several versions. Most any will do.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

This keeps oil from getting in the airbox?

I noticed when I did my plugs and air filter that my air box had a decent coating on oil on the inside. This would solve that issue?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Rodriguez View Post
    This keeps oil from getting in the airbox?

I noticed when I did my plugs and air filter that my air box had a decent coating on oil on the inside. This would solve that issue?
    It's worked for thousands of hard miles on my Spyder. I've not had anyone try this that was not happy with it (to my knowledge). Little money, easy mod. And you don't lose any oil.

Spyder Garage

First, you need a glass canister fuel filter. These come in various configurations. Some come with the tubing nipples molded in. Others come with the nipples separate (they screw in). I actually prefer the separate nipples because there isn't a lot of distance to the stock air box and I simply put the hose on over the hex portion of the filter end and clamped them there. Works great.

The ends unscrew so you can access the interior screen. You want to remove the fuel filter element and replace it with a chunk of this;

UNI Bulk, Coarse, Open Cell Foam Air Filter Sheet

If you email or PM me. I will send you a chunk of this so you don't have to purchase a full sheet. Or, you can find this on the Internet or at most off road motorcycle/ATV shops. The one I use is 3/8" thick. That works very well in this setup. You want to pretty much fill the cavity with this foam. But the foam needs to be just enough to fill the cavity. You DO NOT want to compress the foam, which will defeat the purpose of the foam. Leave about 1/4" of free space at the top of the filter glass.

There isn't a lot of room between the stock air box and the crank case vent port. This filter takes up most of the room. You will need very short hose connections between each end of the filter and their respective connections. The picture provided of this setup is with the JT custom air box which gives you more room to work with.

You will also need 2 small hose clamps for each end of the filter. These come in several versions. Most any will do.

Thank you so much!! Greatly appreciated.

Spyder Garage

Default Holy Crap!

Thank you so much!! Greatly appreciated.
    Holy Crap...I was sweaty and tired by the time I got the filter in and attached using the non-nippled fuel filter and the stock airbox. I struggled and fought getting the hoses to seat on the hex-head of the filter due in part to the short hose lengths. What a butt whipping. However, it is done and solid and I am hoping to God I don't have to ever take it off and put it back. If so, will probably go with a different air filter kit and connection. Got the notification that my Rivco floorboards will arrive on Tuesday and I also did the Cannisterctomy, which took care of the strong gas smell I was having on my rides. Still debating on the next "farkle" to add....decisions, decisions.

Thank you all so much for the awesome support provided by this forum. I am new to spyders but have been riding for most of my life. Started at 12 and I'm 61 now. This site and forum(s) have given me more insight into the workings and idiosyncrasies of the bike than any other forum I have seen. Looking forward to this new adventure with my new, new to me, freedom machine!

Stogeylink/Gary

Spyder Garage

Holy Crap...I was sweaty and tired by the time I got the filter in and attached using the non-nippled fuel filter and the stock airbox. I struggled and fought getting the hoses to seat on the hex-head of the filter due in part to the short hose lengths. What a butt whipping. However, it is done and solid and I am hoping to God I don't have to ever take it off and put it back. If so, will probably go with a different air filter kit and connection. Got the notification that my Rivco floorboards will arrive on Tuesday and I also did the Cannisterctomy, which took care of the strong gas smell I was having on my rides. Still debating on the next "farkle" to add....decisions, decisions.

Thank you all so much for the awesome support provided by this forum. I am new to spyders but have been riding for most of my life. Started at 12 and I'm 61 now. This site and forum(s) have given me more insight into the workings and idiosyncrasies of the bike than any other forum I have seen. Looking forward to this new adventure with my new, new to me, freedom machine!

Stogeylink/Gary
    Yes, short hose length room. Some have ground off the hex portion making it round which can also help. Sorry it was such a bear for you.

Spyder Garage

Yes, short hose length room. Some have ground off the hex portion making it round which can also help. Sorry it was such a bear for you.
    No worries sir. I actually had fun even though it was a whipping. Made me think and got me out from in front of the tube. Allowed me to use my tools and wits (whats left) to accomplish something. Thanks so much for all of your insight on this. I really do appreciate it. If you are ever around the DFW area, I owe you a cold amber liquid for sure!!

Stogey

Spyder Garage

No worries sir. I actually had fun even though it was a whipping. Made me think and got me out from in front of the tube. Allowed me to use my tools and wits (whats left) to accomplish something. Thanks so much for all of your insight on this. I really do appreciate it. If you are ever around the DFW area, I owe you a cold amber liquid for sure!!

Stogey
    Knowing that you will probably not need to touch it again should soften the injuries!

Did you look at the air cleaner when you did this?

Spyder Garage

Knowing that you will probably not need to touch it again should soften the injuries!

Did you look at the air cleaner when you did this?
    I didn't because my wife had the paperwork (She bought it as a birthday present) to show that they had just completed oil/filter change and air filter change just before selling. I just received my new floorboards in the mail yesterday so the installation will begin this afternoon after work. Once I have them in place, my next project is the brake pedal extension. I think this is starting to be like a bug. Once you're bitten, you can't get over it. Oh well....hang on for the ride and just enjoy.

Spyder Garage

Ready to do this, thanks BajaRon.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SNOOPY View Post
    Ready to do this, thanks BajaRon.
    I think you will like it. It's cheap, easy to do, maintenance free and works great! Actually looks pretty cool too. But you can't see it with the panels on. A shame really.