Spyder Garage

Default First nyte ryde and second impression...

In another post, I had mentioned a slight coolant leak in my new ryde, 2016 ST-S.
    I was only able (willing?) to take off the mid-panel, and though I think I resolved by tightening one worm clamp, I decided to take it back to the dealer and let them look at the rest of things.
    It was 60 in NJ yesterday, so I hit the road after work, 5:30ish, knowing I'd have a 30-40 minute ride at dusk...with the wife following in the cage.
    Keeping in mind I've only had the bike for a month, only ridden it twice, and I can't remember the last time I rode at night, I was pretty darn nervous/anxious but...ya gotta do what ya gotta, so...
    By the time I arrived at the dealer, it was full-on dark, and I was pretty beat...just the post-adrenaline of the evening, the concentration and new-ness of it all.

I am hugely impressed with the power at throttle roll-on and throughout the range! Trying to be conscious of letting the rpm's run up to 4500+ before upshifting, and even up around 6k.
    Question...when slowing down, do folks manually downshift to avoid "lugging" on the way back up, or just let the SE do its thing?

I am very happy I had the foglights added...they filled in the road quite nicely.

Fumbled a bit finding the turn signal switch in the dark, but that will come with time and practice and just getting used to things.

The mirrors are a bit of a downer...I'm short, seems my fingertips and elbows are kind of "right there"...and they don't adjust any further down/out...I'm thinking the Wide-Vu's will help.

Left thumb was a bit cramp-y holding it on the +shifter...I had noticed this on my earlier rides...hmm...on my cruiser, the issue was in the right thumb around the throttle grip.

All in all, a very good ride...and I was darned pleased with the experience.
    Raprider (Rich)

2016 Can-Am Spyder ST-S SE5 Steel Black Metallic (Blackbird)
    BRP Audio, Heated Grips, Fog Lights, Passenger Backrest, Givi Saddlebags/Top Case
    BajaRon Swaybar, TricLed Wide-Vu Mirrors, Lamonster Ram mount and X-grip, Sena 20S Evo Dual
    TricLed Sequential Front SpyderFenderz, Dual Color Run/Brake/Turn LEDs, Brake Flasher
    Kumho Ecsta AST installed on rear 4/2021

1996 Yamaha Virago 750 (Vera) - still riding
    1987 Honda Shadow 500 (Shady) - sold
    1982 Honda Rebel 250 (Little Reb) - sold

2016 ST-S , Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

Default good for you

your fellow jerseyan here--glad you are getting out on it finally--weather has been milder but still unpleaseant--my trike should be finally in tomsriver within the next 15 days i hope!!

Spyder Garage

When it comes to your question about changing down, Raprider, just bear in mind that your ST SE5 with the V-twin motor has an SE5 semi-auto gearbox, NOT an automatic; and as such the gear box is actually identical to the MANUAL box only with the addition of solenoid activated flappy paddle shift control and a centrifugal clutch that has a fail-safe down shift over-ride for those times that you might forget to change down sooner - basically so you don't destroy the clutch with revs too low or the high gears by over-loading them with torque while travelling too slow.... The 1330's with SE6's also have a semi-auto MANUAL gearbox with flappy paddle shifting, but they have an electro/hydraulic clutch that is engaged by oil pressure so it can handle more torque, which means the safety over-ride down-change isn't as frequently called into play or quite obvious unless you rely on it all the time....

Me, I change up & down thru the MANUAL gearbox gears on my SE5 just like I do on any other bike with a manual gearbox only better (cos the computer hasn't missed or stuffed up a change yet!) but seriously, just ryde it however you feel like ryding it, the Nanny will look after the odd mistake.... Most of the time, anyway - sadly, she can't protect you from your own or other's stupidity... yet!

So just Ryde More, Worry Less, & you'll get along fine!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Default Congrats....

You did well and survived the journey... it all becomes easier with time and good weather...And night ryding is SOOO much better in good weather....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Petrom714 View Post
    your fellow jerseyan here--glad you are getting out on it finally--weather has been milder but still unpleaseant--my trike should be finally in tomsriver within the next 15 days i hope!!
    Petrom...
    Forecasting 70+ next week...Looking forward to finding a mid-point between us for a meet-n-greet!
    Raprider (Rich)

BRP Audio, Heated Grips, Fog Lights, Passenger Backrest, Givi Saddlebags/Top Case
    BajaRon Swaybar, TricLed Wide-Vu Mirrors, Lamonster Ram mount and X-grip, Sena 20S Evo Dual
    TricLed Sequential Front SpyderFenderz, Dual Color Run/Brake/Turn LEDs, Brake Flasher

Spyder Garage

Default Gearbox

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    When it comes to your question about changing down, Raprider, just bear in mind that your ST SE5 with the V-twin motor has an SE5 semi-auto gearbox, NOT an automatic; and as such the gear box is actually identical to the MANUAL box only with the addition of solenoid activated flappy paddle shift control and a centrifugal clutch that has a fail-safe down shift over-ride for those times that you might forget to change down sooner - basically so you don't destroy the clutch with revs too low or the high gears by over-loading them with torque while travelling too slow.... The 1330's with SE6's also have a semi-auto MANUAL gearbox with flappy paddle shifting, but they have an electro/hydraulic clutch that is engaged by oil pressure so it can handle more torque, which means the safety over-ride down-change isn't as frequently called into play or quite obvious unless you rely on it all the time....

Me, I change up & down thru the MANUAL gearbox gears on my SE5 just like I do on any other bike with a manual gearbox only better (cos the computer hasn't missed or stuffed up a change yet!) but seriously, just ryde it however you feel like ryding it, the Nanny will look after the odd mistake.... Most of the time, anyway - sadly, she can't protect you from your own or other's stupidity... yet!

So just Ryde More, Worry Less, & you'll get along fine!
    Thanks for the explanation, Peter! This helps alot ...and as I've been trying to learn to adapt to the paddle shift, I have been manually flipping up and down to stay in desired rpm range.
    Raprider (Rich)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    You did well and survived the journey... it all becomes easier with time and good weather...And night ryding is SOOO much better in good weather....
    Thanks, Chupaca!
    Raprider (Rich)

Spyder Garage

Default Wide Vue mirrors +1

Raprider, RE: the mirrors, having tried the little wallyworld stick on convex mirrors(not optimal at all) I got the WideVue mirrors from TricLED and so so much better. Has definitely eased some neck pains on long rides since I'm not blind spot swiveling so much. The enhanced view is exceptional. Though I have an RT, I'm sure Reggie and Cindy get you the view you need on an ST as well.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

full time RV'er on the road. Well we were. Now, 6 months in ThreeRivers Mi and 6 months in Apache
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Raprider View Post
    Thanks for the explanation, Peter! This helps alot ...and as I've been trying to learn to adapt to the paddle shift, I have been manually flipping up and down to stay in desired rpm range.
    You already have the right idea. Though everyone does it a little different, your manual shifting to just keep it in the gear you want to be in is your best bet. Don't get paranoid in trying to be perfect. Soon you will just be shifting based on what your ears tell you and you will be enjoying the ryde