Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Front Tires

Spyder Garage

Default Front Tires

Just ​bought the Hankook Ventus V4 ES H105 All-Season Tire - 175/55R15 77T hope its better then the federal I did not like those tires.

Spyder Garage

Default RT Front Tires

Quote Originally Posted by lewisalice View Post
    Just ​bought the Hankook Ventus V4 ES H105 All-Season Tire - 175/55R15 77T hope its better then the federal I did not like those tires.
    I have the same ones and LOVE them.

Make sure you get a laser alignment done though
    2022 RT Limited , Silver w/ Black and Purple accents

Spyder Garage

Default 24,000

i mounted mine on April 11, 2016 and now have 24,000 miles of smiles on them and they still look great....
    they also handle far superior to the OEM KENDA's....
    i figure i still have no less than 30,000 miles of wear left on mine...
    keep your PSI up and you can't go wrong.... i set mine at 18PSI.....
    good luck, and ride safely....
    Dan P
    SPYD3R
    20160411_150313 (1).jpg 20160411_150121.jpg 20160411_154943.jpg
    Last edited by SPYD3R; 02-22-2018 at 04:11 PM.

Spyder Garage

I bought them also

Spyder Garage

Default NEW TIRES

I just got my Yokohama S Drives. I have to do some slight fender adjustments to make them fit but I heard I won't be disappointed.20180221_160739.jpg

Spyder Garage

Default Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan12 View Post
    I just got my Yokohama S Drives. I have to do some slight fender adjustments to make them fit but I heard I won't be disappointed.20180221_160739.jpg

Ryan, prior to altering your fenders, have the tires mounted and see if you can get them to fit under the fenders... i have the 175's, and i still have plenty of room... the 185's aren't that much wider, so i'm thinking you'll be OK...
    let us all know the out-come... i may go to the 185's if you don't need to make alterations....
    good luck...
    Dan P
    SPYD3R

Spyder Garage

Default Tires

Quote Originally Posted by SPYD3R View Post
    Ryan, prior to altering your fenders, have the tires mounted and see if you can get them to fit under the fenders... i have the 175's, and i still have plenty of room... the 185's aren't that much wider, so i'm thinking you'll be OK...
    let us all know the out-come... i may go to the 185's if you don't need to make alterations....
    good luck...
    Dan P
    SPYD3R

I will get some before and after pics and let the spyder world know.

Spyder Garage

Default Front tires

Well guys and gals I got the (185 Yokohama S Drive) tires mounted at my favorite tire shop and they couldn't balance them due to their machine spindle is too big. Then I went to local cycle shop and they couldn't balance due to their machine spindle is too small. Does this story sound familiar? So I had to drive way out on west side of town to the Dealer where their machine is just right. So $17 later I had balanced tires.

Anyway went home and right away I put 1 on and the tire don't spin. It rides the front fender bracket. so, I will have to shim about 1/8" and possibly get longer bolts. BUT, and there is always a but, 1 of the darn (I'm being nice here) bolts I twisted the head off. Now I have an excuse to go to Harbor Freight to get more tools. AKA easy outs. So in the mean time I have my good ole buddy (WD-40) on the job trying to penetrate the threads. Tire1.jpgTire2.jpg
    Last edited by Ryan12; 03-02-2018 at 01:59 AM. Reason: Added info.

Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

i picked up vredstein and will be installing in april. the vredstein is good in light snow. woo hoo

Spyder Garage

Default YIKES..!

Well guys and gals I got the (185 Yokohama S Drive) tires mounted at my favorite tire shop and they couldn't balance them due to their machine spindle is too big. Then I went to local cycle shop and they couldn't balance due to their machine spindle is too small. Does this story sound familiar? So I had to drive way out on west side of town to the Dealer where their machine is just right. So $17 later I had balanced tires.

Anyway went home and right away I put 1 on and the tire don't spin. It rides the front fender bracket. so, I will have to shim about 1/8" and possibly get longer bolts. BUT, and there is always a but, 1 of the darn (I'm being nice here) bolts I twisted the head off. Now I have an excuse to go to Harbor Freight to get more tools. AKA easy outs. So in the mean time I have my good ole buddy (WD-40) on the job trying to penetrate the threads. Tire1.jpgTire2.jpg
    YIKES.....! ! !
    sorry to hear this Ryan.... but your efforts are good info for the rest of us here on SL....
    i guess the 175's are at the MAX of what we can install...
    thanx for letting us know...
    Dan P
    SPYD3R

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default WELLLLLLL NOW THAT YOU MENTION IT

Quote Originally Posted by SPYD3R View Post
    YIKES.....! ! !
    sorry to hear this Ryan.... but your efforts are good info for the rest of us here on SL....
    i guess the 175's are at the MAX of what we can install...
    thanx for letting us know...
    Dan P
    SPYD3R
    I have reported this a dozen or more times .... On my 2014RT with the basic fenders I successfully mounted 185/55-15 Toyo Proxes T1r tires .... and yes I did shim the fender brackets about 3/16th in...... and in answer to the poster above , the bolts were plenty long enough, I used the OEM bolts ....... Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 03-02-2018 at 09:28 AM.

Spyder Garage

Without shimming, I think the 175/55R15 is max for the front. When I put mine on they looked BIG and pretty much fill up the wheel area. I was concerned about rubbing the fender bolts which, generously intrude into the wheel area. Before installing the new tires, I pulled each fender bolt and snipped a 1/4 inch off each one with a bolt cutter. No shims, no rubbing
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Default still not finished

OK the fender saga remains. There was about 1/4 " of bolt that was sticking out so I thought hey a vicegrip will bite on it and I can get the bolt out. NOT... It wont grip enough. Then hey I'll get my grinder and grind a slit in the bolt and use my flat blade screwdriver to twist it out. NOT... It broke 1 side off. After saying a few choice words I ground it flush to the brkt and drilled a hole in it. Then went to hardware store and got the easy out. Here we go this thing is coming out this time. NOT... The darn easy out broke off in the hole. I then burned up 4 drill bits trying to drill out the easy out and finally had to go back to store to get more drill bits and a 4 pack of easy outs. Now my hole is off center and trying another easy out this thing wont budge. I finally raised the white flag and I decided to just drill and tap the hole for a new bolt. So right now I have a drilled hole but I still have to go back to hardware store to get a tap set. OMG I didn't know a 5 min job could take 10 hrs.

For some reason the lower bolts rust badly. The upper bolts were fine and still silver color.

Spyder Garage

OK the fender saga remains. There was about 1/4 " of bolt that was sticking out so I thought hey a vicegrip will bite on it and I can get the bolt out. NOT... It wont grip enough. Then hey I'll get my grinder and grind a slit in the bolt and use my flat blade screwdriver to twist it out. NOT... It broke 1 side off. After saying a few choice words I ground it flush to the brkt and drilled a hole in it. Then went to hardware store and got the easy out. Here we go this thing is coming out this time. NOT... The darn easy out broke off in the hole. I then burned up 4 drill bits trying to drill out the easy out and finally had to go back to store to get more drill bits and a 4 pack of easy outs. Now my hole is off center and trying another easy out this thing wont budge. I finally raised the white flag and I decided to just drill and tap the hole for a new bolt. So right now I have a drilled hole but I still have to go back to hardware store to get a tap set. OMG I didn't know a 5 min job could take 10 hrs.

For some reason the lower bolts rust badly. The upper bolts were fine and still silver color.
    That sucks. Good luck!
    2015 RT Limited: Fox Shocks - RonJon swaybar and links - BRP Comfort Seat - BRP Triaxis handlebars - Yokohama tires (26psi fronts 28psi back) - Centramatic wheel balancers - BRP belt tensioner - BRP Short windshield - CATdelete/Spyder1 attitude exhaust - Lamonster footpegs - sintered brake pads - LED TRYCLED lights - BumpSkid

2015 RT Limited , black

Spyder Garage

Default finally done

I finally got my tires on today. My last post I was to drill and tap the hole for the fender. A good friend of mine picked up a metric tap & die set and it said to drill a 17/64 hole for the tap I needed. Went back to hardware store and got 2 drill bits just in case. Went home and low and behold step drilled up to the 17/64 hole and guess what? YUP the darn 17/64 bit snapped in the hole. Luckily it came out fairly easy. Went back with 1/4 bit again to get burrs out and was even more careful than before I finally got the hole up to 17/64 hole size for the tap. Slowly tapped hole and wala DONE. I put my shims in and new metric bolt along with blue Loctite and I am ready to roll for a test ride in the morning.

Tire5.jpg
    Last edited by Ryan12; 03-04-2018 at 12:44 AM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by lewisalice View Post
    Just wondering where those Federal Evo, and why didn't you like them?
    I'm looking at purchasing new front tires and I've narrowed it to the Ventus V4 ES, and the federal Evo, the federals are about $30 cheaper but that wouldn't be a deal-breaker for me, Handling is much more important!!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JIM W View Post
    I'm looking at purchasing new front tires and I've narrowed it to the Ventus V4 ES, and the federal Evo, the federals are about $30 cheaper but that wouldn't be a deal-breaker for me, Handling is much more important!!!
    I recently purchased and installed the Federals and love them. Remember, everyone has a choice. Thats my 2 cents worth anyhow.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by R30SHIRE View Post
    I recently purchased and installed the Federals and love them. Remember, everyone has a choice. Thats my 2 cents worth anyhow.
    hi how are you with the federal?

Spyder Garage

Default Excellent front tire

This is not a common tire found on this site but has excellent performance numbers ....Vredestein Quatrac 5 .....in 175/55-15 it also comes in 155/60-15 which might be a better size if you have the new style fenders ........Mike

Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

We have EVO's on both bykes F3 Daytona and RT and love them. Very good handling.

Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    This is not a common tire found on this site but has excellent performance numbers ....Vredestein Quatrac 5 .....in 175/55-15 it also comes in 155/60-15 which might be a better size if you have the new style fenders ........Mike
    those are the ones i have and will be installing on my in april

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Thanks for your response Mike, I'm leaning towards the Evo s, I feel a directional Tire will have better performance but I'm no expert so I'm probably wrong!

Spyder Garage

Default Directional tires

Thanks for your response Mike, I'm leaning towards the Evo s, I feel a directional Tire will have better performance but I'm no expert so I'm probably wrong!
    A few years back when the Auto tires started to become popular on the Forum, people were asking if Directional tires were important and it piqued my interest. So I did a bunch of reading on it, to find out for myself ... What I learned was the difference was " Infintesimal ", and only under certain circumstances which could occur on a four wheeled vehicle ..... So based on that I always look for tires with better performance ratings. The only advantage was the ability to rotate your tires..... It has been proven that this practice is a waste of time and money because you aren't fixing the wear problem from a BAD alignment which is what causes premature wear in the first place......... And there isn't a real - " right or wrong " here .... it's more a Better - Best - Exceptional thing ...... all round tires will work, un-fortunately some manufacture's have an unusually high number of defective tires ............. good luck ..... Mike

Very Active Member Bam Bam and Pebbles's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I am enjoying the heck out of my Evo’s.

Current Ride
    2015 RT-S SM6 Cocaine
    Pearl White
    Diamond R Web Armrests
    Shorty Windshield

Previous Ride
    2012 RT SM5 The Beast
    Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

Default New Tyres

OK I test rode my Spyder with the new 185 S Drives and it seems to be really lite or too easy to move (at highway speeds). I don't feel any steering resistance. It tracks really well almost too good. I wasn't expecting that. Maybe after a Laser alignment it will be different. Im just reporting my findings. I haven't tested them on any twisty roads yet. Ill probably do that at Spyderfest 2018...