Spyder Garage

Default 2018 Dark edition of the RT-- question..

I have noticed the 2018 dark edition of the RT Ltd has tinted headlight covers... I am waiting for the snow to melt up here in MN to finally get my new (2017 RT-S) from the dealer.. I really like those tinted covers on the 2018... just wondering if they will be an accessory item to buy..if they are the same size... of course knowing how recreational items are way, way overpriced.. and how things sometimes don't fit older models..

Rick.
    2018 RT-LTD , BLUE

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default TINTED COVERS

Quote Originally Posted by rhallanger View Post
    I have noticed the 2018 dark edition of the RT Ltd has tinted headlight covers... I am waiting for the snow to melt up here in MN to finally get my new (2017 RT-S) from the dealer.. I really like those tinted covers on the 2018... just wondering if they will be an accessory item to buy..if they are the same size... of course knowing how recreational items are way, way overpriced.. and how things sometimes don't fit older models..

Rick.
    I think the outer lens is either glued or some how sealed to the headlight unit , But if not they sell darkening films and special paint that you could try it with..... However there will be some loss of light if done ..... Think about getting LED bulb's if you do this ..... good luck ...do Pics ...... Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 02-15-2018 at 10:46 AM.

Spyder Garage

If they fit, it will be some time before available. They want to sell the new 2018's--not parts to update previous models.

The countdown is also on here to get some riding in.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default TINTED COVERS

Quote Originally Posted by Joel The Biker View Post
    Sorry guys. They are not covers. The lens is clear. The inside is painted black instead of chrome. There is only 2 ways to get this look. Spend the $1400 for the headlights and foglights(I already priced them) OR disassemble your lights and paint the inside black. Very do-able. Youtube will show how its done and I am actually considering doing it if I can get the ambition to remove the frunk to get to the foglights.
    ..... Could you post the U-tube link .................Thanks .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Welcome Rick, already farkeling and the snows not melted! Welcome to your first Spyder PMS season........
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The 10th Anniversary bikes also have this styling feature, and they look WAYYYY... cool!
    And it doesn't affect the light output of the bulbs a bit!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I see a great business opportunity for a vendor to offer updating the older ones on an exchange basis. I actually considered it but between real work and my spyder shop, there is just not time to take on another venture.

The process is not all that hard. Remove the lamps and wiring. Bake in a low temp oven to soften the glue. Separate the lens cover. Tape off and paint the non reflector areas gloss black. Apply new adhesive and put the lense back on.

If I had an RT, I would likely be doing this on my own bike. On an F3 its not really applicable as the whole housing is a reflector for the most part.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I don't know . . . I do think the outside lenses are slightly tinted as the fender lights are slightly darker and even though the headlight/fog lights are all black inside they still seem slightly darker. Haven't had a chance to ride at night yet.

I've seen cars with window tinting on head/tail lights, so maybe a tint shop?

This is what the front of my '18 looks like.
    lJsQlmq%TGq07BAi0l+iJw.jpg
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Oh well, I guess it takes all kinds.
    Half of us are trying to hang aircraft search lights and flashing led strips on our Spyders.
    The other half of us are blacking stuff out like a stealth fighter.

I'm not suggesting one is right and the other is wrong. I'm just remarking that to me, they seem like polar opposites.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

For 1800 CDN. You can replace the headlights and fog lights with BRP’s tinted version!
    Happy Owner

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Joel The Biker View Post
    I assure you the lens are clear and not tinted. Your fender lights are not tinted either. They are the same part number as previous years. 710004033. The mind can play tricks on you.

Any tint you see in the real world, is applied by aftermarket. Even the new dodge chargers look like the headlights are tinted, but the lens is clear. Blacked out headlights only work with projectors because the reflector is just for looks. Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards do not allow tinted headlight lens.
    Thanks for pointing this out.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Got a couple of pictures of my fender and comparing to another fender makes my lights look very tinted.

dBi4EvowSE+Ag1kvWk7e9A.jpg T2Xrh0PWSJ2ZIQ43Nss8Kg.jpg
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Default answers to the dark edition I found...

Well after sending an email to BRP.. about the darkened covers... and they said to check with the dealer, I went over today and saw one on display.. and found out you replace the whole unit... $325 each.. will be satisfied with what I have.. I gotta say the snow is slowly going and watching what is happening out east.. I am hoping we continue to melt!

Rick
    2018 RT-LTD , BLUE

Spyder Garage
    Spyder RT LTD 2018 SE6 ASPHALT GREY METALLIC - DARK EDITION( Wife)
    Spyder F3T 2016 LTD Black Special Édition
    French Spyder Forum
    SpyderTeam Rive-Sud MTL

Facebook
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/spyderteam/
    Twitter
    https://twitter.com/SpyderTeam_ca

Spyder Garage

Just wondering if any has tried it yet?
    I'm really considering giving it a go but if something were to go wrong that would be a costly mistake!
    I have noticed some post on this subject have been already taken down!! Wonder why that is?

Spyder Garage

Is there any chance that the lens is clear and the chrome reflectors of the older lights have been black chromed on the newer ones? That way the Federal Law is upheld as the lens is still actually clear?
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DGoebel View Post
    Is there any chance that the lens is clear and the chrome reflectors of the older lights have been black chromed on the newer ones? That way the Federal Law is upheld as the lens is still actually clear?
    That's pretty much exactly how it is instead of chrome it's a satin black inside of the clear lens they just look smoked!

Spyder Garage

I take it nobody's tried it yet, my only concern is the magnetic Flappers inside the headlights taking the heat of the oven!