Spyder Garage

Default Cooling fans not coming on.

2015 F3s Hot Rod Cruiser. My cooling fans quit working. Checked the 30 amp fuse and it is OK. Any suggestions? It is not overheating, just higher temp than normal with out the fans kicking in.

Spyder Garage

Hmmm, gotta be the temp sending unit for the fans. Better have your dealer check it ASAP. Cuz you know it only takes one time to really F things up! And sometimes that one time comes in a heartbeat!

'15 F3-S Pure Magnesium Metallic - Mad Max Edition
    '15 Mclaren 650S Coupe - Aurora Blue

"You Were Really Flyin', When I Passed You Back There!"

Chuck
    2015 F3-S , Pure Magnesium Metallic/Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

Default Little checking.....

Do you know when the fans did come on....? could it be the weather change but if you know when they kicked in and they are no longer doing that it would be the temp sensor and you should have it checked out. On my RS the fan does not kick in till it hit 5 bars which seems to be past the mid point....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

There is also a relay in the right hand fuse box that controls the fans. Sorry but I can't copy and paste the service manual. If the relay is good you may have to have it hooked to BuDS to check the operation, it says if hooked to BUDS and you can activate the fan then it may be the Coolant Temperature Sensor.

Good luck.

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    Do you know when the fans did come on....? could it be the weather change but if you know when they kicked in and they are no longer doing that it would be the temp sensor and you should have it checked out. On my RS the fan does not kick in till it hit 5 bars which seems to be past the mid point....
    Fans do not come on at all now. Before at about 4-5 bars. The weather in Florida is still hot so I am guessing you may be correct with the sensor being bad. You would think there would be a code active for that. No codes are active. ( thanks for your quick response)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    There is also a relay in the right hand fuse box that controls the fans. Sorry but I can't copy and paste the service manual. If the relay is good you may have to have it hooked to BuDS to check the operation, it says if hooked to BUDS and you can activate the fan then it may be the Coolant Temperature Sensor.

Good luck.
    I suppose there is no way to test the relay. I did notice it in the fuse box. No active codes right now. At least it has not overheated.

Spyder Garage

Default maybe a way !

Quote Originally Posted by fantabstic View Post
    I suppose there is no way to test the relay. I did notice it in the fuse box. No active codes right now. At least it has not overheated.
    if you could put an ohm meter in line with your fans , when the temp gauge hits 4 or 5 bars , you would see the volt meter register something ? { just an idea }

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by youngers View Post
    if you could put an ohm meter in line with your fans , when the temp gauge hits 4 or 5 bars , you would see the volt meter register something ? { just an idea }
    For just a second maybe.
    An "ohm meter" is not for use on an active circuit; that is, one with voltage on it.

But yes, you could check the voltage going to the fans......or lack of voltage......to try and sectionalize the problem.

I think the first thing I would suggest is checking the wiring and connectors going to the fans.

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    For just a second maybe.
    An "ohm meter" is not for use on an active circuit; that is, one with voltage on it.

But yes, you could check the voltage going to the fans......or lack of voltage......to try and sectionalize the problem.

I think the first thing I would suggest is checking the wiring and connectors going to the fans.
    That test can be done with BUDS but that would require a trip to the dealer.

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Joel The Biker View Post
    I doubt the temp sensor is bad. They just never go bad. The relay is most likely the problem. Easy to test. Switch it with another identical relay in the fuse box(maybe a headlight relay) and try again or try the item that you put the suspected bad relay in.
    Thanks for the advice. I switched the rely with the lights on the right fuse box and there was no change. Obviously the relays are not the problem as are the fuses not it. I just hate to go to the dealer but it looks inevitable.