Spyder Garage

Default F3T BRP Heated Grip

Me and my wife installed the BRP Heated grip on my F3T today. too a LOOONG time.. like 6 hrs.. geez. Anyway. the light on the switch stays on when its running . doesnt matter if you press it or not. Light stays on and goes away when turning off the engine. it is supposed to do that?

Spyder Garage

Default always ON...

Hi,

You are right, pretty long job, but worth it when it's cold

The light is acting like you said. Even the fog light switch is doing so.

It's like BRP thought we need that light to know where the switch is and that we will only have to look if the switch is 1mm lower or not to know if it's ON or OFF.

Kind of annoying...
    X-Grip Ram Mount Phone Holder, Lamonster Fog and driving lights, BRP Heated grip, Home made rear rack + Shad SH58X top case, BRP belt tensioner
    2016 F3T , Red

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MagYukon View Post
    Hi,
    It's like BRP thought we need that light to know where the switch is and that we will only have to look if the switch is 1mm lower or not to know if it's ON or OFF.

Kind of annoying...
    I guess I am getting kind of old and need the extra help. I really like the fact that it is lit. That way I can find it when it is dark and cold outside. But to answer the question, yes, it is always lit. And now you confirm that I did the right thing by having them installed on my F3T before delivery. I think they only charged me around $75 to install them.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by blacklightning View Post
    I guess I am getting kind of old and need the extra help. I really like the fact that it is lit. That way I can find it when it is dark and cold outside. But to answer the question, yes, it is always lit. And now you confirm that I did the right thing by having them installed on my F3T before delivery. I think they only charged me around $75 to install them.
    That's a good price! I was charged $175, but they did toss in the grips for free - so no complaining from me
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PW2013STL View Post
    That's a good price! I was charged $175, but they did toss in the grips for free - so no complaining from me
    That was a good price. But did you have those intalled on another bike? I see you have a RT version. I thought they all came with heated grips from the factory.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by blacklightning View Post
    That was a good price. But did you have those intalled on another bike? I see you have a RT version. I thought they all came with heated grips from the factory.
    Last month I purchased a 2015 F3 sm6 with 23,000 miles on it. I had the dealer add the heated grips.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dmartin View Post
    Me and my wife installed the BRP Heated grip on my F3T today. too a LOOONG time.. like 6 hrs.. geez. Anyway. the light on the switch stays on when its running . doesnt matter if you press it or not. Light stays on and goes away when turning off the engine. it is supposed to do that?
    Why so long? Directions (if you want to call them that ) say 1.5 hours, took 4 times as long? What issues did you run into?
    Current: "Scarlett", 2017 Can Am F3-T, SE6, Intense Red Pearl.
    BRP heated grips, DIY brake light strip and turn signal strips, Chrome/LED brake light tag frame, SpyderPops bumpskid, Baja Ron swaybar and billet links, Lamonster Third Peg, BRP Adjustable Passenger Backrest, SpyderPops Missing Belt Guard, ShowChrome oversize brake pedal, TricLED foglights.

Previous: "Synthia", 2014 Can Am Spyder RT, SM6, Pearl White.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by robtdonna View Post
    Why so long? Directions (if you want to call them that ) say 1.5 hours, took 4 times as long? What issues did you run into?
    The insructions that came with it were awful. Ended up removing all the plastic and the top piece by the steering column. It was no fun at all..

Spyder Garage

The insructions that came with it were awful. Ended up removing all the plastic and the top piece by the steering column. It was no fun at all..
    Yeah, just received mine, knew directions suck, but that's an understatement. I've had the tupperware off before, thinking that should make it easier. *hope run eternal*
    Current: "Scarlett", 2017 Can Am F3-T, SE6, Intense Red Pearl.
    BRP heated grips, DIY brake light strip and turn signal strips, Chrome/LED brake light tag frame, SpyderPops bumpskid, Baja Ron swaybar and billet links, Lamonster Third Peg, BRP Adjustable Passenger Backrest, SpyderPops Missing Belt Guard, ShowChrome oversize brake pedal, TricLED foglights.

Previous: "Synthia", 2014 Can Am Spyder RT, SM6, Pearl White.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by robtdonna View Post
    I had the dealer install mine. They quoted 3 hours (and that's what they charged me), but it was the first time the tech had done the install, at least on an F3-S. I think it took him well over 6 hours, as it wasn't finished at the end of the first day of work. It made me nervous about the dealer's service department, but everything they've done has worked as promised.
    2017 F3-S
    2010 Honda Element

Harley map

Spyder map

Spyder Garage

Took me 5 hours too.

Marilyn 2015 RTS SE6 Red
    John 2015 F3S SE6 Silver

previous:
    2011 RT SM5 Silver
    2013 STS SM5 Silver

"common sense will prevail....but we see no sign of that"

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by nhoj View Post
    Took me 5 hours too.

Also how hot are they supposed to get. I mean they are warm But not as much I thought they would get..

Spyder Garage

I know the RT had High and Low and the F3 is supposed to be about midway between the 2 settings? After ALL the reports of Installation Problems I just Hook up my Warm and Safe glove liners through the back auxillary Port and they are More comfortable than the Heated Grips I had on my RT BUT They are wired?

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

Also how hot are they supposed to get. I mean they are warm But not as much I thought they would get..
    Hot! Seriously, they're as warm as I'd expected, and I've actually had to turn them off when the day was not frigid as my hands got too hot.

One thing that I found out was that they work better with lighter winter gloves. The first time I used them (coming home from the dealer after the install), I had on heavy HD gauntlet gloves. My palms were warm but my fingers still got cold. I switched to lighter, more flexible winter gloves, and all was well. My whole hand stays warm.
    2017 F3-S
    2010 Honda Element

Harley map

Spyder map

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge707 View Post
    I know the RT had High and Low and the F3 is supposed to be about midway between the 2 settings?...
    Yes they are a bit warmer than 'Low' on the RT's but not much. They are adequate for spring and fall up here in Canada but you will need good gloves for Nov & Dec if you ride then.
    Marilyn 2015 RTS SE6 Red
    John 2015 F3S SE6 Silver

previous:
    2011 RT SM5 Silver
    2013 STS SM5 Silver

"common sense will prevail....but we see no sign of that"

Spyder Garage

I will have to check now, my 2015 RT has the heated grips and seat and I think the light goes out when they are turned off. It has two levels only use high when it is real cold and I need to warm up. I just have to get the snow blower out of the way.

Spyder Garage

Default Panel removal

Is there a video or a link somewhere showing panel removal for the installation of the heated grips? We are probably gonna tackle the job this week but were told that the top panel was difficult to remove and easy to break.

Spyder Garage

Both the heated grip and the fog light buttons stay illuminated all the time. I find that annoying.. it would be nice to just glance and see if they are on or off rather than have to feel them... which is difficult to do with gloves on.

I've found the heated grips to be pretty worthless. The thing is, if you're wearing any decent gloves, you really have to grab the grips tight in order to feel the heat.. especially if you run grip puppies like I do.

When I bough my Firstgear heated gear I got the jacket liner, pants liner, sock liners and glove liners. The heated gear is AMAZING.

I'd save your money on the heated grips and go with heated gloves, liners, etc...

And yes.. they're a bit of a pain to install.

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

Default Grips not heating.

How long does it take for the grips to warm up once they are installed. Took it to the dealer yesterday and they were installed but they are not heating up. We let the bike run for several minutes after we got it home and they did not get warm at all. Thanks in advance.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by stevetoney View Post
    How long does it take for the grips to warm up once they are installed. Took it to the dealer yesterday and they were installed but they are not heating up. We let the bike run for several minutes after we got it home and they did not get warm at all. Thanks in advance.
    If you don't have any grip covers on and are bare-handed, you should feel the heat from them within a minute... two for sure....

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

They do take a fair bit of time to get warm, certainly not immediate.

Try taking it for a 15-20 minute ride with them on to make sure they aren't working before you take it back.
    | 2015 F3-S | Heated Grips | USB Ports | RAM X-Grip | RT Sway Bar | '2 Up' Rear Shock | SHAD Bag Kit | Oxford Aqua 50 Dry Bag | BRP Rider Backrest |

Girard OH (summer) Greenville SC (winter)
    Spyder Garage

I have detailed a method for making heated pants cheeply and >CLICK ME< heated grip wraps for under $20.

to see my 2016 F3-T and many how to's
    2016 F3-T SE6 Roadster , Extended brake pedal for which I drilled out the brake rod yolk to lower it and added spacers to lift it slightly Black/Grey

Spyder Garage

I found my problem. Dealer had the switch hooked up on the right side and it was supposed to be on the left. I moved it over and now they work.