Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heated Grips

Spyder Garage

Default Heated Grips

Has anyone installed the Heated Grips from BRP on their F3 yet? I am on the fence about them, as I am not sure how difficult they are to install..(kind of scary thinking about removing the hardware from the handlebars for someone of my limited ability)

I'll let the dealership do it if I Have too, but would prefer to do it myself.

Any experience / advice that can be offered would be greatly appreciated.

Spyder Garage

I'd like to know the same thing. For me, I need to know if the heated grips swap out with the current grips. I'm holding off installing my Lidlox handlebar end helmet locks and some grip buddies until I get the heated grips installed, or know I don't have to pull the existing grips off.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    - Carl

2017 Can Am F3-L (current ryde)
    2015 Can Am F3-S (previous ryde)
    2012 BMW K1600 (previous ride)
    2016 Can Am F3-T (wife's)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Aren't the bars on an F3 like regular motorcycle bars? If so it should be a fairly easy process.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Default Have the grips...love them.

Had the dealer install them. The handle bars are separate from the grips. When they swapped out the stock handlebar for me they simply removed each grip and put it on the new (short reach) handlebar.

Now, since I didn't install them myself, I can't speak to that, but I love the heated grips. They only have one setting, but it is appropriate (in an earlier thread I referred to them as about an 8 on the 10-point scale of my former grips on a different m/c.)

Hope this helps some...
    F3S Steel Black Metallic
    Former owner of '12 RT-S SE-5 and '09 GS SM5

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I just finished the heated grip installation. The left grip and the entire right grip with throttle-by-wire sender unit get replaced, and then run wires down to the prewired connectors inside the right side cover. On a scale of 1 to 10 (easy to hard), I'd put that exchange in the 5 - 7 range.

At the same time I changed out the handlebars for the #1-2 position bars (for us people with short arms), installed a J&M radio, modified a stock RT GPS mount to fit the lower bolts that hold the handle bar and few other things. It will be next week to post pictures. I've got a write-up, too, on changing out the stock ST handlebar for the stock RT handlebar.

Wayne
    pauly1 - SpyderDeb's 'wrench'
    2018 F3-T & 2015 F3-S Road Warrior Foundation Tribute customs
    IBA #48220 SS1000 BB1500
    2015 F3-S , OEM na Basic Black with Custom Wrap

Spyder Garage

Default Look forward to pics

Well I think I might give it a shot after I see your pictures! Looking forward to see what you've done!!

Quote Originally Posted by pauly1 View Post
    I just finished the heated grip installation. The left grip and the entire right grip with throttle-by-wire sender unit get replaced, and then run wires down to the prewired connectors inside the right side cover. On a scale of 1 to 10 (easy to hard), I'd put that exchange in the 5 - 7 range.

At the same time I changed out the handlebars for the #1-2 position bars (for us people with short arms), installed a J&M radio, modified a stock RT GPS mount to fit the lower bolts that hold the handle bar and few other things. It will be next week to post pictures. I've got a write-up, too, on changing out the stock ST handlebar for the stock RT handlebar.

Wayne

Spyder Garage

Default J & M Radio

Quote Originally Posted by pauly1 View Post

Wayne
    Hi, can you tell me what model radio you bought for the bike. I'm also thinking of putting one on My F3 but not sure what to get. A picture of what you have and what it looks like on the bike would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Louis

Spyder Garage

Default Instructions... if you can call them that.

Picked up the heated grips from the local dealer today and just finished reading the instructions for installation, and all I can say is wow, they shouldn't have even bothered putting them in the box.. It reads like an IKEA manual, vague pictures with NO explanation on what is required. I.E. shows a picture of the old handgrips with a picture of a garbage can, absolutely no info on how to get them off. On top of that it doesn't even tell you what panels need to be removed in order to access the wiring... Needless to say I'm very disappointed in this and may need to take it in. I will be pulling a bunch of panels first to see if I can sort this out.. fingers crossed.

Spyder Garage

I've installed two sets, not too bad. They work well

Spyder Garage

Default Vauge

Lamonster any tips you can offer?

I couldn't even tell what panels needed to be removed from the 1 picture shown (first picture) in the instruction manual (other than the right side panel). And it doesn't state how to remove the old hand grips, just that they are to be thrown out, absolutely nothing on how to remove the old ones. As well, the drawing of the wires on the right hand side where we're to snap the clip was really vague as well.

ANY help would be greatly appreciated! I promised myself when I upgraded from my RT to the F3 that I would be a more do-it-yourself kind of guy than taking it into the dealership all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    I've installed two sets, not too bad. They work well

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by llyrad View Post
    Lamonster any tips you can offer?

I couldn't even tell what panels needed to be removed from the 1 picture shown (first picture) in the instruction manual (other than the right side panel). And it doesn't state how to remove the old hand grips, just that they are to be thrown out, absolutely nothing on how to remove the old ones. As well, the drawing of the wires on the right hand side where we're to snap the clip was really vague as well.

ANY help would be greatly appreciated! I promised myself when I upgraded from my RT to the F3 that I would be a more do-it-yourself kind of guy than taking it into the dealership all the time.
    The hard part is finding the connectors, they are tucked up under the right panel. The grips have a set screw that you loosen. I should of took pics but we were in a rush to get ready for the show. Sorry

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

llyrad: how'd the installation go on your grips? Was the information I sent useful? If so, I can post here.

Wayne
    IBA #48220 SS1000 BB1500

Spyder Garage

Default Gave up..

Your info was very useful, and I was able to get all the panels off, but still couldn't find the cables that I needed. And after a few hours I gave up and put it all back together...

Taking it to the dealership on Monday

BTW how long would you say it took to install the grips from disasembly to reassembly after install? The shop here figures 3 hours, so was curious how long it took you to do it?

Spyder Garage

For those who have installed the heated handgrips, how much of the upper Tupperware and console has to be removed? Based on the first picture in the instructions, it looks like the upper shelf piece comes off, but the console and covering on top of the Spyder remain. Yet these parts do not show up in the second or subsequent pictures. What all needs to be removed?

Thanks!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1428891625.592068.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    - Carl

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Here's what I had sent to llyrad (working on a red F3):

I see you've been looking for answers for the install: my recommendation is to also buy a Shop Manual. I can't go into all of the details here and it will save you money in the long run. I got mine when I purchased the F3.

Body panels: remove the red upper side panels (both sides); the black cover at the point of the console; the upper black panels on either side of the console; the small black panels just below the steering column; loosen the console (6 screws). The shop manual tells how; I didn't look in the Owner's Manual.

Remove the Handgrips: remove screws from the control housing; on the throttle side there is one more screw that holds the throttle-by-wire assembly into the from right control housing; the left side has 4 small screws in to the side of the grip, 90 degrees apart; to release the wire harness from the handlebar you'll need to remove the split covers adjacent to the control housings on each side (note that at this point the handlebar stubs will pull loose from the handlebars and could fall and damage paint).

Wire bundles: again the shop manual will describe the bundles and their connection points. The connectors are under the right side black (not red as I had originally stated going from memory) side panel, about even with the fuel cap. They have protective covers that will need to be removed/discarded. Routing of the wires are critical to the safety of the rider. Observe what you remove and make sure nothing binds when reassembling.

I didn't take pictures during the process as I already had the shop manual for reference. Hope this helps.

Additionally, here's are pictures to help location the cables: please note that the connector ends will have a black cap over them from the factory - these must be removed to see the connector to place the heated grip connectors into them. The first shot is looking into the Right Side Access Cover (where you check the oil and brake fluid) and then a tighter shot where you can see the colored wired from the heated grips.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    IBA #48220 SS1000 BB1500

Spyder Garage

Pauly - thanks for the info. I do plan to download the shop manual this week. Getting the description of what panels need to be removed helps a lot. Looks like you have to get it to the configuration shown in the first picture of the installation instructions. That's what I needed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    - Carl

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Mine work well

I had mine installed and use them daily now that the morings are in the hi 30-low 40'

Has anyone installed the Heated Grips from BRP on their F3 yet? I am on the fence about them, as I am not sure how difficult they are to install..(kind of scary thinking about removing the hardware from the handlebars for someone of my limited ability)

I'll let the dealership do it if I Have too, but would prefer to do it myself.

Any experience / advice that can be offered would be greatly appreciated.

Spyder Garage

Default Heated Grips

My heated grips have been fitted by dealer. I will let you know my opinions of heated grips when my F3-S is delivered to me Friday. Not long now before she arrives and me posting pics of her for you.
    2019 F3-S Special Series , Liquid Titanium with orange frame

Spyder Garage

Default Non BRP

Has anyone installed non BRP heated grips? Compared to some of the universal fit aftermarket grips BRP comes in on the expensive side.
    Would a 7/8th size be correct if going aftermarket?

Spyder Garage

I test rode the F3 with the heated grips in January of this year. (Damn cold in Pennsylvania) Maybe it was the Gore-Tex gloves I had on but I was not impressed. I will stick with heated gloves. If you want to ride in the winter, heated gear beats grips.

Just my experience... your mileage may vary.

Spyder Garage

I have heated gloves but commonly get caught when it is just a bit chilly and I don't want to put my jacket liner and gloves on. I think I will put some on.

Spyder Garage

Default Heated Grips

Quote Originally Posted by Darren111 View Post
    My heated grips have been fitted by dealer. I will let you know my opinions of heated grips when my F3-S is delivered to me Friday. Not long now before she arrives and me posting pics of her for you.
    BRP heated grips impressed so far, yet to find out what they are like when I take Sandra on motorway this weekend.
    2015 F3-S in Magnesium with Can Am red frame
    Blue Ridge Windscreen
    Heated Grips
    Name of my F3-S - Sandra
    Xmas present to me and from myself on 6/11/2015 - 02/09/2018

2019 F3-S Special Series in Liquid Titanium with Orange frame
    Blue Ridge Windscreen
    Heated Grips
    Signature Light with switch to turn it off and on.
    Name of my F3-S - Pamela
    2019 F3-S Special Series , Liquid Titanium with orange frame

Spyder Garage

Default BRP Instructions

Picked up the heated grips from the local dealer today and just finished reading the instructions for installation, and all I can say is wow, they shouldn't have even bothered putting them in the box.. It reads like an IKEA manual, vague pictures with NO explanation on what is required. I.E. shows a picture of the old handgrips with a picture of a garbage can, absolutely no info on how to get them off. On top of that it doesn't even tell you what panels need to be removed in order to access the wiring... Needless to say I'm very disappointed in this and may need to take it in. I will be pulling a bunch of panels first to see if I can sort this out.. fingers crossed.
    I've installed a few options & I've come to believe the French Canadian's encrypt their directions--never saw any thing as bad--a photo--out of focus--with ambigious instructions. I'm sure the 2nd or 3rd install will be easier--but that's not the purpose of installation instructions.

PS: I wrote/assisted in writing technical manuals for the mainframe computer I/O devices--tape drives-disk drive's etc. The current BRP technical writers would be looking for another job at any of my previous places of employment.............
    Last edited by Wildrice; 11-19-2015 at 05:04 PM.
    2015 F3's , two 12 volt power outlets Orange & Black

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Buy the manual

Earlier accessories came with complete step by step instructions. Somewhere about 2013 BRP began presenting instructions that assumed that you were a trained tech and that you knew what to do step by step until you get to the specific part or accessory that you are adding. I don't know if this is simply because the techs didn't use them or they don't want the DIY person to have access to complete instructions and be able to do it themselves without paying their dealer. I would suggest that you buy a shop manual. It will empower you to do many repairs, upgrades, and services yourself. It has a wealth of useful information and will pay for itself in money saved.

Spyder Garage

Default Instructions for Spyder F3

I agree 110%. these instuctions are perfect for the guy doing the 2nd or 3rd installation. On a 1 to 10---I'll give 1.5 & that's being generous. 4 pics on where to cut a tie rap==wow & what's with the top 1st photo? I guess it's there to help find the Spyder
    Knowing what a trash can looks like was also very valuable.
    2015 F3's , two 12 volt power outlets Orange & Black