Spyder Garage

Default Oil leaking from shift linkage boot

On the bottom of the engine, right side, is the gear shift linkage which appears to be connected to the engine via a rubber boot which is held on by a black plastic tie. Every time I do an oil change, there is a drop of oil clinging to the bottom of the boot and some evidence of it collecting on the inside of the plastic cover. It isn't a large amount by any means, probably no more than 20-25 drops total over a 3,000 - 3,500 mile time period and has never ever leaked enough to collect on the garage floor.

I checked today thoroughly and found no evidence of any oil coming from anywhere above the boot. Wondering if I should ignore it, or remove the plastic tie and put in a new one, in case this one was not pulled tight enough during assembly before they cut the loose end off.
    2014 ST-S , OEM Yes Cognac

Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

Default Curious...🤔

I see from your pic and profile you have a 2014 ST but is it manual or semiautomatic .. ? Shifting is on the left side (sitting on the unit) at least manuals. The item in the picture does not look bad you could clean it up and keep an eye on it.
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

After you do an oil change do you wash everything down that had oil spill or run down it....when the motor heats up residual oil left with get thin then tend to creep down towards the ground or turn into a drop. I would clean everything down with a motor degreaser or brake clean or simple green then blow it dry with an air gun...then just watch it after a ride

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Right side?

Well Arnie. If this is really on the right side, it’s not the shifting linkage. All shifting is on the left. Can’t really tell by that picture what it is, but the previous advice applies. It only takes a little residual oil left coating the frame under there, after an oil change, to find a place to drip from over time. I wouldn’t remove the plastic tie at this point.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

Oops! Major senior moment last night or too much beer and pizza! It is on the left side, not the right.
    I have done 4 oil changes since the dealership did the first one, so the first time I did it, I attributed it to them not wiping everything down. I squeeze paper towels in every nook and cranny after draining it to make sure I get the residual oil and usually degrease the inside of the bottom shied. The amount found is never heavy, more like a semi dry staining. Just seems to always be wet around the base of the rubber boot.
    I will continue to monitor to anyway.
    Thanks for the replies.