Spyder Garage

Cool Rear View Camera Install

Recently, after reading several post about back up cameras, it was once again Farkle time. I purchased from Rear View safety a wireless camera system model #RVS-091406. I mounted the camera on the license plate, drilled a small hole inside my left rear luggage bag for the wireless receiver and mounted the monitor on a 1" Ram ball on dash, then plugged monitor into a 12 volt source. Absolutely love the design, unit powers up when switch is on. Now, I'm realizing that the monitor isn't bright enough. Has anyone found a camera/monitor system that is super bright or is auto lightening based off of the amount of daylight?

Spyder Garage

Have you tried the velcro on shades that we use for our GPS Screens?
    You could make your own test version something like the Glarestopper.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DGoebel View Post
    Have you tried the velcro on shades that we use for our GPS Screens?
    You could make your own test version something like the Glarestopper.
    Definitely worth a try. Hoping to get a bit on descent weather this week, so I'll try to fab something to shade moniter. Wish me luck.

Spyder Garage

Maybe I'm missing something but why would one need a backup camera on a Spyder?? Just wondering?

Spyder Garage

Yep, You ARE missing something....<G> a pic of a Spyder in your avatar or signature..... Just kiddin'
    The older we get the harder turning around and looking behind you while backing get's, give it 20 years and see what I mean. Also a lot of folks like to have that camera and display always on, so they can see the texter behind them about to come hit them....
    Or just because we can.....

PS, I really like your wife's Triple black F3...
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Farkles are fun! They allow you to create a bike that is unique. I'll have to take half my farkles off if I have to stick with things that a necessary.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The older we get the harder turning around and looking behind you while backing get's, give it 20 years and see what I mean. Also a lot of folks like to have that camera and display always on, so they can see the texter behind them about to come hit them....
    While I agree with the theory: it's also kind of easy to get a bit too interested in what's behind you, and forget about what might be in front of you!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That's certainly possible...
    I interpreted what I read, as it was activated anytime that the bike was powered up...

Spyder Garage

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Another option from the world of RVs: a three-camera system.
    one rear-view camera, and one for each side of the bike.
    You could cover the blind spots easily with them!

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    While I agree with the theory: it's also kind of easy to get a bit too interested in what's behind you, and forget about what might be in front of you!
    If I get serious about towing my tent on a trailer again I'll be looking at rear view cameras. I haven't come up with a good mirror setup high and wide and stable enough to let me see what's behind me!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

There's no doubt that if you've got a "Toad***" in tow: the monitors are worth their weight in gold!

*** RV term for something being towed behind you.

Spyder Garage

Thanks...this is her second one and she is lovin it! I do have to say I rode both her spyders and the F3 is so much better in every way....handling, engine, As much as I like them I'm not there yet I will stick to my BMW for now. Enjoy the ride! Looking forward to some warmer weather here in NH.

Spyder Garage

Yep, You ARE missing something....<G> a pic of a Spyder in your avatar or signature..... Just kiddin'
    Or just because we can.....

Isn't that what mirrors are for??? Not to be a smart*#@, buuuuuuut..........And we should always be aware of where we pull in and before we get on our machines, be aware of what is parked around us. Hell, I can still back my Spyder and trailer while using the mirrors with an occasional glance over my shoulders. Mad Mac

Spyder Garage

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    That's certainly possible...
    I interpreted what I read, as it was activated anytime that the bike was powered up...
    Hey Bob! Yes you read it correctly. The camera & monitor is live at all time if the switch is on. The reasoning or thinking about this install came about several weeks back. I love riding my Spyder and it is winter time so I had several layers of clothes on along with a heavy riding jacket and noticed that while trying to twist around to check traffic It was very difficult. I always use mirrors but make it a point to look over the shoulder to make sure there's no one in my blind spot. So my thinking was that a small monitor would not eliminate the need for checking but gives me the chance to glance at traffic behind me. Also I'm going to make my 1st trip to Spyderfest this year and I'll be pulling a trailer so, again, the camera will provide a avenue to check the trailer in tow.

Spyder Garage

I just have to chime in here. If you use a back up camera for safety and depend upon it to see for you, you WILL have a problem. Back up cameras are miss named. They should be called rear view cameras. In the RV industry they are used to keep tabs on vehicles being towed. If they are used to "see" while backing up, the user WILL have a problem. Their field of vision is not adequate and you WILL hit something. I work for an RV dealer and we would NEVER back up an RV without a spotter guiding us. Too much money involved when you accidentally "bump" into another vehicle. Rather than spending money on something that will only be a false crutch, I suggest you just slow down and take the time to look at what you are doing.
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    ...Back up cameras are miss named. They should be called rear view cameras. In the RV industry they are used to keep tabs on vehicles being towed. ...I work for an RV dealer and we would NEVER back up an RV without a spotter guiding us. Too much money involved when you accidentally "bump" into another vehicle.
    ...Can you tell me why my Thor Dealer still has my rig? (Four Months... )