Spyder Garage

Default What is the front fender made of?

Hi.
    Yesterday I broke the mud flap support of the right front fender and wanted to know if it could be welded.
    It seems that if the part is made in ABS plastic it is very easy with a heat gun.
    Have you done that?
    Thank you very much.
    2018 F3 Ltd. , Black/Dark

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default FRONT FENDER AND ALL THE TUPPERWARE

Quote Originally Posted by mcalva View Post
    Hi.
    Yesterday I broke the mud flap support of the right front fender and wanted to know if it could be welded.
    It seems that if the part is made in ABS plastic it is very easy with a heat gun.
    Have you done that?
    Thank you very much.
    There are dozens of types of plastic .... I can't be positive it's of the ABS variety ...... but it is glue-able ..................Mike

Spyder Garage

Most of the tupperware is polyurethane if it matters. All of the fenders except the low profile fenders are plastic. The low profile ones are steel.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

If you are repairing tupperware on the Spyder, I recommend a product, Q-Bond. It has powders that are affected by the cyanoacrylate glue provided and provides a very strong bond with a built up support in 10 seconds so when you position the parts they have to be exactly in their final position. I ham fisted a tupperware part and broke one of the securing tabs. You'll have to figure out how to position your particular part to accept the powder that the glue 'melts' to form the bond. After the initial bonding, I started layering more plastic powder to thicken the break coverage. The part I repaired has no flexing to it so it has remained perfectly repaired and removed and replaced for two years now with no problems. If your part will flex, I'd suggest a backing plate of the same plastic. Be creative. I found the product at an automotive paint and body supply shop and it cost less than $10. The product can also repair metal. Didn't try that though. Just remember, clean the parts well.

Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

i keep in stock an epoxy designed for plastics that can flex. the company is fasco in fl. they make some incredible
    epoxies, one type i have used 25 years ago i put on my main compressor tank to repair a pin hole and it is still there.

Spyder Garage

First at all: thank you very much for your help.

I was looking the fender and there are few numbers but I couldn't find anything intelligible to me.

At the end I used hot melt adhesive but as I did not trust about that, I placed two small black screws on the sides
    with plastic washers avoiding movement and they do not bother the eye.

Really the attachement of the mud guard to the fender seems to me not very well dessigned because it is the
    fender extention and it is only a few millimeters thick. Maybe they could have made that weaker part replaceable
    in order to avoid the entire fender replacement if it breaks.
    2018 F3 Ltd. , Black/Dark

Spyder Garage

Default Good advise...above...

i always found that heating up a small piece of wire mesh red hot and placing it over the cracked area and then applying epoxy does the trick. But now they have many new type plastic glues. Seems that as soon as a good one comes along the manufacturers change the composition and you need a new glue...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black