Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default What is a Spider, Where are they all?

What is a Spider? Why do we so few on the road?

Recently, I had the opportunity to travel to Florida for some biking in the sun, not the snow. A Harley Trike was my mount for that stay. (No rental CanAms’ nearby). I will pen a comparison between the Harley Trike and the CanAm Spider that I have enjoyed for over 38,000 miles during the past two years, at a later time. For now I would like to explore and invite comments concerning just “what is a CanAm Spider”. “Where are they”?

As all Spiders riders know, this fun machine is a conversation starter wherever it parks. It attracts like a bikini on a beach. Trying to convey the Spider riding experience briefly is a challenge that all Spider riders enjoy.

First of all, lets just say that a Harley Trike is a Harley with three wheels with all of the same shakes, rattles and oils. They look and sound like a Harley and the riders believe in the “Hog” cult. They are a motorcycle with three wheels usually driven by former Harley owners. Amen

A Spider is not a made-over motorcycle. It is a new creation, a recreational vehicle that’s all about fun, safety and comfort. If those were the goals of the manufacturer then they hit a homerun, and we the riders have fun running the bases. However, the Spider web site states: The Can-Am Spider ("Spider") is a three-wheeled motorcycle manufactured by Bombardier Recreational Products. When I describe my STE Limited, I usually start with “it’s a no-top sports car with three wheels”. I never use the “M” word. You can ride a Spider without greasy jeans and boots. As a Spider rider you can dine at fine restaurants, enjoy a refreshing drink from a glass not a bottle and wear sneakers while riding without attracting a sneer.

Lets look at the components that that make for a happy recreational riding experience:

Comfort: Hey, when riding a Spider you just have to sit there and point her around the corners. No clutch to pull. No hand brakes. No holding up 900 pounds when you stop, You don’t even have to hold up your favorite squeeze if riding with you.
    You just sit there and enjoy the day, Now that’s easy, That’s fun.
    Safety: Three wheels hugging the ground. Two in front with the drive wheel in the rear. Three wheel ABS brakes, Effortless paddle shifting and cruise control. It also has a reverse gear, which is extremely helpful in maneuvering in and out of parking spaces.
    Also plenty of storage space. Room for everything. The front trunk (frunk) comes standard with every Spider and more cargo capacity is easily attached.
    Hey, I could get into this.

So why do we see so few Spiders on the road?

Price: Used, Many enter a new recreational sport by renting or purchasing a vehicle to see if it is for them. There are very few rental dealers for Spiders in the US. This prevents a “try before you buy” experience. Also used Spiders hold their price which is good for the owner but hinders entry-level ownership.
    Price new: CanAm does not have an entry level Spider priced to allow young families to enjoy the Spider experience. Dealers offer little or no “deals” on new Spiders. Even on leftover models BRP offers little support.
    Dealers: With a limited dealer network and the requirement for all work to be completed by a dealer or voiding of the warranty many are reluctant to travel for service or pay shipping for repairs or maintenance. Competent bike or RV shops could complete many of these jobs. Also many dealers have a “take it or leave it” attitude when scheduling requires service. It also seems that BRP is often less than vigorous when supporting Spider Warranties.

As our population matures, the quest for new recreational experiences increases. Also, I know I will burn in “bikers Hell” for saying that A Spider is a great fun vehicle for women to enjoy driving. “OH NO it’s a woman’s’ bike”. Real men don’t ride “girly” bikes. In my book, real men ride whatever they enjoy not just what the “gang” likes!

While riding in Florida recently, coming towards me on the other side of the road was a group of about 20 Spiders out for a fun group ride. My first thought was “this group looks like a roller coaster ride from Disney Land”. How did they spell FUN? SPIDER.

We who ride Spiders experience the fun of ownership. How do we spread the word?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Not to be too picky...

But it's Spyder...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Not to be too picky...

But it's Spyder...
    I knew that was coming

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Don't get me wrong: I liked what was posted...

But I've got this entire arachnophobia thing going on...
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 03-13-2018 at 04:45 PM.

Spyder Garage

As one who has had five and around 140,000 total miles, I would agree with most of what you said.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Well Done!....

I truly enjoyed this mini article! The OP has a fine turn of a phrase (even with the "i" thing)!
    Thank you for posting!
    To answer your question regarding spreading the word....Get out an RYDE!!!
    Bud~
    Last edited by NorCalBud; 03-13-2018 at 05:05 PM.
    ~'12 RT Limited, Pearl White~
    BajaRon Anti-sway Bar
    Squared Away Laser Alignment
    Custom Dynamics HMT Brake Light, Front Fender Tips & Kit, Front Mud Flap LEDs, Amber & Red Brightsides, Tri-color Magicflex Channelz
    Lidlox Grip Tip Helmet Locks
    TricLED Mirror Signals, RGB Multi-color Halo Underground Effects Kit, LED Headlights
    Palmer Signs Custom "Captain America" frunk graphics
    Twisted Chrome Pinstripes
    Overland Australian Sheepskin Seat Cover

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Hey Bob !

Have you got your Spyder TATTOO yet ?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I've got nothing against body art; but in my case: a Medic-Alert tattoo would be a lot more useful!

Spyder Garage

See a Canadian Dr. for help.
    Last edited by wyliec; 03-13-2018 at 06:27 PM.

Spyder Garage

So whY didn't they call it a Scorpion?
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I think it was all said very well. I have been riding all brands of motorcycles all my life and now on a Spyder (Spider) and really enjoy it. It is motorcycling but different.
    2021 RT Limited
    Asphalt Grey
    Lamonster RT phone mount
    Sena SMH-10
    Lamonster Belt Tensioner w/ larger roller
    Spyderpops Missing Belt Guard
    Garmin's GPS

Spyder Garage

Nice article
    But if the SPYDER is not a motorcycle than the harley trikes are not either They are 3 wheeler s classified as motorcycles

Spyder Garage

2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

There are around 100,000 Spyders out there. So most are probably in Canada and USA. That's not many when you have 48 lower states to split plus Canada. How many other bikes do you see around unless they are Harley or Goldwing. I had a Suzuki Burgman. I see way less of them than Spyder. I had a Kawasaki Nomad. Hardly ever see one. So a lot of bikes probably sell less than Spyder.
    Also Spyders have a big drop in value the first 2 years about 10k. I got my 15 RTS in April 16 brand new for 22,900. That's 5,400 off retail. And now I see them selling for 17-18k
    Last edited by JP58; 03-13-2018 at 07:41 PM.
    2018 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue

GOS member (Girls On Spyders)
    Spyder Garage

Default Hold it just one darn second

Quote Originally Posted by frenchbz View Post
    What is a Spider? Why do we so few on the road?

Recently, I had the opportunity to travel to Florida for some biking in the sun, not the snow. A Harley Trike was my mount for that stay. (No rental CanAms’ nearby). I will pen a comparison between the Harley Trike and the CanAm Spider that I have enjoyed for over 38,000 miles during the past two years, at a later time. For now I would like to explore and invite comments concerning just “what is a CanAm Spider”. “Where are they”?

As all Spiders riders know, this fun machine is a conversation starter wherever it parks. It attracts like a bikini on a beach. Trying to convey the Spider riding experience briefly is a challenge that all Spider riders enjoy.

First of all, lets just say that a Harley Trike is a Harley with three wheels with all of the same shakes, rattles and oils. They look and sound like a Harley and the riders believe in the “Hog” cult. They are a motorcycle with three wheels usually driven by former Harley owners. Amen

A Spider is not a made-over motorcycle. It is a new creation, a recreational vehicle that’s all about fun, safety and comfort. If those were the goals of the manufacturer then they hit a homerun, and we the riders have fun running the bases. However, the Spider web site states: The Can-Am Spider ("Spider") is a three-wheeled motorcycle manufactured by Bombardier Recreational Products. When I describe my STE Limited, I usually start with “it’s a no-top sports car with three wheels”. I never use the “M” word. You can ride a Spider without greasy jeans and boots. As a Spider rider you can dine at fine restaurants, enjoy a refreshing drink from a glass not a bottle and wear sneakers while riding without attracting a sneer.

Lets look at the components that that make for a happy recreational riding experience:

Comfort: Hey, when riding a Spider you just have to sit there and point her around the corners. No clutch to pull. No hand brakes. No holding up 900 pounds when you stop, You don’t even have to hold up your favorite squeeze if riding with you.
    You just sit there and enjoy the day, Now that’s easy, That’s fun.
    Safety: Three wheels hugging the ground. Two in front with the drive wheel in the rear. Three wheel ABS brakes, Effortless paddle shifting and cruise control. It also has a reverse gear, which is extremely helpful in maneuvering in and out of parking spaces.
    Also plenty of storage space. Room for everything. The front trunk (frunk) comes standard with every Spider and more cargo capacity is easily attached.
    Hey, I could get into this.

So why do we see so few Spiders on the road?

Price: Used, Many enter a new recreational sport by renting or purchasing a vehicle to see if it is for them. There are very few rental dealers for Spiders in the US. This prevents a “try before you buy” experience. Also used Spiders hold their price which is good for the owner but hinders entry-level ownership.
    Price new: CanAm does not have an entry level Spider priced to allow young families to enjoy the Spider experience. Dealers offer little or no “deals” on new Spiders. Even on leftover models BRP offers little support.
    Dealers: With a limited dealer network and the requirement for all work to be completed by a dealer or voiding of the warranty many are reluctant to travel for service or pay shipping for repairs or maintenance. Competent bike or RV shops could complete many of these jobs. Also many dealers have a “take it or leave it” attitude when scheduling requires service. It also seems that BRP is often less than vigorous when supporting Spider Warranties.

As our population matures, the quest for new recreational experiences increases. Also, I know I will burn in “bikers Hell” for saying that A Spider is a great fun vehicle for women to enjoy driving. “OH NO it’s a woman’s’ bike”. Real men don’t ride “girly” bikes. In my book, real men ride whatever they enjoy not just what the “gang” likes!

While riding in Florida recently, coming towards me on the other side of the road was a group of about 20 Spiders out for a fun group ride. My first thought was “this group looks like a roller coaster ride from Disney Land”. How did they spell FUN? SPIDER.

We who ride Spiders experience the fun of ownership. How do we spread the word?

In the vast majority of states, the SPYDER is classified as a motorcycle (including MA), and requires the proper endorsement to operate it. I don't deny the "rockstar" treatment while out on the Spyder, I've gotten used to it over the past 8 years. Now for the parts of your commentary I have issues with. Who are you to describe Harley owners (and HOG) as a cult? The men and women of my local HOG Chapter are some of the friendliest and most caring individuals I have ever had the privilege of knowing. Full disclosure, I've been a life member of both National and local HOG Chapters for 9 years. We share a common passion and love for the freedom of the open road, regardless of the machine we ride. I ride my Spyder proudly, with my head held high at each Chapter event, even to carry the Chapter's flag during our annual bike blessing. Here's a little story that happened a few years ago.
    At our annual bike blessing, my Spyder developed a mechanical issue and went into limp mode. Within a matter of seconds, there were many offers of help, from offering a trailer, to help with a jumpstart, additional fluids, etc. . The code cleared after the infamous key reset, but they insisted I take it to a nearby Can Am dealer. I was safely surrounded by fellow motorcyclists until I arrived at the dealer. They did not leave my side until they were sure I was safe, and had a ride home. If they were truly a "cult" as you call them, they would've left me alone, without giving me a second thought. I have eaten at many a fine restaurant with my HD family. Together, we have ridden countless miles for charity, and will continue to do so.
    An interesting bit of trivia for you. BRP was not the first to come up with the "reverse trike" design. HD had a prototype bike, called the "Penstar" sometime in the mid-late 90's. Unfortunately, they never went beyond the research and development phase, definitely a poor decision, in hindsight. There is an example in the museum in Milwaukee.
    A Can Am Spyder is a fun bike to operate, regardless of the rider's gender. Also, the relatively low number of Spyders in our area is due to several factors, including costs, lack of good local shops and mechanics, and the simple fact that our riding season is relatively short.
    Lastly, you ask how we can get the word out. We get more word out every single time we're out on our Spyders. I even had contact cards made up with my contact info in case someone expressed interest, and wanted to know more. We also try to find other owners, and form a riding group (such as US Spyder Ryders, SRA, GOS, etc.). We work with local Can Am dealers at their events, and reach even more potential owners.
    Ryde Safe!

Spyder Garage

Well, if Massachusetts has spiders that are big enough to ride, I will certainly be taking it of my “visit” list !

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Default Cult is a cult

Who are you to describe Harley owners (and HOG) as a cult?

I did not take calling a group of Harley riders a cult as offensive. I have owned one and the warmth is different for my SPYDER, but not for me. As a person, I have always felt very welcomed by most Harley groups when I pull up on my SPYDER. We all have many great friends who are Harley enthusiast. Cult is short for culture and is a compliment to them as a group in their common love of a specific brand. But in no way shape or forum has any big group of Harley riders or Harley events wanted to initiate a conversation about my farkles or performance upgrades on my SPYDER. At best, I might get a polite question about handling to which they are not really interested in my reply. Yet, I have to listen to no end about things like nice flames or where did you get the skull print. I like how loud your pipes are or where did you get that chrome thingy. They love their brand and the bond is more inclusive for a discussion if you have the same brand. Yes they are great people and I have seen a whole Harley group stop their bikes on a busy highway while their passengers risk their lives scooting a group of baby ducks to safety. Harley riders are a diverse culture with a huge range of inner cults. But for the most part, my SPYDER is invisible when I park with them.
    Last edited by Dennis in Lodi; 03-14-2018 at 08:45 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Back to the whole "What is a Spyder" thing...

I just call mine "fun", and couldn't care less what anybody else wants to call them.

Very Active Member Buckeye Bleau's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I really liked the original post and enjoyed the honesty with humor, it was a great read.

Most states like Ohio in short, describe a MC as a vehicle the a handlebar and a driver's position that sit astride the motor. Hence the Spyder Ryder in Ohio needs a MC endorsement.

When comparing numbers one has to remember that they have only been selling these gadgets for ten years, vs. what for the others, sixty, seventy, or more years? As mentioned look at the price point, the Spyder brand requires a little higher disposable income.

Maybe 15 years ago HD had a promotion on the Buell models, you could buy a new one for, not sure about this, but maybe $7,000. Then within one year you could trade it for any other new Buell or HD and get all your money back on trade from the previous purchase. Did it work, I don't know, but it sure included a lot larger demographic than a $19,000 entry point.

Hey my hat is off to the OP, congrats on a great post.

Joe
    U.S. Army Viet Nam Era Vet
    2013 Spyder RT-L, Black Currant
    Trunk mount dual SS flag holder
    TricLed foam hand grips (awesome)
    Chromed Soaring Eagle License Holder
    Utopia Deluxe driver backrest
    LED fender lighting
    Fast Flash LED brake light
    Spyder Pops LED/skid plate

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

... If he would just fix the spelling errors...

Spyder Garage

I am surprised that no one mentioned that Can Am does not call the Spyder a Motorcycle, It calls the Spyder a Roadster

2015 RT Limited Black Matallic
    BAJARon Sway Bar w/Billet Aluminum Heim Joint Link Set
    SPYDERPOPS Bumperskid with LED's
    SPYDERPOPS RT BRT Rear Lighting Kit
    US LED Flag

Spyder Garage

Default Spyder Motorcycle

Quote Originally Posted by Commander View Post
    I am surprised that no one mentioned that Can Am does not call the Spyder a Motorcycle, It calls the Spyder a Roadster
    Copied from the web today

can-am.brp.com/spyder
    More stable than a motorcycle, more open to the life around you, and always open for what’s ahead. This 3 seater motorcycle delivers a confident ride. Discover our ...

Spyder Garage

Default It's Spider not Spyder

Not to be too picky...

But it's Spyder...
    It’s Spider not Spyder
    I have been schooled to “trust the electronics”. When the pilot flies into a cloud he is taught to “trust the electronics”. When the sailor encounters fog, “trust the electronics”. When this scribe pens a document I “trust the electronics”. I would not want to call Microsoft Spell Checker incorrect when it rejects “spyder” and inserts “spider”. When I view decorated CanAm Spiders and see webs with insects on them, I searched for “insects with small bodies and many legs that spin webs” Yup, spiders is the answer. For further proof, Alexa, what insect has many legs, small body and spins webs? Answer: a spider
    Alexa, How do you spell spider? Answer: spider.
    Now I suspect that BRP uses the VP of quality control as their spell checker. It may be that the Canadian version of spider is spyder and there is an international collusion in the works trying to influence how we spell in the US. We may need an investigation.

Spyder Garage

Default You may hae to change your ride

You should never be caught in a group with decorated Spiders!!

Spyder Garage

Default Oh no another arachnophobia victim!

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    Well, if Massachusetts has spiders that are big enough to ride, I will certainly be taking it of my “visit” list !

Pete
    Oh no another arachnophobia victim!