Spyder Garage

Default 2014 RT Cruise Control Knob Gone

Whilst riding a few days ago I looked down at the RH handlebar and noticed the cruise control switch button was missing, apparently just fell off somewhere. after reading the service manual, this part is not available, you have to buy the whole switch cluster at over 400 bucks, needless to say BRP didn't want to know, just advised me to go to the dealer for bankruptsy.
    Being experienced in electronics, game for a challenge (or just plain stupid), I want to remove the switch assembly as I'm sure I can make a new button but I will be better doing it in my electronics workshop rather than the garage, I know I'll have to take the handlebar covers off to disconnect the cables, usual brp storey all panels off, engine out, wheels off, just to remove the handlebar, I think all brp designers are retired sadists.
    Enough of the silly jokes, my question is has anyone ever dismantled an RT right hand switch cluster?
    Is it how it looks, undo those tiny hex screws and all sorts of springs and clips will jump out never to be
    seen again.

DSC00874.jpgDSC00872.jpgDoes anyone know what I'm in for if I undo the two gold screw on top?(second photo)
    Or better still, does anyone know where there is a whole switch assembly lurking even broken or not working, all I want is the CC button.
    Thanks to anyone who can help.

Alex
    2014 RT Std
    Floor and Highway Boards
    50$ GPS connected to oem loom
    Trunk & Frunk Liners and lights
    Frunk and dashboard power outlets
    Front supension LEDS
    Cup holders
    Glovebox light
    Turn signal LEDs in mirrors
    12 volt coffee maker
    Passenger hangrip muffs
    Ignition lock light
    Windscreen wiper/ baguette holder

If I wasn't so cleverI wouldn't need to be so good looking.
    2014 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

Default Junk yard....

Never been in one for RT but many in my time around bikes. These newer ones are much easier and for sure the two halves are contained so you can remove the assembly after unplugging from the harness. After that you need to watch how it comes apart so as to be able to reassemble the half in question. Parts for it will be in the junk yard or shops that have changed one out...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

You might want to see if there are any wrecked Spyders somewhere? Maybe your insurance people would have info on that?

Spyder Garage

Try pinwall cycle. https://pinwallcycle.com/

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Default 2014 RT cruise control

Quote Originally Posted by agedbikeman View Post
    Whilst riding a few days ago I looked down at the RH handlebar and noticed the cruise control switch button was missing, apparently just fell off somewhere. after reading the service manual, this part is not available, you have to buy the whole switch cluster at over 400 bucks, needless to say BRP didn't want to know, just advised me to go to the dealer for bankruptsy.
    Being experienced in electronics, game for a challenge (or just plain stupid), I want to remove the switch assembly as I'm sure I can make a new button but I will be better doing it in my electronics workshop rather than the garage, I know I'll have to take the handlebar covers off to disconnect the cables, usual brp storey all panels off, engine out, wheels off, just to remove the handlebar, I think all brp designers are retired sadists.
    Enough of the silly jokes, my question is has anyone ever dismantled an RT right hand switch cluster?
    Is it how it looks, undo those tiny hex screws and all sorts of springs and clips will jump out never to be
    seen again.

DSC00874.jpgDSC00872.jpgDoes anyone know what I'm in for if I undo the two gold screw on top?(second photo)
    Or better still, does anyone know where there is a whole switch assembly lurking even broken or not working, all I want is the CC button.

Alex
    Alex.

I don't have an RT but that looks exactly like the inside of my cruise control on my RS. Now having said that, and it being two and a half years since I installed my cruise control; there is a positioning peg on the handle bar to keep the grip from rotating around. This is the collar that holds that half of the grip in place over the positioning peg. No springs and big surprises. I, not being experienced in electronics, would simply drill a pilot hole in the stub where the switch broke off and put a small allen wrench type headed screw in there. this would allow you to slide on and off, as well as giving you set and resume functions. Not about beauty but functionality!!!! FWIW

Al in Kazoo
    All the great movements in the world began with a cup of coffee!

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

I always keep my CC button in the "ON" position. You have just given me a good reason to do so. I think Al in Kazoo may be on to an easier solution, if not just temporary, until another reasonably priced cluster can be located. Good luck with your repair.
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    I always keep my CC button in the "ON" position. You have just given me a good reason to do so. I think Al in Kazoo may be on to an easier solution, if not just temporary, until another reasonably priced cluster can be located. Good luck with your repair.

I have always done the same and I’ve nrver had an issue. I’d try to get it in the on position and leave it alone. 225,000 Spyder miles all with the cruise on.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Call around some of the dealers and see if they have any pull-offs laying around. If so, you can take the knob off one of those. That's what I did to add cruise control to my 2013 RS as the only thing missing was the stupid knob, everything else is there - switches, electronics, everything. The dealer gave me a bad cluster that was not under warranty that they were going to throw away.
    Current:
    2016 Honda CTX700 DCT ABS (faring model)
    Kip Moto SherpaX Cargo Trailer

Wife Has:
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited
    2016 Lees-ure Lite Camping Trailer

Previous:
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RS SE5, zoom-zoom!
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE5, Foot Burner - Gasoline Boiling Stinker - Gas Tank Vacuum Puller

Spyder Garage

Default 2014 rt cc

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    Try pinwall cycle. https://pinwallcycle.com/
    Thanks,looked on pinwall, they had one but 2009, no cc switch at all, thanks anyway I'll keep looking
    2014 RT Std
    Floor and Highway Boards
    Front supension LEDS
    Cup holders
    Glovebox light
    12 volt coffee maker
    Passenger hangrip muffs
    Ignition lock light

2014 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

Default 2014 rt cc

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    I've never turned my cc of since I bought it, beats me where it went, just looked down one day and there it was, GONE., Going to do what Al Kazoo said.
    2014 RT Std
    Floor and Highway Boards
    Front supension LEDS
    Cup holders
    Glovebox light
    12 volt coffee maker
    Passenger hangrip muffs
    Ignition lock light

2014 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

Default 2014 rt cc

Quote Originally Posted by IGETAROUND View Post
    Alex.

I don't have an RT but that looks exactly like the inside of my cruise control on my RS. Now having said that, and it being two and a half years since I installed my cruise control; there is a positioning peg on the handle bar to keep the grip from rotating around. This is the collar that holds that half of the grip in place over the positioning peg. No springs and big surprises. I, not being experienced in electronics, would simply drill a pilot hole in the stub where the switch broke off and put a small allen wrench type headed screw in there. this would allow you to slide on and off, as well as giving you set and resume functions. Not about beauty but functionality!!!! FWIW

Al in Kazoo
    Thanks Al,thought of that at first, just wanted to keep looks original as possible, but not at 400 buck +.
    Luckily there are 2 stubbs side by side with a tiny hole already in them, will take up your idea of allen screw but will screw a thin aluminium plate on using the already holes to stop anything getting into the switch unit, may even find a tiny knob to screw to the plate, I'll take photos and post 'em up here when I've done. I'M ON A MISSION NOW!!!
    2014 RT Std
    Floor and Highway Boards
    Front supension LEDS
    Cup holders
    Glovebox light
    12 volt coffee maker
    Passenger hangrip muffs
    Ignition lock light

2014 RT , Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I've never turned my cc of since I bought it, beats me where it went, just looked down one day and there it was, GONE., Going to do what Al Kazoo said.

If your CC is on, do you really need the button (other than for looks)?
    2016 F3-L Special Series? Mods: Lamonster IPS end caps w/ Gripper 3rd pegs, GPS mount, Power Plate, Perf. Muffler; Backoff Brake Light Strobe; CD Front (amber/red) Brightsides & Tip Kit; ISCI Flag Holder w/Long Poles; BRP Signature Light, Aux Lights, Saddlebag Liners, Garmin 590 GPS; TricLED foam Grips, LEDs (Aux/headlights); Pitbull Driving Lights; RDL seat; Ultimate backrest

Previous ryde: 2012 RT-L, 26,636 miles on it when traded; 2014 RT-L, 34,147 miles on it when traded

Very Active Member eddieshep999's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Just as a matter of interest

If you have to dismantle one of the switch clusters and you are not sure if springs or screws are likely to fly out, a good tip is to place a plastic bag over the switch cluster large enough to get your hands and tools inside and if you use a see through bag in the event should any screws or springs fly out the bag will hopefully catch them and being see through they should be easier to spot and reteive
    Eddie Sheppard
    Poole Dorset UK

Get a Spyder - See the World

Spyder Garage

Thanks,looked on pinwall, they had one but 2009, no cc switch at all, thanks anyway I'll keep looking
    Call them and ask them directly.Not everything is listed.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

Spyder Garage

Default All.......Any idea on how big an issue this is for Spyders ?

seen again.

Alex
    Also, I'm thinking, any suggestions from anyone on how to prevent it now, before it happens ?? Short of putting a pretty rubber band around it
    Ray & Marci
    Tenino, WA
    2014RTL Cognac
    ALWAYS ride 2 up.

Very Active Member ottawa-rider's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyRyd View Post
    If your CC is on, do you really need the button (other than for looks)?
    Yes, on and activated are not the same, you still need the button to activate or resume.
    2018 RT LTD , Black

Spyder Garage

Default Or to change speed up or down.

Quote Originally Posted by ottawa-rider View Post
    Yes, on and activated are not the same, you still need the button to activate or resume.
    Agree.
    Ray & Marci
    Tenino, WA
    2014RTL Cognac
    ALWAYS ride 2 up.

Spyder Garage

If you haven't already, try on ebay,there is always tons of parts there for almost anything.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI