Thread: Exhaust options

Spyder Garage

Default Exhaust options

My is a 2015 F3-S SE6. I am trying to figure out my best options for exhaust to utilize the Monster ECU re-flash.

I currently am running a HMF Racing exhaust. This exhaust deletes the cat. I do have a BCT baffle installed to help with back pressure.
    https://www.hmfracing.com/exhausts/can-am/spyder-f3-s

I was considering putting the cat back on and installing either the Akrapovic Sinister Silencer or the Akrapovic Straight Shot Silencer. Does anyone here have either of these exhaust and would also be able to tell me the difference between the two? Also, would I need to buy the heat shield replacement kit right away, or is that simply a "maintenance" item that comes later?

The only other "performance" mod I have is a K&N air filter installed.

Thanks in advance for the help and opinions!
    2015 Spyder F3-S

Spyder Garage

I have the Akra SS on mine. There is no baffle in it, hence the term straight shot. The heat shield is supplied with the unit and is not a wearable item. You would only replace it if it gets damaged somehow. I am not sure how the Sinister is built as far as baffling goes...

As for putting the cat back in, I don't see the need if you are running a baffle. You can even run the can opener style baffler in the other end of the cat delete pipe to further "tune" your backpressure and sound. I am currently waiting on Ricky's midpipe (cat delete) to become available. It has a small resonator and baffle already in it...

Have you already gotten the flash? When did you do it? I was flashed awhile ago and it was a dismal failure as there was zero performance gain. Steve has said that he may have inadvertently reflashed mine with either my stock tune or the flash was incomplete or interrupted! ??? Not sure what the latter means but I have been waiting on sending it back until I get more concrete performance results from others....

'15 F3-S Pure Magnesium Metallic - Mad Max Edition
    '15 Mclaren 650S Coupe - Aurora Blue

"You Were Really Flyin', When I Passed You Back There!"

Chuck
    2015 F3-S , Pure Magnesium Metallic/Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by hypurone View Post
    I am currently waiting on Ricky's midpipe (cat delete) to become available. It has a small resonator and baffle already in it...

That is interesting information, I would be certainly interested in such mid pipe. Do you know when and where it will be available?

I have also Akra SS on my F3 and I have cat still on. Unfortunately, I do not have any experience with Sinister exhaust. Here is one youtube vid of the sinister exhaust sound (maybe it is helpful):

Allan

Spyder Garage

Default Exhaust

I have the lamonster cat delete with the can opener baffle & the stock muffler on my 2015 F3S. It sounds great but I’m wanting to know how loud it would be with the Akrs SS & if there would be enough back pressure to run correctly. I would definitely leave you cat off, tune or no tune. It’s going to just run cooler & better. Most everyone says that the cat delete without any baffle is just too loud. Make me wonder if the muffler would make a difference. Why don’t you just run your current exhaust with the flash?
    2015 F3S-T , Black Black & Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AllanSpyder View Post
    That is interesting information, I would be certainly interested in such mid pipe. Do you know when and where it will be available?

I have also Akra SS on my F3 and I have cat still on.

Allan
    It will hopefully be available this month at some point. I have been waiting for it for several months now. I will post when I get it and it is actually on his site. ...

EDIT: seems as tho it will now NOT make it this month. He has yet to receive his laser etched parts to start building and coating them!
    Last edited by hypurone; 02-17-2018 at 06:32 PM.

Chuck

Spyder Garage

Have you already gotten the flash? When did you do it? I was flashed awhile ago and it was a dismal failure as there was zero performance gain. Steve has said that he may have inadvertently reflashed mine with either my stock tune or the flash was incomplete or interrupted! ??? Not sure what the latter means but I have been waiting on sending it back until I get more concrete performance results from others....
    No, I have not had the flash done yet.
    2015 Spyder F3-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JS3535 View Post
    I have the lamonster cat delete with the can opener baffle & the stock muffler on my 2015 F3S. It sounds great but I’m wanting to know how loud it would be with the Akrs SS & if there would be enough back pressure to run correctly. I would definitely leave you cat off, tune or no tune. It’s going to just run cooler & better. Most everyone says that the cat delete without any baffle is just too loud. Make me wonder if the muffler would make a difference. Why don’t you just run your current exhaust with the flash?
    I'm not opposed to running my current exhaust. I was just wondering if people had any experience with the Sinister exhaust and at the same time wondering what the best set up would be to get the most out of an ECU flash.
    2015 Spyder F3-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by z_light11 View Post
    and at the same time wondering what the best set up would be to get the most out of an ECU flash.
    There really is no best setup as he can adapt the flash to your mods. So go with what you like the sound of and ryde on!

Chuck

Spyder Garage

There really is no best setup as he can adapt the flash to your mods. So go with what you like the sound of and ryde on!
    So is he changing the flash depending on what mods are done to the spyder? I am used to the racing world where the flash is extremely dependent on every mod you have done, down to the exact exhaust, air filter and every little piece that goes into making the best power.
    2015 Spyder F3-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by z_light11 View Post
    So is he changing the flash depending on what mods are done to the spyder? I am used to the racing world where the flash is extremely dependent on every mod you have done, down to the exact exhaust, air filter and every little piece that goes into making the best power.
    Yes, he is adjusting fuel and timing accordingly primarily for the exhaust mods as that is what affects AFR the most since there is only a high flow filter on the intake side available.
    Last edited by hypurone; 02-17-2018 at 06:33 PM.

Chuck

Spyder Garage

It will hopefully be available this month at some point. I have been waiting for it for several months now. I will post when I get it and it is actually on his site. ...
    Thanks!

I found this vid from Youtube:

Is this the same pipe that you mentioned?

Allan

Spyder Garage

Thanks!

Allan
    Yup, that is the one. I meant to post it here and forgot! There will be 49 available initially (the first one to be built in Ceramic Black is mine! ).....

Chuck

Spyder Garage

Thanks!

Allan
    I don’t see a point in running the cat delete with the resonator if you are going to be running the stock muffler. IMO the lamonster with can opener baffle & stock muffler is a great set-up.
    2015 F3S-T , Black Black & Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JS3535 View Post
    I don’t see a point in running the cat delete with the resonator if you are going to be running the stock muffler. IMO the lamonster with can opener baffle & stock muffler is a great set-up.
    It's all about sound type. I for one hate the raspy higher note given by the current by-pass pipe/baffle options. Stock muffler or not. Think of it like using a 3" exhaust on a car vs 2.5". The 3" due to the larger diameter changes the resonance and tone of the exhaust. With a resonator in this new by-pass pipe the diameter widens out for a moment dropping the frequency/resonance down. This should be a great option even with a stock muffler for those that are just not quite happy with the tone they currently have.....

Chuck