Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

A jet engine has to spool up to.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RinconRyder View Post
    d

Nose art isn't PC any longer. The best you could hope for today would be a squadron insignia on the tail.

As for the P-40's, they were severely outclassed by a whole host of other aircraft - both Japanese and German. Prior to both world wars it seems the USA was really behind the 8-ball in all manner of weapons. Our ships were not first line (our torpedoes were a world class failure). Neither were our infantry weapons. Our aircraft were terribly lacking. The only thing we had going for us was the width of the Pacific Ocean, a couple of very impressive intelligence breakthroughs and some strategic mistakes by our enemies. Fortunately, most of our early failures were improved upon within the first two years of WWII and what we could not fix by quality we fixed by quantity.
    And "cockpits" are now called "flight Stations". Oh, the world we live in NOW!! Thanks to 'time-outs" and all the other P.C. crap we have to deal with, no wonder we have kids that don't want to leave home or deal with a "bully" the way we had to do!! Just say'n.Mad Mac

Spyder Garage

I think many have missed the key constraint on why these A/C are in the mix, "low cost light attack aircraft" is the program, jets are not low cost. Also both these airframes are already used for other applications/services around the world. Means more spare parts in the supply chain around the world, which supports the " low cost " element of the program.

But remember, this is my alma matter, "Low Cost" is like a $7,000+ Coffee maker on a C-5

USAF Retired TSgt David Goebel, at your service.
    1980 - 2000 9 bases in 3 theatres in 20 years, what fun!
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Default JPATS

The Joint Primary Aircraft Training System (JPATS) was an aircraft procurement program of the United States in the 1990s by the United States Air Force and United States Navy, a merger of 1980s era training aircraft programs. The winner was declared in 1995 and entered service a few years later as the Beechcraft T-6. Since then they have made a few upgrades. They are built in Wichita, KS.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan12 View Post
    The Joint Primary Aircraft Training System (JPATS) was an aircraft procurement program of the United States in the 1990s by the United States Air Force and United States Navy, a merger of 1980s era training aircraft programs. The winner was declared in 1995 and entered service a few years later as the Beechcraft T-6. Since then they have made a few upgrades. They are built in Wichita, KS.
    Ryan12, Yep this is the OP's referenced article about the New Light Attack A/C competing the AT-6 vs the A-29 Super Tucano, Hope the Wichitan's are the winner!
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DGoebel View Post
    I think many have missed the key constraint on why these A/C are in the mix, "low cost light attack aircraft" is the program, jets are not low cost. Also both these airframes are already used for other applications/services around the world. Means more spare parts in the supply chain around the world, which supports the " low cost " element of the program.

But remember, this is my alma matter, "Low Cost" is like a $7,000+ Coffee maker on a C-5

USAF Retired TSgt David Goebel, at your service.
    1980 - 2000 9 bases in 3 theatres in 20 years, what fun!
    Or a $1200.00 ashtray(which you could not smoke on a mil. A/C??) on a C-141A&B or a $2200.00 toilet seat on a C5A.
    (14 years on C141A&B's and 2 years on C-5A's and another 5 yrs. on C-130's & KC-135's 1977-1998, and yes, I would do 85% all over again!) Mad Mac!