Thread: BRP Connect

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    How about:
    Sirius XM
    Fobo
    The Weather Channel
    Rever and FOBO are “coming soon”. It already has Accuweather and ya, I’d like SiriusXM or iHeart Radio.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    The real problem with any app that requires continuous data to function is not the cost, but a great many of the best motorcycle routes are not interstate and do not have cell phone data available. Any GPS that cannot navigate on its own without a data connection is useless on a motorcycle.

Yes its true that genius maps cannot plan routes. Only point to point directions. As is, the BRP connect system is not a functional GPS for motorcycle touring. They have some development to do. If you purchase an 2018, suggest planning on using a Garmin for a while.

You our can create multiple point routes in Genius Maps. Took me a while to figure it out. I made a video.

https://youtu.be/2zbUgfL-2bY
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Thank you for figuring this out

Spyder Garage

Now that I've paid almost $100 to get the Map working, it still doesn't work right. When using Genius maps you lose the radio when you hit the button again to get back to the radio the R/H side of the dashboard freezes.
    The other apps still don't work

BRP I know you guys lurk on here, you need to figure this out and let us know how to get it working right

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ahh-cool View Post
    Now that I've paid almost $100 to get the Map working, it still doesn't work right. When using Genius maps you lose the radio when you hit the button again to get back to the radio the R/H side of the dashboard freezes.
    The other apps still don't work

BRP I know you guys lurk on here, you need to figure this out and let us know how to get it working right
    I’m hoping the software update fixes this. What I’m doing is I open the maps and start my route then touch the speaker and mute the sound. Then open BRP Connect and plug into bike. Turn bike on and get the music playing then switch to maps and it will show you where to go with no spoken directions. The music will keep playing. Once the update is done I hope this is fixed. I hope a few other glitches are fixed also, like if you have iTunes open when you plug it in then turn bike on you will see it trying to load BRP Connect but wont until you respond to the pop up on the phone that is asking you to allow the bike to have access to BRP Connect. So I have to make sure BRP Connect is open when I plug in.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

When I plug my phone in it locks and the screen goes dark

Spyder Garage

I just gotta get clear on this.... what locks & goes dark - the phone or the dash screen??
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

That's the way it's set up. In the video of BRP Connect they show and mention how when you have connected the phone via BT, and then plug in the USB, which is for charging only, the phone itself is disabled as far as using it directly.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    I just gotta get clear on this.... what locks & goes dark - the phone or the dash screen??
    Phone

Spyder Garage

Default BRP Connect

All I know is I saw a 2018 RTL at the Great American Outdoor show in Harrisburg PA last weekend and I can tell you this that I got more excited about the OEM Passenger Arm Rests than I did about the BRP Connect. A dealer buddy of mine was at the show booth and gave me the key and allowed me to fumble thru it and I mean fumble thru it. I am pretty tech savvy and it confused the crap out of me.

Not enough changes from the 2015 that I have to the 2018, plus the fact that BRP took away the switch to adjust the air ride and made it fully automatic really worries me and makes it yet another sensor you have to worry about going bad.

Just my opinion, you make the decision for your self.
    2022 RT Limited , Silver w/ Black and Purple accents

Spyder Garage

I'm taking it in tomorrow to see if there is an update for the software. One of the problems I'm having is I can feel the bike going into ECO mode when the phone is connected

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm taking it in tomorrow to see if there is an update for the software. One of the problems I'm having is I can feel the bike going into ECO mode when the phone is connected
    This is my first RT. How do you know its going into ECO mode? Haven't tried it yet. My dealer has told me they have the "tools" but have yet to be able to do the update. They want to test it on a demo before doing the customers bikes. I've been bugging them to get it done soon.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

When you put it into ECO mode it feels like you're riding on 2 cylinders.
    You should try it for a minute and then wounder why they ever wasted the real estate on the handlebar.

Spyder Garage

Default Is this the future ?

Is all this necessary for BRP to appeal to the flat phone crowd ? As I read what all is necessary to use cell phone tower based "GPS", I really do wonder if all this makes you safer or just another distracted driver. I would love to see a video of trying to use a flat phone and ride a Spyder. I have to pull off the road to put a new destination in my 660 before I press "Go".

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Burped View Post
    Is all this necessary for BRP to appeal to the flat phone crowd ? As I read what all is necessary to use cell phone tower based "GPS", I really do wonder if all this makes you safer or just another distracted driver. I would love to see a video of trying to use a flat phone and ride a Spyder. I have to pull off the road to put a new destination in my 660 before I press "Go".
    I remember I could end a route on my 660. I could also work it to start a route all while riding. With the new system the “flat phone” AKA a smartphone, is plugged in and not accessible as the screen locks. You can navigate to features and find destinations and start it all by using the joystick on the handlebar. I’ve noticed some dash features not accessible while moving but I’ve had to start a trip while leaving my neighborhood and it worked. The dash is extremely easy to see in any light. I’ll have to see if I can do a video.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Smile BRP CONNECT

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin2488485 View Post
    Looks like a pain to complete, but if thats all you have then its better than nothing.

Ride safe!!
    What is wrong with good old Paper Maps? Set down pick your route,get on the road, go where you want, stop where and when you want, And forget about all of the tech things.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Burped View Post
    A GPS app on a flat phone uses satellite GPS data just like your 660 does. Cell tower location service is a fall back if GPS signal isn't available, which is almost never, or to provide location services to all those big brothers watching you.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    With GW your choice is iPhone, or nothing. Android is not supported. Are you sure you would want to have BRP use Android Auto given Google's history of making revisions and updates? Rumors are Google may drop Android development. BRP Connect is the Spyder version of Bosch's mySpin auto connect system. When car brands like Toyota and Lexus don't use Android Auto you really need to wonder. And then consider the fact that 80% of the world's car makers are supporting MirrorLink to replace both Apple Car Play & Android Auto. Bosch has been working hand in hand with BRP since the inception of the Spyder. It only make sense they would cooperate on the smartphone connectivity side of things, especially since a version of mySpin has been modified by Bosch specifically for motorcycle use. Other than for GW Car Play and Android Auto have not been tweaked for motorcycle use.

Take a look at some of the later posts, looks like BRP didn't do its homework, maybe they need to go talk to Bosch and fix their problems, they sell you a 30 thousand plus bike and the new display system is half bake.

Ride safe!!
    2015 RT L , Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Flamewinger View Post
    Rever and FOBO are “coming soon”. It already has Accuweather and ya, I’d like SiriusXM or iHeart Radio.
    When you find that Rever is active and working, let me know ...... When I learn that it is active, I will do the same...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by modagwood View Post
    What is wrong with good old Paper Maps? Set down pick your route,get on the road, go where you want, stop where and when you want, And forget about all of the tech things.
    A paper map does not give you directions as you approach your turns and I cannot read a paper map while in traffic or riding. I really feel the GPS is a major advancement, just not sold yet on BRP's reinvention of the wheel.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

In reading these posts, it does sound like BRP d/n do it's homework. I have to admit, that using the 660, I can pick my routes, waypoints, gas stations, and hotels, etc. while riding without much issue. AAAAAnd if I have to use a paper map, I usually have to stop and take a break at some point(leak, smoke, or just stretch my legs), the perfect time to take a look at a map!! Hope you guys and girls get them figured out soon, because riding season will be here very soon!! Mad Mac

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by modagwood View Post
    Paper maps? I knew that computer thing was just a fad. I haven't used a paper map in over 20 or 30 years

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    A GPS app on a flat phone uses satellite GPS data just like your 660 does. Cell tower location service is a fall back if GPS signal isn't available, which is almost never, or to provide location services to all those big brothers watching you.
    I'm here to tell you that we just did a 9,000 mile trip and I can't believe how many places we were in that had no cell service or internet. I'm not talking about being out in the sticks.
    We're getting ready to go to Alaska in a couple of months and there is a lot of areas between here and there that don't have cell or internet.
    Seems when you don't have cell service the GPS sometimes doesn't work either.

Spyder Garage

I miss my shelf. with the old dashboard I could lay my phone up there and it would not fall off. Now there is no place to lay it.
    The good thing about the dash is, you can see it in direct light. Something I could not do with my GPS

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Stefan,
    This whole BRP connect thing is just a big change, and nothing more...
    If some fool in Canada thought it up: it must be possible for some fools in the USA to figure it all out!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black