Spyder Garage

Default Tires

Let me know how it goes.
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Called both of the Dealers by me and they will not install a car tire.

Spyder Garage

I called both of the dealers near me and they will not put a car tire on my Spyder. I might have to find someplace else to do a tire when I need it. I don't want to go to just any bike shop they might know the proper way to do things.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Joel The Biker View Post
    Something important to know if you run the RT43 tire in 215/60-15 size. I have this tire. It is not compatible if you have a rear mudflap on your RT. If you hit a large dip or bump in the road, the tire will hit the mounting bolts for the mudflap. There isnt enough clearance because the tire is taller than stock. I had to remove my mudflap. And stupid me, I just ordered and received another RT43 in the same size because I like having the speedo accurate. I might sell it to a friend and buy the Khumo 225/50-15.
    Joel, I also run the General RT 43 on my 2014RTS-SE6, I haven't had any problems, and I have 16,176 miles on the tire, and I have a lot of tread left.

Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Joel The Biker View Post
    Something important to know if you run the RT43 tire in 215/60-15 size. I have this tire. It is not compatible if you have a rear mudflap on your RT. If you hit a large dip or bump in the road, the tire will hit the mounting bolts for the mudflap. There isnt enough clearance because the tire is taller than stock. I had to remove my mudflap. And stupid me, I just ordered and received another RT43 in the same size because I like having the speedo accurate. I might sell it to a friend and buy the Khumo 225/50-15.
    Maybe you could use different bolts.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Will a General Altimax rt43 215-60-15 fit a 2012 rt-s or what size should I use

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default 215/60-15

Quote Originally Posted by Grayfox View Post
    Will a General Altimax rt43 215-60-15 fit a 2012 rt-s or what size should I use
    Yes ,,,,, if you have an after-market mud flap ............ use the smallest bolts possible ....some have had issues because of that ........... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default BK911.....

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Yes ,,,,, if you have an after-market mud flap ............ use the smallest bolts possible ....some have had issues because of that ........... Mike
    Not to worry. If they're too long they'll wear in to fit. I just put the 215/60-15 Altimax on my scoot and noticed it needs a little more throttle to achieve the same performance and torque. Did you notice that too? I think it's because it's a taller tire by a 1/2" or so.

Spyder Garage

Default abs problems.

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    Had to go with BK911, Peter and Spyder Ann. I just bought a General Altimax 215/60R15 and will install it next week. I pushed my Crappy Kinda to just about 7K and then installed a Kumho. I've gotten just about 20K on the Kumho with around 28 psi. I'll take the advice from BK911 and try 18 psi. on the Altimax, but that's quite some drop in air pressure. I put Federal Formoza on the front and I'm running 17 psi. and they seem to work ok.

I installed a 225-60-15 and my abs light is on the dealer says i need to stay with the 225-50.

Spyder Garage

Bump

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by luckylynn View Post
    I installed a 225-60-15 and my abs light is on the dealer says i need to stay with the 225-50.
    You can go with the Yokohama S-Drive in a 205/55-15 as its exactly the same diameter as the oem tire. We have installed quite a few of them for happy customers. Its a great tire for the Spyder, wet or dry.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

So I think the question is can you use a tire other then the original size tire without triggering an ABS fault? Lynn has put a 225 60 15 on the rear and got an ABS fault and his dealer is telling him that he has to go back to the original 225 50 15. I have not heard this before,do any of you know if this is true or is there some other problem. Or is there a way to erase the fault and go on with life with the 225 60.
    BTW this is a 2010 RT-s

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by luckylynn View Post
    There are quite a few Spyders out there running that 225/60R15 size without ANY issues, ABS or anything else, me amongst them....

So I suspect either you have a different make of tire to any of those that others are running (since actual rolling diameter sizes can be somewhat different than the true size) & that you just might have a 'different than most' size... or, somewhat more likely, that you have something else going on that has triggered the ABS fault light.

And knowing that some (many?) Spyders come with a spacer fitted to the rear ABS Sensor to make sure that it is 'flying' the correct distance from the notched disc that it 'reads', and that the rear disc brake caliper and that sensor both need to be unbolted & moved when you remove the rear tire to fit a replacement, I'd guess that whoever did the rear tire remove & refit probably put the ABS Sensor Spacer back on with the spacer in the wrong position, so the sensor head is now the wrong distance from the notched disc & it is giving a spurious reading, which results in that ABS Warning! Or maybe the sensor wire was used to support or carry the entire weight of the caliper while the wheel was removed, damaging the connection between the sensor & the wire??

Anyhow, while there is a slight possibility that the tire size itself is an issue, since there are so many Spyders running this size tire without any issues I doubt VERY MUCH that it's actually the tire size that's creating the problem here; I suspect that it's much more likely that the ABS Sensor has been fitted incorrectly &/or the wire or sensor itself has been damaged!!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!