Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Anyone fitted an oil catch can? Help would be great....

wanted to ask those who have installed one, as i always was thinking that my front valve cover gasket is my problem but now starting to think that this oil is coming from an air box as i been to used bikes dealer saw one 2012 RS with 2500 km on it and 2013 RSS with 2900 km and they were leaking oil same spot as mine it runs down on the engine and in between cylinder and drips on the ground from the gear selector shaft.
    So i've decided to install an oil catch can but cannot find any pics on the forum or google what type size of oil catch can to use and where is the best placement for it. if someones got some pics please share . thanks

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Even if you are able to accomplish this, it will do exactly what that is beneficial ??

I think nothing.

Spyder Garage

Default Crank Case Breather Bypass Filter

This one works very well for me and those who have tried it. It is not a Catch Can as they accumulate the captured oil and you have to drain them from time to time. I like this method because first, it works. 2nd, there is virtually zero maintenance and 3rd, it returns the oil to where it belongs, the crank case.

It's also very cheap to do with readily available parts and it is pretty easy to do as well.

Plus, with a real catch can, you continue to lose oil until the oil level gets down to where you stop losing oil through the crank case vent. With this little invention, you can run your oil level where it is supposed to be, full! You may burn some, but that's going to happen with the 998 V-Twin motor no matter what you do. And if your motor is burning oil, don't you want to start at the full mark instead of low on the dip stick?

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...ighlight=catch

Oh, and that's BAJARON by the way. A lot of people have trouble with the name...
    Last edited by BajaRon; 02-06-2018 at 11:05 AM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

It was a real issue with me until I put one of these into the crankcase vent line to the airbox. I removed the filter that came with it and put a small roll of green open cell foam into the glass cylinder.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/UNIVERSAL-6...ZZ-Fz2&vxp=mtr
    2008 GS SM5, Full Moon Silver
    2007 Piaggio MP3 - 250cc

Spyder Garage

Is this just like the BajaRon implementation? I don't see how the oil runs back...won't it just get stuck in the foam?

Quote Originally Posted by oldgoat View Post
    It was a real issue with me until I put one of these into the crankcase vent line to the airbox. I removed the filter that came with it and put a small roll of green open cell foam into the glass cylinder.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/UNIVERSAL-6...ZZ-Fz2&vxp=mtr

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dickgi View Post
    Is this just like the BajaRon implementation? I don't see how the oil runs back...won't it just get stuck in the foam?
    Gravity is a wonderful thing. Not only a good idea but the law.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Probably a good idea to clean the foam once in awhile anyway. I went ahead and ordered one of those units that oldgoat mentioned. I will try it out this season.

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    Gravity is a wonderful thing. Not only a good idea but the law.

Spyder Garage

thanks everyone for the input i like the idea of that inline fuel filter or bajaron but noticed it has in/out so its placed on a vent tube between crankcase and air box so the actual catch part catches the oil blowing by from crankcase to airbox i've attaching the pic how i understand it if im wrong please correct me catch.jpg

Spyder Garage

My understanding is the throttle body (or intake) is sucking the oil vapor from the engine and tries to burn it off (much like a pcv system). I don't think the in/out matters with the filter removed but I would install it as you suggest.

Quote Originally Posted by 09gs View Post
    thanks everyone for the input i like the idea of that inline fuel filter or bajaron but noticed it has in/out so its placed on a vent tube between crankcase and air box so the actual catch part catches the oil blowing by from crankcase to airbox i've attaching the pic how i understand it if im wrong please correct me catch.jpg

Spyder Garage

Default There you have it....

The fuel filter BajaRon mention works very well...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    The fuel filter BajaRon mention works very well...
    Just ordered one of these. Couldn't build one this cheap.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rectangle-B....c100033.m2042
    Will see how it goes once I get it.
    David

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Warlock View Post
    Just ordered one of these. Couldn't build one this cheap.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rectangle-B....c100033.m2042
    Will see how it goes once I get it.
    David

the catch can was my first thing i was aiming for but seriously in line filter with oil catch kinda net or something that hold most of the oil blow by in that inline filter and when engine idling or not running oil drain back to the crankcase itself using gravity, with the oil catch can you just going collect the oil in that reservoir and keep adding to the expansion tank to get the safe fuel level and plus you have to empty the oil catch can once in a while. i mean both methods works but that inline filter looks like less maintenance

Spyder Garage

the catch can was my first thing i was aiming for but seriously in line filter with oil catch kinda net or something that hold most of the oil blow by in that inline filter and when engine idling or not running oil drain back to the crankcase itself using gravity, with the oil catch can you just going collect the oil in that reservoir and keep adding to the expansion tank to get the safe fuel level and plus you have to empty the oil catch can once in a while. i mean both methods works but that inline filter looks like less maintenance
    I use to have one I built on another spyder and would look at the oil and if it looked good I would put it back in. No difference in catching it versus the other way. Only reason I like a catch can is when you engine sweats on the outside it is also doing the same thing inside the engine. As the engine gets hot it will mix the condensation with the oil which most times exits thru the crankcase vent. I really don't want the white milky stuff back in my engine. We use to call it dragon drool when we would empty the built in catch on the Honda Valkyries. It was built into the breather box but had a drain line on it so the stuff wouldn't go back into the engine.
    David

Spyder Garage

I have the "out" in your pic facing the base of the airbox. The crankcase hose feeds into the other end. The pic is upside down compared to how it looks on mine. Has worked well for me for a few years now.
    I didn't use the nipples provided in the package but pushed the hoses over the chrome hex ends & secured them with hose clamps.
    2008 GS SM5, Full Moon Silver
    2007 Piaggio MP3 - 250cc

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by oldgoat View Post
    I have the "out" in your pic facing the base of the airbox. The crankcase hose feeds into the other end. The pic is upside down compared to how it looks on mine. Has worked well for me for a few years now.
    I didn't use the nipples provided in the package but pushed the hoses over the chrome hex ends & secured them with hose clamps.
    to be honest i did the image rotation as it looked more logical to me as oil coming out from the crankcase been blocked by that inside mesh type of material and rerouting it to drip back to crankcase

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dickgi View Post
    It is important to use OPEN CELL foam. Otherwise, closed cell foam will get saturated and defeat the purpose. As mentioned, gravity takes care of returning captured (clean by the way) oil back to the crank case.

If you need some, PM me and I will send you a chunk. Otherwise you will need to purchase a lifetime supply of it!

Direction or orientation of the filter does not matter with this setup. It only matters if you are using it as a fuel filter.

You won't get any additional condensation using this little device. In normal use, the Spyder engine oil gets above the boiling point of water. This water vapor passes through the open foam filtration in this little device and exits, as it should, through the throttle bodies.

This really is a one stop fix all for the oil in the air filter issue.

Have fun!~

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    It is important to use OPEN CELL foam. Otherwise, closed cell foam will get saturated and defeat the purpose. As mentioned, gravity takes care of returning captured (clean by the way) oil back to the crank case.

If you need some, PM me and I will send you a chunk. Otherwise you will need to purchase a lifetime supply of it!

Direction or orientation of the filter does not matter with this setup. It only matters if you are using it as a fuel filter.

You won't get any additional condensation using this little device. In normal use, the Spyder engine oil gets above the boiling point of water. This water vapor passes through the open foam filtration in this little device and exits, as it should, through the throttle bodies.

This really is a one stop fix all for the oil in the air filter issue.

Have fun!~
    so how do you think is this inline filter is close or same as you suggested ?
    catch.jpg

Spyder Garage

so how do you think is this inline filter is close or same as you suggested ?
    catch.jpg
    Yes, this is it. You will also get hose barbs with this unit but there isn't room to use them. I just hose clamp the hose slipped on over the hex ends. If you like you can grind off the points on the hex and make it round for a better fit. But I've never had an issue just using it as it is.

Just be sure NOT to use the fuel filter insert. Replace it with the Coarse Open Foam Air Filter material. You want just enough foam to fill the void but it should have plenty of room to expand. Don't stuff or smash it into the glass housing.

I've gotten several PM's about which foam medium to use. And this is important. I use the Coarse Open Foam in this link (you can get it anywhere. This is just a starting point). I like the red because it displays what is going on inside the glass housing better than any of the other colors. But any color will work just as well as long as you get the Coarse, Open Foam.

Here is the link

https://www.bikebandit.com/aftermark...yABEgLtbvD_BwE

UNI Bulk Coarse Open Cell Air Filter Sheet. Other brands of similar construction will work as well. The 12" x 16" x 3/8" version is what I recommend for this project. I don't think you will regret it.

Last edited by BajaRon; 02-07-2018 at 02:33 PM.

Spyder Garage

Yes, this is it. You will also get hose barbs with this unit but there isn't room to use them. I just hose clamp the hose slipped on over the hex ends. If you like you can grind off the points on the hex and make it round for a better fit. But I've never had an issue just using it as it is.

Just be sure NOT to use the fuel filter insert. Replace it with the Coarse Open Foam Air Filter material. You want just enough foam to fill the void but it should have plenty of room to expand. Don't stuff or smash it into the glass housing.

I've gotten several PM's about which foam medium to use. And this is important. I use the Coarse Open Foam in this link (you can get it anywhere. This is just a starting point). I like the red because it displays what is going on inside the glass housing better than any of the other colors. But any color will work just as well as long as you get the Coarse, Open Foam.

Here is the link

https://www.bikebandit.com/aftermark...yABEgLtbvD_BwE

UNI Bulk Coarse Open Cell Air Filter Sheet. Other brands of similar construction will work as well. The 12" x 16" x 3/8" version is what I recommend for this project. I don't think you will regret it.

so i have to remove that white insert from the actual glass body? and can you sell some of that foam a little bit if you have extra i will pay for shipping as i'm in Canada Toronto area, just PM me with paypal info. thanks

Spyder Garage

so i have to remove that white insert from the actual glass body? and can you sell some of that foam a little bit if you have extra i will pay for shipping as i'm in Canada Toronto area, just PM me with paypal info. thanks
    Yes, you take the fuel filter element out (not designed for this application) and replace it with this foam.

Spyder Garage

Yes, you take the fuel filter element out (not designed for this application) and replace it with this foam.

ok sounds great just ordered :

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Uni-BF-5-Bul...NaTrSW&vxp=mtr

and

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/10mm-3-8-Uni...tZUxOp&vxp=mtr

can you please post some pics of how much foam you put inside the filter ?

Spyder Garage

ok sounds great just ordered :

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Uni-BF-5-Bul...NaTrSW&vxp=mtr

and

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/10mm-3-8-Uni...tZUxOp&vxp=mtr

can you please post some pics of how much foam you put inside the filter ?
    Pictures just show that there is foam inside the glass. You want just enough foam to fill the void without compressing it more than just slightly. It's a trial and error situation. But very easily done.

Spyder Garage

Thought I'd post a couple pics of my "catch can".........this was installed several years ago and is still in use on my 998, but like what has already been stated, it has to be emptied. As you can see the oil collected is approximately 1/4" deep, and this is after a 225 mile ride. It's kind of surprising how much oil, would have ended up in the air box. I would definitely recommend Baha Ron's method of catching and returning the oil to the engine. I just wanted to show the amount of oil collected in that many miles.
    Resized_20180211_172752.jpg Resized_20180211_173204.jpg

....and we're gonna ride, we're gonna ride.....

ride like the one-eyed Jack of Diamonds, with
    the devil close behind,.....we're gonna ride....

2008 GS.....PE # 2888

Spyder Garage

Hi mine all done fitting next week . Removed the white inner original filter fitted course foam . Really hope it works ,seems to be the case.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Big Arm View Post
    Thought I'd post a couple pics of my "catch can".........this was installed several years ago and is still in use on my 998, but like what has already been stated, it has to be emptied. As you can see the oil collected is approximately 1/4" deep, and this is after a 225 mile ride. It's kind of surprising how much oil, would have ended up in the air box. I would definitely recommend Baha Ron's method of catching and returning the oil to the engine. I just wanted to show the amount of oil collected in that many miles.
    Resized_20180211_172752.jpg Resized_20180211_173204.jpg
    You would actually have lost a good deal more oil into the air box without your catch can system. With your system, external atmospheric pressure is static. All you are dealing with is the positive pressure from the crank case. At Wide Open Throttle, and most everything above idle, there is at least a bit of negative pressure in the air box. Especially at the point where this crank case breather attaches. Even a slight negative pressure at the exit end of the hose will encourage oil to make the trip.

My catch device does not eliminate the negative pressure in the air box, which is actually designed to help relieve excess positive pressure in the crank case. Instead, it adds a matrix in line which allows air travel, but traps the oil droplets. As the oil droplets collect on the matrix, they grow in size the get too heavy for the airflow to keep them suspended. Then they drain back into the crank case. Just a different approach to the same result. They both work.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 05-15-2019 at 09:49 AM.