Thread: RT vs F3

Spyder Garage

Default RT vs F3

Quick question for the group. My RT Limited causes me shoulder and back pain on extended rides. I either have to consider changing to tri axis handlebars or maybe looking into an F3 Limted. The chief concern on switching to an F3 is potential loss of passenger room. The cost to have the tri axis handle bars installed would be around $1200 or so which I would probably never get back.

I could use some input from my Spyder friends.

Spyder Garage

Before you go that route, (either way is pretty spendy) have you tried adjusting your seating/riding position?
    How tall / short are you? I've ridden my RTL 15+ hours one day (within the first year of ownership) for an Iron Butt Saddle Sore 1000 and felt like I could ride more. I'm 6'1" and find I like the sitting up position the stock bars and floorboards and seat provide. Maybe Motorcycle Dave has some custom seat suggestions.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

If it comes to changing out the handlebars vs. changing the bike--handlebars wins IMO.

Farkles make the bike yours. Most people NEVER get a return on any farkle--except they liked it enough to put it on. Used farkles languish in the for sale ads for long period of time. It took me three years to sell a Corbin seat & backrest--for $175. I had over $800 invested.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Joel The Biker View Post
    Have you considered the comfort seat? I upgraded to the comfort seat because it moves you back about 1.5" so you dont feel cramped up against the handlebars. Made a huge difference for me. I am 5'11" tall and 300+ lbs. I suffer from lots of back problems but I never get tired or sore riding my spyder. A backrest might also help you.
    Me too on comfort seats for both RT's. They are my current choice for upline seats.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

The Tri Axis bars are spendy, but well worth the cost. After installing mine I was able to adjust the bars to a position that eliminated all upper back and shoulder pain. I also helped a friend install a set on his RT. After he adjusted them to his liking he reported that his back pain was eliminated as well.

I agree that a better seat should help. I did run the BRP comfort seat for awhile and it was much better, but the passenger area was too short - locking in the passenger (with driver backrest installed) that we finally went with a Day Long seat.

I just recently purchased an F3 for my self as I find the position to fit me much better. The RT will be my wife's, and I will help her adjust the bars to fit her.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

I cast another vote for Tri-Axis bars over a new bike. I would caution against changing too many variables at once; you won't know what contributed the most to a more comfortable ride. You'll get a lot of range of adjustment on the Tri-Axis bars. I agree with Joel that a backrest might help but IMO you would notice the most difference in favor of the BR on real long rides. I'm on the verge of getting one, but it has been the long 500+ mile days that is swaying me. Two, three, four hundred I'm fine w/o it.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

I agree completely with JayBros and the others who say “bars” first. If you move to the F3, you may still have shoulder and back problems requiring new bars and/or seat anyway, but you may also introduce leg problems from the different riding position. I would be surprised if the tri axis bars and a backrest didn’t address your back/shoulder issues on the RT.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Guess I will be the odd man out. 2014 RT. Played with bars, seat covers, seats, pegs, just couldn't get comfortable. So...just rode short trips. It was the riding position for me. Too many years riding forward control 2 wheelers. Then the F-3 came out. Rode it and WOW. But couldn't justify in my mind the $.

Then the F3-T came out, and another test ride and I was hooked. Its just suited to me or me to it, love, Love, LOVE it! Back, neck, legs all feel good , and would not hesitate to do an all day ride.

Current: "Scarlett", 2017 Can Am F3-T, SE6, Intense Red Pearl.
    BRP heated grips, DIY brake light strip and turn signal strips, Chrome/LED brake light tag frame, SpyderPops bumpskid, Baja Ron swaybar and billet links, Lamonster Third Peg, BRP Adjustable Passenger Backrest, SpyderPops Missing Belt Guard, ShowChrome oversize brake pedal, TricLED foglights.

Previous: "Synthia", 2014 Can Am Spyder RT, SM6, Pearl White.

Spyder Garage

My suggestion......before you start spending your retirement money, invest in a good laser alignment. You may be unknowingly fighting a miss-aligned bike. Get squared away and it is not money wasted anyway
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

I'l cast a vote for the tri-axis handlebars. My neck, shoulder and back pain also went away after changing to them.
    2014 Spyder RT Limited SE6
    BRP Tri Axis Adjustable Handlebars
    BRP Adjustable Wind Deflectors
    BRP RT Passenger Armrest
    BRP Driver's Backrest
    BRP Travel Cover
    Baja Ron Swaybar
    SpyderPops KOTTS
    SpyderPops Bump Skid
    Lamonster NVB Highway Brackets w/ Gripper Pegs
    Lamonster LED Headlights & Fog Lights
    Custom Dynamics HMT Brake Light
    Show Chrome 7.5 inch Spiral Antenna
    SpyderFlap Mud Guard
    Helmetlok w/ T-Bar Extension
    Hopnel 5PC Luggage Set
    Airhawk R Seat Cushion
    Rivco Dual Flag Mount

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default BACK ISSUES

My .02, If you don't have a backrest ( like from Utopia ) consider it .... and some folks here have actually put " Risers " on the ends of the RT handle-bars for less than $100.00, and they give many options for the seating position ...... Mike

Spyder Garage

Default BACKRESTG

Get an adjustable backrest and it will take the strain off on all bikes.

Spyder Garage

I just happened to get this in email today because I purchased another product from them. I'm not affiliated with them in any way. If you have back issues on and off the spyder, you may want to check this out. The only reason I gave this a second look is I was looking at something similar for when I'm working out. Just a thought.

https://www.backpainhelp.com/bikeandmotorcyclebackpain

Spyder Garage

Default TriAxis for me

My RT experience was similar to yours and the TriAxis bars completely and totally fixed the problem. They were worth every penny to me as I went from sort of enjoying the ride to loving the ride. I've heard many others resolve their shoulder and upper back pains with TriAxis. Search the forum for TriAxis discussions; you'll see. There's also no guarantee that a different bike will fix the issue as it likely takes a longer ride for you to experience the problem.

The best,
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by jzb54 View Post
    My RT Limited causes me shoulder and back pain on extended rides.
    2015 RT-Ltd SE6 and F3S SE6, both with a number of commercial add-ons plus my own tweaks.

Spyder Garage

Default Tri Axis bars

Tri Axis bars are the only way to go. Set them any where that feels comfortable. I made a trip from Bryan Ohio to Key West and back and changed the bar position twice not because of discomfort but just to have a different riding position. It's very quick and easy to do. Neil 2014 RTS.

Spyder Garage

I bought my tri-axis bars when I purchased my RT. It took me a while to find that position that was most comfortable for me. Sounds like this may be what you need too. It has great range of positions.

If you have GPS, you have to buy a new mount that fits the Triaxis bar. It's, of course, not cheap.
    2015 RT Limited: Fox Shocks - RonJon swaybar and links - BRP Comfort Seat - BRP Triaxis handlebars - Yokohama tires (26psi fronts 28psi back) - Centramatic wheel balancers - BRP belt tensioner - BRP Short windshield - CATdelete/Spyder1 attitude exhaust - Lamonster footpegs - sintered brake pads - LED TRYCLED lights - BumpSkid

2015 RT Limited , black