Spyder Garage

Default RSS 2013 Oil in air box...is this a real issue?

I have been reading about attaching a catch can to the 998 because some people found that the air box had oil in it. Is this a real issue? Some suggest that you not fill the oil tank to the full mark as this prevents the blow by. The posts that showed up in my search were rather old and I do not know if they are still valid. I just brought mine in for the 7500Km service and they replaced the air filter but did not mention anything about it being oily.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dickgi View Post
    I have been reading about attaching a catch can to the 998 because some people found that the air box had oil in it. Is this a real issue? Some suggest that you not fill the oil tank to the full mark as this prevents the blow by. The posts that showed up in my search were rather old and I do not know if they are still valid. I just brought mine in for the 7500Km service and they replaced the air filter but did not mention anything about it being oily.

It was a real issue with me until I put one of these into the crankcase vent line to the airbox. I removed the filter that came with it and put a small roll of green foam into the glass cylinder.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/UNIVERSAL-6...ZZ-Fz2&vxp=mtr
    2008 GS SM5, Full Moon Silver
    2007 Piaggio MP3 - 250cc

Spyder Garage

It is not clear to me from your post, if you have actual problem or looking for one. Some are a problem and some are not. As the years have gone by the problem has basically disappeared. My 09 was so bad oil would leak out on the right side if I did not clean out the airbox once a year. I put a small piece of open cell foam (piece of small engine air filter) in the vent line to reduce the amount. On my 13 there is a small amount of oil on the interior surfaces of the air box near the vent. Not really a problem. The amount of oil in the oil tank has nothing to do with how much goes into the airbox, but a lot of people seem to believe that. When I was on the factory tour in Valcort in 2014. I had an opportunity to talk with one of head tech people about some issues. Oil in the air box was one of them. His comments where. First a small amount of oil in the air box is considered normal. The root cause of excess oil in the airbox was excess oil on top of the head. That is caused by too much oil leaking out the camshaft bearing caps. The recommendation was when a valve check was required or any other reason to the remove the valve covers. Take off the cam bearing caps and apply a very thin layer of gasket maker to the surface and reinstall.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Default Well....

From what I have seen here it would seem that it was an issue with the earlier models. I have a 2012 and ryde aggresively and have never had a problem. I would check the filter from time to time and changed it to a K&N and never saw more that a residue of oil. I later removed the air box and have gone with the JT Machine Shop filter. You will see that they stress here the oil level check on the 998 and overfilling can cause this problem.
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the responses so far. Very helpful.