Spyder Garage

Default RSS 2014 Sway bar comparison

Hi, been riding for 4 moths now and looking for more of everything. So, as soon as I got my RSS I took to to dealer re sway bar. Baja Ron was what I wanted but dealer said he can fit OEM upgraded bar for RSS. Mine is 2014 and came with Fox Podium as standard so not sure why my RSS not as stock come with OEM upgraded sway bar. After install I did notice a significant improvement in turning though...

Anyhow, I am assuming that Baja Ron sway bars are thicker the OEM upgraded ones. I am not able to find any comparison. Any thoughts?

I believe even thicker bar should sort little understeer I still feel with RSS.

Also the hiem joints are original plastic items and not metal as come with Baja Ron kit. Will metal heim joints make any difference in handling if fitted to upgraded OEM sway bar?

Many thanks

Babr
    Akrapovic, RSS 2014, Philips LED, Upgraded Sway bar, more coming.......

Spyder Garage

Go directly to the source. Ron will answer all your questions.
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...rs-amp-Helmets
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I’d get those plastic links replaced. There is no such thing as an OEM upgraded bar, sounds like your dealer is pulling your leg. How much was his upgraded bar?
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Default Interesting....🤔

There was a time that they offered an upgrade which came with a better bar and Fox podium shocks. I ordered it for my RS 2012. When I recieved it the shocks were too long and the bar didn't fit. I sent pictures etc and they responded Ooops only fits 13's and up. After that they supposedly put them on standard on the RSS and quit offering the upgrade... but agree with the comments above...check with Ron...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

I think the "upgraded bar" for RSS is the RT's Bar. My '13 RT's original bar was coveted by and installed on an RS or was it an F3, and he said it was much better than his stock bar.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Default The Rest of the Story?

Quote Originally Posted by birubhai View Post
    Hi, been riding for 4 moths now and looking for more of everything. So, as soon as I got my RSS I took to to dealer re sway bar. Baja Ron was what I wanted but dealer said he can fit OEM upgraded bar for RSS. Mine is 2014 and came with Fox Podium as standard so not sure why my RSS not as stock come with OEM upgraded sway bar. After install I did notice a significant improvement in turning though...

Anyhow, I am assuming that Baja Ron sway bars are thicker the OEM upgraded ones. I am not able to find any comparison. Any thoughts?

I believe even thicker bar should sort little understeer I still feel with RSS.

Also the hiem joints are original plastic items and not metal as come with Baja Ron kit. Will metal heim joints make any difference in handling if fitted to upgraded OEM sway bar?

Many thanks

Babr
    All of the RSS models come with BRP's 'Upgraded' sway bar and Fox Podium shocks. That is one of the things that makes them an RSS as opposed to the other model spyders.

BRP made this, essentially an RSS upgrade kit with Fox shocks and slightly stiffer sway bar, available as an upgrade for the RS and ST models. The Fox shocks are a worthy upgrade if you do not already have them. But the sway bar is a complete waste of time. We tested an ST with just the RSS sway bar upgrade installed and no one could tell any difference. Then we installed the Fox Shocks with the original ST stock sway bar and the improvement was noticeable.

Since you already have the Fox shocks and you did notice an improvement and you did not get the BajaRon bar. I have to assume that they installed a stock RT sway bar. Many are doing this as it is usually less expensive than getting the BajaRon bar kit installed. Especially since you can still use the plastic Heim joint links (they were designed to handle the stress of the OEM RT bar). The dealers pay nothing for the RT Bar they removed when they installed a BajaRon bar. So their overhead on that product is essentially zero. It's a good bang for the buck upgrade.

It is hard to give a definitive gauge on the difference between a stock RT Bar on an RS, RSS, ST or F3 because everyone perceives handling improvements differently. It has a lot to do with your riding style and how aggressive you are. But from those who have gone from the OEM RT bar on these Spyders to my bar. The consensus is that you get about 1/2 the improvement with the OEM RT bar compared to the BajaRon bar.

Because the plastic links are designed to handle the stock RT bar. You are safe staying with them with the OEM upgrade. But the RS, RSS, ST, F3 BajaRon sway bar is stiffer than the OEM RT bar. And, of course, the RT BajaRon sway bar is even stiffer than that. This is why I require that my Billet Aluminum Heim joint links be installed with these bar kits. Because my bars are stiffer, the plastic Heim joint links are more prone to failure.

In testing we found that the plastic Heim joint links stretch. Even with the stock sway bar This stretching actually reduces or absorbs some of the sway bar energy transfer process and reduces the effect of the sway bar somewhat. Some have installed the billet aluminum Heim joint links on their stock sway bar to eliminate any possible breakage and have reported better handling.

Placebo effect? Maybe. I have never personally tested this. But we do know there has to be a physical improvement when you eliminate this stretching action. The stiffer the bar and the more aggressive you ride, the more the plastic Heim joint links will stretch.

Sorry to run on like this. I hope it helps clear things up for everyone. There is a lot of misunderstanding and even maybe some bad information out there regarding this whole sway bar issue.

If someone is looking to purchase one of my products I want them to know as much as they can about what to expect from the various options out there. That way there is a much greater chance they will get what they are looking for and be happy with their purchase. Regardless of whether they decide to get one of my products or not.

It's all about the ride!
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Thank you everyone for your inputs and BajaRon for the detailed note. I wanted BajaRon at first instance but was not in stock so guess the dealer offered whatever he could to make sale. I was charged 130 pounds and 1 hour labour.

I sent him an email following week requesting/suggesting heim joints (sent link to BajaRon website) should have been installed with the new sway bars. Anyhow, one learns with experience and sharing. So BajaRon conversion on way.

On lighter note, it is a gradual upgrade. I have started riding aggressive now and for first time realized engine stalling at 10K + riding (2 and 3rd gear). Need to do it more to see the problem. I see it a problem so may have to do some dyno. I never thought i'd go custom route with RSS. Not seen many PCV conversions.
    Akrapovic, RSS 2014, Philips LED, Upgraded Sway bar, more coming.......

Spyder Garage

The engine stalling at those RPM's could be from the nanny. There is a rev limiter on the Spyders. I don't know if anyone has a ECM flash for the RSS that will change the REV limit.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I believe the REV limit on the RSS is about 9800 RPM. When you hit that in any gear the Spyder will retard the engine to keep the REV's below the limit.