Spyder Garage

Default Noise while cruising

My 2014 RTL has always had an unusual noise when cruising. It is not obnoxious but just a little annoying. Wondering if it is normal. It sounds like noise coming from the intake of an engine. And if I had to guess, I think it is coming from somewhere below the dashboard area. Kinda like what you would hear if you took the air cleaner off an old carbureted engine. It's always there and doesn't seem to be effected by speed or transmission gear. I even thought it could be coming from the effects of the wind on my full face helmet or even the wind from the windscreen. But nothing I do with those changes the sound. It is just a constant droning. Makes my ears ring for a while after riding. I know I do have a fuel pump that makes noise most of the time but this seems to be a different noise. Any clues or thoughts....?
    Last edited by canamjhb; 02-02-2018 at 11:34 PM.
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Some 2014 RT's were known to have a noisy fuel pump.

I known mine that I just replaced had that problem and this past summer it seemed to be progressively getting worst.

Kind of like a droning sound like you say, but it was more noticeable at speed, especially above 60 mph.
    2018 RT LTD , Black

Spyder Garage

Default Interesting....🤔

Not being affected by gear or rpm makes me wonder if you have a noisy fan... otherwise possibly a air leak from one of the breathers hoses. Next time the plastic are off check all the hose connections and if you can spin the fan blades or blow air into the radiators...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

I partly agree with Gene that you might have a noisy fan but based on my experience you would only hear it intermittently when the fan(s) kicked on. I know my Spyder makes different noise than, for example a V-twin, but I am so hard of hearing that I can't really distinguish various different sounds at speed. Were I you and I had post ride ear ringing from the noise with a full face helmet I be hunting for ear plugs pronto. I find these plugs very good, can hear my music and GPS directions in headset but wind and other outside noise is very well muffled. They come with three different sizes of flexible domes so you can fit yourself most comfortably.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Why not take it to your dealer and ask a good technician to take it for a ride. Yeah, I know, that opens you to the simple customer gaff-off of, "They all do that" but it might be worth a try.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Could it possible be that part of the intake scoops cam loose from engine? that would give the "carburetor" style sound.
    2015 an Am Spyder RT Limited
    2013 Yamaha WR250R - Sold
    2011 Can Am Spyder RT-S SE5 Limited - Sold
    2011 Aspen Sentry Trailer
    2003 BMW K1200LT - Sold
    2007 Unigo Trailer - Sold
    2001 BMW K1200LT - Sold
    2001 Honda 750 NightHawk - sold
    2015 RT Ltd , Canamspyderaccessories Brake pedal ext. Red

Spyder Garage

Larry's comment is most appropriate. Have you had the frunk off the Spyder? I ask because helping a friend install LED fog lights recently we had to remove the frunk and when reinstalling is there is a large diameter rubber boot that connects to the air box and if you are not careful you may not get it fully seated and wind up with a leak that is below and just forward of the left side dashboard.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default AIR LEAK

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    Larry's comment is most appropriate. Have you had the frunk off the Spyder? I ask because helping a friend install LED fog lights recently we had to remove the frunk and when reinstalling is there is a large diameter rubber boot that connects to the air box and if you are not careful you may not get it fully seated and wind up with a leak that is below and just forward of the left side dashboard.
    I'm fairly certain this isn't the cause .....how do I know ....well I don't have that rubber Elbo at all, and my slip connection lets some air in because I didn't want a tight seal.....there hasn't been any water intrusion either .......In addition I have driven My RT 100's of miles without the Frunk on at all, so no Elbo either........ Mike

Spyder Garage

Default Possibly...

not hearing it ourselves hard to say but I don't see it being the air intake or those parts as they would be affected with any change in the throttle position.(speed increase or decrease) Would have to be something with a constant max movement. Could be wind blowing by some open area if only at a set crusing speed be even that would change some with speed and wind direction... If found would be interesting to know what it is....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Thank you gentlemen. I will post if this ghost is found. But not willing to start removing panels to look just for it. I will keep it in mind next time things are opened up. Think I will ask a buddy to try his RTL to see if his is the same. It may just be a normal 1330 sound. Kind of a throaty drone sound that may be normal.....?
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

I think I found the culprit and it is me. Today I went for a short ride to the store without my helmet . No issues. I think what is happening is the engine noise is resonating in my full face helmet, even with the face shield open. Quick fix, turn the stereo up.
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    I think I found the culprit and it is me. Today I went for a short ride to the store without my helmet . No issues. I think what is happening is the engine noise is resonating in my full face helmet, even with the face shield open. Quick fix, turn the stereo up.
    That always works for me!! Good job
    2012 RTL , Pearl

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Noise

Those Darn Full Face Helmets. Got to love them.
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue