Spyder Garage

Default Help with Brp communication system

My
    Use got 2017 Spyder RTS with gps, cb and entertainment system.

I can’t communicate with my passenger. We have the Brp headsets. I have vox turned up all of the way. If I push the ptt switch we can communicate but aren’ t we broadcasting on cb at that point.?

It seems like we should be able to activate the voice operated switch
    and talk just to each other.

I am missing something and if you could get me up the learning curve I would
    Appreciate it.
    Last edited by bobnaquin; 02-05-2018 at 08:28 AM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bobnaquin View Post
    My

I can’t communicate with my passenger. We have the Brp headsets. I have box turned up all of the way. If I push the ptt switch we can communicate but aren’ t we broadcasting on cb at that point.

It seems like we should be able to voice operated switch
    H and talk just to each other.

Appreciate it.
    Did you set it up for Vox?

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

My

I can’t communicate with my passenger. We have the Brp headsets. I have box turned up all of the way. If I push the ptt switch we can communicate but aren’ t we broadcasting on cb at that point.

It seems like we should be able to voice operated switch
    H and talk just to each other.

Appreciate it.
    Download the manual here: http://instructions.brp.com/content/...mber=219400611

About 2/3 of the way down are the instructions you're looking for.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by R30SHIRE View Post
    Did you set it up for Vox?
    After reading the manual given to me below I realized that I had VOX all the way up effectively turning it off. Thanks for your help.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Download the manual here: http://instructions.brp.com/content/...mber=219400611

About 2/3 of the way down are the instructions you're looking for.
    Thank you. Thank you. THAT was exactly what I needed. Next drink is on me.

Spyder Garage

Default More issues with BRP communication system

So I got the VOX to work. Thanks to those that helped

N
    When I turn up the speaker volume all the way the speakers are painfully loud. At the same setting the audio, intercom and gps are barely discernible in the BRP headsets. This is withvolume at maximum

Is there another volume control that controls headset volume. I have the one in the cb screen set to max. What little sound there is only comes through the left speaker in either passenger or driver headsets.

Help.

Spyder Garage

N
    When I turn up the speaker volume all the way the speakers are painfully loud. At the same setting the audio, intercom and gps are barely discernible in the BRP headsets. This is withvolume at maximum

Is there another volume control that controls headset volume. I have the one in the cb screen set to max. What little sound there is only comes through the left speaker in either passenger or driver headsets.

Help.
    Go into the Preferences screen. There are some headset settings there. I don't recall right off hand what they all are but you can figure them out. You can turn speakers off there also. The owner's manual doesn't explain them at all.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Spyder Garage

Go into the Preferences screen. There are some headset settings there. I don't recall right off hand what they all are but you can figure them out. You can turn speakers off there also. The owner's manual doesn't explain them at all.
    I went there and tried them all. They have little impact. The volume in the headsets is so low it is hard to discern what the controls are doing. I am convinced there is a repair needed and will visit the dealer on Tuesday to see if they have any ideas

Thanks for your help. I believe I just spent a lot of money for somethiing that could have been done with my $300 Sena headsets. After 10 years of owning Spyders, it is not the first time. The bike runs good so there is that.
    Cheers.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Those things are tricky.

It is possible that you now have the VOX set too far the OTHER way......and it is ON all the time, thereby muting the speaker output.

I had a hell of a time getting mine right.......and I don't even have a second headset or a passenger.

Just yesterday, I started out for a ride and the headset volume was WAY down.
    When I looked at the settings, a bunch of them had changed......and I did NOT do it. SIGH.

Spyder Garage

I am beginning to figure out that this thing has a mind of its own. I went out yesterday and I actually had to turn the volume DOWN on the intercom and radio. The right headset speaker is still out on the passenger and I have yet to hear anything over the cb although I have the squelch set pretty low.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The right headset speaker is still out on the passenger and I have yet to hear anything over the cb although I have the squelch set pretty low.

Check all of the cord connection points for the failing headset......including the one right AT the mounting point on the helmet.

It was a long time before I realized that there WAS a removable connection right at the helmet.......and that is the one that I found loose the last time one side was dead.

Terminology note:
    A low squelch setting lets all the noise through; a HIGH squelch setting lets almost nothing through.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    Check all of the cord connection points for the failing headset......including the one right AT the mounting point on the helmet.

It was a long time before I realized that there WAS a removable connection right at the helmet.......and that is the one that I found loose the last time one side was dead.

Terminology note:
    A low squelch setting lets all the noise through; a HIGH squelch setting lets almost nothing through.
    I did. It was not fully inserted. Now both headset ear pieces work. Thank you.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I did. It was not fully inserted. Now both headset ear pieces work. Thank you.
    Glad I could help.

Alas, I can't tell you what to do to keep the audio system from screwing with you occasionally.

Spyder Garage

Glad I could help.

Alas, I can't tell you what to do to keep the audio system from screwing with you occasionally.
    Do you have any idea what the fader controls do under the preferences ? How about the Headset Fr.? I feel I should be able to figure this out but thought I would get the benefit of you suffering through this.

Spyder Garage

Default fader contrils

they control the speaker volume from front to back if you fade to the rear etc. those speakers get more of-the volume

Dave

Do you have any idea what the fader controls do under the preferences ? How about the Headset Fr.? I feel I should be able to figure this out but thought I would get the benefit of you suffering through this.

Spyder Garage

Sena and similar are looking better all the time. I am thinking I am going to avoid all the electronic gizmos.

I am still liking my Rand McNally atlas. At three years old its getting a bit dog eared. Maybe time to update to 2018.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Fire34 View Post
    they control the speaker volume from front to back if you fade to the rear etc. those speakers get more of-the volume

Dave
    That is true of the "fader" controls.
    Not sure what the "headset fr" is.

I got MUCH better information with the CB installation kit.
    Maybe I should scan and post them sometime.

When I found a group of settings that worked, I stopped studying the details.

But it's a bit easier when you don't use the rear headset.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    Sena and similar are looking better all the time. I am thinking I am going to avoid all the electronic gizmos.

I am still liking my Rand McNally atlas. At three years old its getting a bit dog eared. Maybe time to update to 2018.
    It has been a long time since we chatted. I hope you are well.

Go with Sena. I spent $3400 on a full up BRP communication system and I have serious buyers remorse. The only part that works somewhat well is the helmet to helmet intercom. I had that with the Sena system I took off of my helmets. The only difference is that now I have to be plugged into the bike to use the intercom which I did not need with the Sena.

I ride with a group of Gold Wingers who use the CB. I have not tried it yet but I am not all that hopeful it will work very well.

The radio is okay but I don't generally listen to radio. Above 70MPH the intercom noise shuts off the radio. I don't like the idea of broadcasting through the speakers which are incredibly loud.

The GPS is okay. Not any better than the $150 one I had been using. I never worried about the $150 one getting stolen. Odd that there is now way to secure a $600 plus GPS to a bike.

I have been at this point with other BRP stuff. I will find the right combination to make it work somewhat. I bought this thinking I would not have to work at it at all. Silly me.

Spyder Garage

That is true of the "fader" controls.
    Not sure what the "headset fr" is.

I got MUCH better information with the CB installation kit.
    Maybe I should scan and post them sometime.

When I found a group of settings that worked, I stopped studying the details.

But it's a bit easier when you don't use the rear headset.
    I got the CB installation instructions from some kind soul on here. It does not cover the Headset FR. control. That is part of the preference screen under audio.

My passenger does not hear any more or less than I do. I am not sure how that makes it more difficult. I will keep at it until it wears me down.

Spyder Garage

It controls the ratio of volume in the headsets driver and passenger. Since I always ride solo I have mine set at 100% front.

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

It controls the ratio of volume in the headsets driver and passenger. Since I always ride solo I have mine set at 100% front.
    I have 'discovered' I think, that the Headset FR is the radio volume control for the driver headset. More negative makes it less loud. By placing this to a more positive setting my headset got a lot louder.
    Last edited by bobnaquin; 02-13-2018 at 06:32 AM.