Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Here's a photo of the front caliper after I finished installing it. Came out really nice.

2018-04-27 17.41.49.jpg

Spyder Garage

I just noticed yesterday that while riding the spyder, the headlights weren't on. They did turn on before, but now nothing. I can hear the headlight relay turn on, but don't know what else to check other than the connections and the blubs, which I have already done. Any recommendations on what else to check? Is there some secret menu setting on the cluster that I may have missed?

Spyder Garage

Default Tough one

Quote Originally Posted by supersuk View Post
    I just noticed yesterday that while riding the spyder, the headlights weren't on. They did turn on before, but now nothing. I can hear the headlight relay turn on, but don't know what else to check other than the connections and the blubs, which I have already done. Any recommendations on what else to check? Is there some secret menu setting on the cluster that I may have missed?
    Looking at wiring diagram it appears that if the relay clicks you should be good. Have you pulled the relay and tested for +12V on the switched contacts? I don't know if there is a diagram on the relay showing what the pinout is. I'd start there and work your way through the wiring.

Do all the other lights come on when you turn the key? How about the high beam flapper thing, do you get the relay click for that too? I would assume the wiring goes through the same branch of the harness.

Spyder Garage

Thanks for your input. I did not test the relay inputs. I'll give that a go. The high beam flapper thing is working because I hear a much louder click from the headlight when I push the high beam button. I don't have the turn signals plugged in yet, but I guess I can easily check those. The tail light does turn on when the bike is on and the brake light comes on when I push the brakes. Hopefully its just a problem with the relay...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by supersuk View Post
    Here's a photo of the front caliper after I finished installing it. Came out really nice.

2018-04-27 17.41.49.jpg
    Nice detail adding those caliper covers!
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DGoebel View Post
    Nice detail adding those caliper covers!
    The spyder came with those, so naturally I had to replace them. The calipers looked so plain without the sticker.

This past week I started all the sanding/painting work. Since 90% of the panels on this spyder was spray bombed black, I had to sand all of it off to make sure I have a good base for my paint to stick to. Basically all week was sanding sanding sanding until I had no finger prints. Then this weekend I painted all the flat black panels on the bottom, vents, and top two panels. The rest got primered for more sanding. I temporarily put most of the panels back on to make room in my garage for painting, I guess a great picture oppurtunity? I'm going to change the clutch line out since a portion of it was rubbing against a sharp metal edge. Would hate for the line to rupture and have brake fluid all over the newly powder coated frame and painted parts. After the clutch line is replaced, i'll install the top half of the head. Slowly getting there! I'm hoping to be completed with the spyder in about 2 weeks.

2018-05-05 17.38.59.jpg2018-05-05 17.39.08.jpg2018-05-05 17.39.17.jpg

Spyder Garage

Started painting parts on Saturday. The black parts were painted first, but came out horrible. I didn't reduce the clear enough so I had dry spray in some hard to reach spots. Definitely my fault since its been a couple years since I worked with the PPG 2021 clear. If you don't over reduce this clear, it is much harder to spray a nice smooth finish, especially in hard to reach nooks and crannies! Oh wells, i'll do those parts over. The burnt orange parts came out really well after my first reducing mistake. I've attached some photos for you guys to see. Do you think the orange is too burnt looking?

2018-05-15 14.53.33.jpg

2018-05-15 14.53.40.jpg

2018-05-15 14.54.22.jpg

2018-05-15 14.54.00.jpg

Within the next coming week, i'll have all the parts painted. Then the final touches of adding the rest of the body onto the spyder begins!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Maybe just a little too burnt. Not enough POP! Not sure if you were trying to duplicate the BRP color like my bike. Your burnt orange almost looks faded. Just my opinion though. You have a very nice finish though. I have painted a couple thousand cars about 18 years ago....LITERALLY! Honda Elements were available in a really nice metallic burnt orange if your looking for an easy color to find.
    DSC01180A.jpg
    Last edited by Joel The Biker; 05-16-2018 at 01:39 PM.
    2021 Sea to Sky RT , Highland green

Spyder Garage

Funny you mentioned the Honda Element. That is the color I picked out! It might be the lighting that makes it look faded. I'm only a hobby painter so I tend to forget a lot of things if I don't use the product often. So far, i've only painted a handful of cars and a bunch of motorcycles.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I thought about that. Sometimes pictures dont show the true color. That honda element color is awesome. My father had one that color. Your paint skills are very good for a hobby painter. Obviously your not scared to lay down the clear like some people are. I always lay the clear down they way I want it to look when dry. Amateurs usually put the clear on too light, afraid it will run. Your doing a great job with the resto and I enjoy reading this thread.
    2021 Sea to Sky RT , Highland green

Spyder Garage

I think you could open a Spyder service shop over and have no problem getting customers.
    2015 RTL , Yes Pearl White

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default BURNT ORANGE

Quote Originally Posted by Joel The Biker View Post
    Maybe just a little too burnt. Not enough POP! Not sure if you were trying to duplicate the BRP color like my bike. Your burnt orange almost looks faded. Just my opinion though. You have a very nice finish though. I have painted a couple thousand cars about 18 years ago....LITERALLY! Honda Elements were available in a really nice metallic burnt orange if your looking for an easy color to find.
    DSC01180A.jpg
    A couple of years back I painted another members Dash Surround and it is un-distinguishable from BRP's Cognac color .... I don't know if the op was shooting for that ....... Mike

Spyder Garage

Yup, gotta spray the clear how you want it to look. I do have some minor runs here and there, but those are easy to fix with some sanding and buffing. I wanted to paint the spyder this color after a CBR600rr that I had painted. Came out really nice so thought it would match the spyder pretty well. The CBR turned out to be a lighter shade than the Spyder, even though its the same paint code. Probably because its a different manufacturer? The CBR was PPG and the spyder is Nason. Obviously the Nason color matching isn't so great. The spyder seems to be a little darker.

IMG_0480.jpg

I also attached a picture of the bike after I put on the decals. Edited post so it shows below.

Painted the rest of the orange parts last night. Here they are.
    2018-05-17 19.00.10.jpg

2018-05-17 19.00.16.jpg

2018-05-17 19.00.21.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by supersuk; 05-18-2018 at 01:19 PM.

Spyder Garage

Painted the black pieces on Saturday and it turned out much better this time around. I did get two decent sized runs on the two front pieces where the fog lights are, but should be able to remove them with a little work. Here are some assembled pics of the Spyder. Almost there!

2018-05-19 22.48.18.jpg2018-05-19 22.48.07.jpg

Also put the new VIN sticker onto the swingarm. The reproduction quality is second to none! The top is the reproduction and the bottom is the original. Big shout out to BDesigns.

2018-05-20 14.15.13.jpg

Spyder Garage

Default Awesome...!!

Not much more on this journey of yours and looking awesome... like the details....even the sticker
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

The Spyder is complete! Put all the finishing touches last night. Here's a couple quick pics I took of it after I finished right before it started to pour rain. I'll get better pics when the weather clears up and I have a chance to ride.

2018-05-29 18.38.19.jpg

2018-05-29 18.38.04.jpg

Spyder Garage

Default Beautiful

Nice job! Looks great, and better than most from that year! Now, ride it!!
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

A job to be proud of.
    2008 GS SM5, Full Moon Silver
    2007 Piaggio MP3 - 250cc

Spyder Garage

Hats off to you. It’s a work of art and you know every inch of it.
    2015 RTL , Yes Pearl White

Spyder Garage

👌🏻

Spyder Garage

Default nice job

Thanks so much for all the updates, it looks awesome, I enjoyed keeping up with your updates.....Great Job......enjoy it

2016 RT-S Pearl White

BRP Driver Backrest
    Lamonster Spyderdock, (2) Spydercuffs
    Magic Mirror w/Doc Humphreys tethers
    (2) Rokform phone mounts
    FOBO
    SpyderPops Bumpskid,missing belt guard,Rear strobe LEDs
    Lamonster LED headlights & foglights
    Spyder Pockets
    LED front fender kit -running & turn signals
    Custom Back off mudflap
    Vinyl nameplate & 1330 triple decals by New Image Signs
    Custom RLS exhaust
    Hogtunes speakers 5 1/4 front and back
    Memphis Powersports Amp
    Her name is "Purl"
    2016 RT-S , white

Spyder Garage

Great job. It was a blast to follow your progress.
    New to Sue and I
    2021, LTD, Asphalt Gray, 22,000 miles
    Gone but not forgotten
    RTS 2011 SM5, 95,000 miles

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default SALVAGE TO GORGEOUS

Quote Originally Posted by Kredab View Post
    Thanks so much for all the updates, it looks awesome, I enjoyed keeping up with your updates.....Great Job......enjoy it
    as a DIY'er myself , I can really appreciate your efforts ........Mike

Spyder Garage

Month's later I just wanted to Thank supersuk for bringing us all along on this project. How does the paint look now, out in the sun. (He asks from just snow blowing another couple inches of snow on the feet of snow in his MN yard).
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Thanks DGoebel for reviving this thread........Congrats to supersuk on a Great job !!!!! This has to be one of the best threads that I followed while he rebuilt his Spyder. Just an amazing journey !!!!!
    PS......enjoy your winter......

....and we're gonna ride, we're gonna ride.....

ride like the one-eyed Jack of Diamonds, with
    the devil close behind,.....we're gonna ride....

2008 GS.....PE # 2888