Spyder Garage

Default Adding / Checking Coolant

Out checking on my baby today and took off the little access panel under the frunk that had the coolant picture on it. OK, I know some of you guys have to have bigger paws than me how do yo get the cap off to add coolant or how many more panels have to be taken off? 2013 RTL Thanks guys

Dave

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default coolant cap

Hey Dave. If you ONLY want to check coolant level like a go-no go check, most have adopted the technique of holding a flashlight up against the plastic reservoir from inside the right front wheel well. You'll be able to pick out whether you see green or not and about where the level is.

If you remove that facia panel from around the headlights, you can get much better access to the reservoir cap in order to remove it and replace it. Be careful when replacing it as sometimes the tab on the backside of the cap doesn't catch in the groove on the plastic. And be sure to turn the cap all the way to the end, not just when it starts to get tighter. And as long as that facia panel is off, there are a few bolts and fasteners back in there that can be checked for tightness.

To check the level more accurately with the cap off, I've adopted to using a pipe cleaner bent into an L shape. Stick it into the reservoir and use it like a dipstick. There's a very clear line where it is wet and dry. And since you've removed the cap, and let the air pressure equalize inside the system to outside, there is usually one little burp out the overflow the first time engine temp comes up nice and hot to release that extra air bubble.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Checking Coolant

The Flashlight TIP is the Better way to Check.
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

I've got mine apart right now because after I changed the coolant, I checked and couldn't see any color in the top of the tank. Had to pull the R side panels off in order to see that the tank was half full. Most likely air that was trapped inside finally burped out and lowered the level since I have seen no evidence of a leak. My plan is to take some LED strip lights and tape it to the side of the tank facing in and wire it to the lighting circuit. That way I will at least see if there is a glow of Pink (new coolant color) in there or not. Still a very poor design but you work with what you got.
    2010 RT SE5 , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Little Blue View Post
    The Flashlight TIP is the Better way to Check.
    I agree this is a good way. Then use a funnel and a piece of rubber pipe to refile the tank while the flash light shines on the back side of the tank.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MR. H1956 View Post
    I agree this is a good way. Then use a funnel and a piece of rubber pipe to refile the tank while the flash light shines on the back side of the tank.
    I did it that way until I went to the dollar store and picked up a turkey baster - works great!
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Thanks for posting Snowbelt Spyder! I did not know about the “burp” but every year when I do my complete check up and after checking coolant canister area, I noticed that after I opened the canister cap I always get the burp and got a little bit worried as to what it was. Now I know. Thanks a bunch!!!

SilverFox
    If you don't change anything,,,
    nothing is going to change!

Spyder Garage

How far down the pipe cleaner in inches is a full tank? Thanks

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

PM sent.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PW2013STL View Post
    I did it that way until I went to the dollar store and picked up a turkey baster - works great!
    I got a new battery bulb type filler upper(most of ya'll aren't old enough to remember those, the Turkey Baster is probably easier to find and probably cheaper) and put a piece of plastic tubing on the end. I keep it plugged while it's hanging on the wall in shop.
    2015 RTS SE6 Special Series Red/Black w/Magnesium front fenders(bought in Nov. 2018 w/9,400 miles)
    Dynojet Power Commander V, Power Commander POD-300 Display, PCV Map Switch, Pedal Commander (WOW)
    Passenger Arm Rests, Windshield Air Wing
    Baja Ron's Sway Bar & Spring Adjusters
    Air Scoops, LaMonster's Hiway Pegs
    Magnetic Mirror Mounts, Air Innovations Seat Cushion
    Red Chrome pin striping on Black hood
    Federal Formoza AZ01 front tires (they're GREAT)
    Kumho Ecsta AST KU25 All-Season Tire - 225/50R15 91H
    LED bars above radiator inlets
    LED brake/running/turn signals on license plate frame
    Tag-Along trailer
    LED headlights LED fog lights (WOW)
    2" x 2" Road Lights inside front fenders
    7' x 10' Cargo trailer
    Garmin 396 LM GPS
    RLS Cat-delete resonator with China Akropovic muffler
    New Banshee AGM
    M3 TPMS on front tires
    Remote Control for Heated Jacket and Heated Riding Pants
    Analog Clock and Analog Volt Meter
    Loose Nut Behind Handlebars
    2015 RT-S Special Series , Stock Spark Plugs Brake Pedal Extension Cherry Red/Black