Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default FOUND THIS ABOUT TIRES

I thought this was quite good explaining the differences of car & motorcycle tires & wheels. perhaps ppa wheel
    can tell us about the bead humps & measurements for their spyder wheels.

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/...-rim-tire.html

Spyder Garage

Very interesting re Rim and tire bead issues, but, the article is referencing a Goldwinger's perspective and much of it comes from something that doesn't apply to spyders, pretty much everything after the statement "And now a Motorcycle tire. They are much the same as a car but since the motorcycle MUST lean to turn....."
    I get what you're asking about PPA wheels too, have they been designed with a Car tire bead in mind, or a motorcycle tire bead?
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Default 1,000,000

OK, good info....
    however, with over 1,000,000 miles of CAR TIRES on our SPYD3RS, with NO recorded issues, i have to wonder if we are talking about APPLES & ORANGES vs. APPLES & APPLES....
    I personally have over 100,000 miles of riding my SPYD3R on car tires... and each time i've had my tires replaced, i've asked the shop if the rims of my SPYD3R are different from that of a car rim... the dealer i use most, also sells & mount motorcycle tires, and he told me that the rim on my SPYD3R look the same as car rim, and nothing like bike rims....
    with the amount of miles ridden on car tires by us here on SL, i feel safe and secure with my HANKOOKS up front, and my MICHELON out back.... giddy up....
    Dan P
    SPYD3R

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I'm sure there are some great pictures on that post but I can't see them. A spyder is not a Goldwing. I have run many miles on car tires on spyders, no problems, no warranty issues, no insurance issues, no issues!
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Spyder rims have a car style bead profile. Not a motorcycle style like a Honda would be.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

I've run a car tire on my Valkyrie for over 100,000 miles. No issues. Never heard of another Valk having bead issues.
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Spyder Garage

Default Great article....

The only difference is that these machines don't lean but the rest does apply. I don't fight the mainstream anymore and continue to use motorcyle tires with good mileage and shop for a fair price. You might note that the car tires will ride on the bead and not seat properly on a motorcycle rim and this will push the tire edges upward and they will wear faster as seen in some post even here. Still a great read and great research work...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default Found this.

rim profile.jpg

Reminder. The Kenda tires are not motorcycle tires. They are labeled as Special Motorcycle tires. That give us the hint that they do not conform to motorcycle standards.
    Last edited by billybovine; 01-31-2018 at 12:17 PM.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Again i think the one who could answer best is ppa, anyone who talks to them can you ask them to chime in?

Spyder Garage

Default Wheels & tires

That's like trying to read a book. A friend of mine rides a valkyrie and all he runs are car tires on the rear. He loves them but I wouldn't trust them on 2 wheels. Just my view but to each his own. There is a big difference in trying to lean over on 2 wheels in twisties trying to get that chicken stripe off the side of a motorcycle tire to the point of no return and running pretty much flat in a curve.

Spyder Garage

Seems simple to me. There are standards established for car tires (beads) and rims and different standards for motorcycles. So, which standard do the Spyders conform to.....?
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default SPYDER BEAD

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    Seems simple to me. There are standards established for car tires (beads) and rims and different standards for motorcycles. So, which standard do the Spyders conform to.....?
    Spyders are 99.8% similar to auto rims ....... and 50% similar to motorcycle rims ......... I'll let your logic take it from here ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Spyders are 99.8% similar to auto rims ....... and 50% similar to motorcycle rims ......... I'll let your logic take it from here ..... Mike
    Looks like one of those Mensa IQ puzzles (that I always flunk)
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post

If you really need it to be stated any clearer, I'd go so far as to say that Spyder rims really ARE passenger car rims - evidenced by the fact that some models of Smart Cars & a variety of other passenger cars use EXACTLY the same make & model rims as those we all run or can buy to run on our Spyder's front ends......

However, while the rear rim outer & bead profiles on Spyder rims are EXACTLY the same as those on every other passenger car rim, the hub & rim centre on the rear is a little different to most passenger cars only because it needs to carry the drive sprocket! Soooo, as Mike suggested above, we hafta agree that they are somewhat similar to motorcycle rims in that they are metal & designed to carry the black round things that we generally call tires! Still, as rims they are designed & constructed to comply with all the necessary requirements that not only allow them but also actually REQUIRE that they only ever legally run tires that conform to the design requirements of Passenger Car Tires....
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-01-2018 at 08:44 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

For those that are wondering, your stock OE Spyder wheels are designed similar to a car wheel. As for our wheels, we also have designed our barrel and flanges as a car wheel. All our wheels are tested to exceed JWL, VIA and SAE standards for radial fatigue, impact resistance and bend resistance. I believe the reason the OE tire states for motorcycle use only is more to protect from people installing them on a car as they don't seem to be rated for that type of weight. I personally run a car tire on my Spyder and our wheels without any issues as well as a noticeable improvement with handling.

Stock F3 Wheel
    20180202_151926_resized.jpg

PPA Wheel
    20180202_152016_resized.jpg Wheel Profile.jpg

Thanks
    Sean Phillips
    PPA Wheels
    http://www.ppawheels.com

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ppawheels View Post
    For those that are wondering, your stock OE Spyder wheels are designed similar to a car wheel. As for our wheels, we also have designed our barrel and flanges as a car wheel. All our wheels are tested to exceed JWL, VIA and SAE standards for radial fatigue, impact resistance and bend resistance. I believe the reason the OE tire states for motorcycle use only is more to protect from people installing them on a car as they don't seem to be rated for that type of weight. I personally run a car tire on my Spyder and our wheels without any issues as well as a noticeable improvement with handling.

Stock F3 Wheel
    20180202_151926_resized.jpg

PPA Wheel
    20180202_152016_resized.jpg Wheel Profile.jpg

Thanks
    Sean Phillips
    PPA Wheels
    http://www.ppawheels.com
    thank you very much for chiming in, i think we all appreciate your input and i know i do. makes me feel better
    when i install my vredstein's in april.

Spyder Garage

Default Newbie Tire Question

OK, be kind to the new guy here. I've owned my 2008 GS for almost a year. Time to replace the tires. I've read a lot of these tire posts-yes head is spinning. It seems clear to my uneducated mind that auto tires are the way to go. My riding is an occasional day trip on the country roads of the NW, but no long distance touring the states trips yet. I'm looking for a tire that will give my 200 lbs. body a comfortable trip. (Don't have a passenger and don't plan to.) It also sounds like the car tire performance may exceed the special MC tires.
    Looks like the General Altimax is on the rear end of many Spyders. Avoiding the Kenda sounds like a unanimous choice. Anything other than a Hankook ventus that people like on the front end? Thanks for sharing your knowledge and suggestions.
    Last edited by philbtv; 02-20-2018 at 12:42 AM.
    2008 GS , Standard Seal Floorboard extension with Spyder logo cut out and teflon spacers to raise it. Yellow/Black

Spyder Garage

Default Congrats on your GS Phil -

We have not had one of the lighter GS's but did enjoy the twin engine on our 11 RT for over 70,000 miles before trading. I would check out your options and if happy with your Can Am dealer and prices, stay with the Kendas. I take our wheels off and have our Discount Tire shop mount our tires and balance the fronts (have balanced the backs by hand) but have run OEM Kendas, a set of Michelins, 2 sets of Kumhos (F&Rear), several rear Kumhos, and now have a couple of Generals to try. We had some early balance/vibration issues on our 11 RT with a Kenda, and the quick wear out of the the Kenda rears especially the 2014 rubber compound, but I have run Kendas on two wheelers and I think they run okay.

I run the Kumhos mostly for their 25,000 mile wear life and good roll, and have put most of our 170,000 plus Spyder miles on Kumhos on the RT's. Right now I have a full set of Kumhos on my 15 RT, and the wifes F3T is still running the OEM Kendas on front with 20,000 miles so far, and a General Altimax on the rear for the last 7,000 miles plus. If you want long wear life and want to spend the money, look for that in a tire, but any of the tires mentioned have some features that people like, OR have a local supplier that people like to use. Your choice, just enjoy the RYde. Many more miles and Smiles on your GS!
    07 Shadows, Aero, Spirit gone but not forgotten
    03 Harley Sportster, 07 RK moved on
    11 RT- 76,000 mi, 15 RT-S- 44,000 mi, traded for current 15 base RT and 16 F3T
    2015 RT , OEM Black Gloss

Spyder Garage

Default Tire replacement

Thanks AeroP! I am waiting for the local Spyder mechanic to call me back and give me his thoughts too. I appreciate the suggestions. Trying to find that balance between tire wear and good handling - and will I actually notice much of a difference? It all helps so thanks again.
    Phil
    2008 GS , Standard Seal Floorboard extension with Spyder logo cut out and teflon spacers to raise it. Yellow/Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

RobMorg took a REAL close look at a Spyder rim, and an automotive rim; side by side. He said that the Spyder rim is indistinguishable from it's automotive counterpart
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black